The Bicycle Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do any of you guys do modest gravel rides anywhere in Central or Eastern NC? To me, this is prime riding season and I am itching to try some new routes. I am not a maniac, I like to do 25-35mi rides at a modest pace, stop and smell the roses or meet dogs or whatever. For context, I ride every inch of the Umstead MUT system and average ~13mph, American Tobacco Trail I average 15-16mph, my daily after-work route is 13-15mi generally averaging 13mph (suburban streets + greenways + some dirt, plenty of stop-and-go and pedestrians accounts for the low speed). I go out to enjoy the ride, not race or set PB's.

I just created an account on RideWithGPS and have saved some routes, specifically the Gravel Grinders at URE and Holly-something game lands in Pender County (both have 25-27mi segments). Got a couple others bookmarked, and would love to go with anyone who's out to enjoy the ride, not kill themself. Prefer to stay around ~2hrs from RDU.

Yes I ride an ebike, if that turns you off I get it.

If you're an ArcGIS user, there are some maps online for gravel roads in NC but with the Legislation in the 80's-90's to pave all gravel roads, there just aren't a lot around any more... I had fun exploring the Croatan National Forest a couple years ago an will probably try the Croatan buck-fifty (only the 50 for me) in March...

Do any of you guys do modest gravel rides anywhere in Central or Eastern NC? To me, this is prime riding season and I am itching to try some new routes. I am not a maniac, I like to do 25-35mi rides at a modest pace, stop and smell the roses or meet dogs or whatever. For context, I ride every inch of the Umstead MUT system and average ~13mph, American Tobacco Trail I average 15-16mph, my daily after-work route is 13-15mi generally averaging 13mph (suburban streets + greenways + some dirt, plenty of stop-and-go and pedestrians accounts for the low speed). I go out to enjoy the ride, not race or set PB's.

I just created an account on RideWithGPS and have saved some routes, specifically the Gravel Grinders at URE and Holly-something game lands in Pender County (both have 25-27mi segments). Got a couple others bookmarked, and would love to go with anyone who's out to enjoy the ride, not kill themself. Prefer to stay around ~2hrs from RDU.

Yes I ride an ebike, if that turns you off I get it.
I live right off the tobacco trail. Olive chapel rd. Sometimes I veer off and do some back roads which don’t have much traffic.

Sometimes I ride umstead as well. Doing a figure 8 starting from lake Crabtree.

I usually average 16-17 and slow down for pedestrians and road crossings. 20-35 miles depending on how much time I have.

Let me know when a good time to ride is. Usually I’m down

There are lots of gravel roads in and around the Uwharrie Forest area. I ride there often and usually tie in gravel roads that are just north and just east of Hwy 109 from the forest. It's easy to get 35 to 40 miles of riding the gravel roads and OHV trails in the forest and if you need more, exit the north end of UW on Blaine road, cross 109 and hit Center Methodist Church and go East. All kinds of gravel out there.

I ride the UW Gravel Grinder event every year and will be doing the Croatan Buck (not Buck 50) this March.

If you are over this way for the ONSC Xmas party on Saturday (12/3) and want to ride, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom