The beginning to a facelift! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my stock FJ 60. Let's see what she looks like after new wheels and 3 inch lift...
photo 1.JPG
photo 2-1.jpg

This is what I'm on the hunt for:

Engine swap talk, do I keep my inline 6 with 232k miles or do I swap it for American muscle? What type of problems will I encounter if I go with a different engine?

Is there any way to add power to my squirrels now?

I just purchased 33's and will have a 3 inch comfort lift installed in a few weeks, do I need to do anything to my gears because of this upgrade?

I want leather seats, anybody know of a good place that will upgrade my upholstery in LA?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

So what's the end game with the truck? Will it be a DD? Mostly camping light wheeling? Rocks, hard trails? Lots of sand? Mostly street? All of the above? Focusing in on a goal often helps to guide the build.

Engine opinions will span the whole range from keep it stock to go wild. I did a 3FE swap in mine because like you I have to pass Cali smog. The 3FE keeps it all land cruiser which I wanted to do but rest assured, as you will read, many many folks are very happy with American made engine swaps. As long as the engine is equal year or newer and retains it's smog equipment you can get it through the smog ref no sweat.

2F's can make more power but most will advise to keep it well tuned and let it be a 2F. It's choking under all the smog stuff but not a whole lot we can do about that here.

I will let others discuss the gearing. I have 31's and am happy with stock gearing.

I plan to just use seat covers. If you search on this you'll find that lots of people have swapped in seats from other vehicles. Maybe one will strike your fancy.

Frank

Thanks Frank! Its already my daily driver and I plan on keeping it that way, however I do like to use it for what it's worth, I prefer trails, not much rock climbing but if one comes across my trail I expect to get over it. My truck only sees sand ones a year and that's in pismo. The thing that bothers me is going up hill, I'm a huge beach rat and commuting from the 101 across Kanan Dume to PCH makes my teeth grind! All I want is a bit more power to drive straight up without having to move over to the slow lane. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

My 2F pulled the Baker Grade at 65 MPH and probably faster with the 31's. Otherwise it fell on its face pretty fast after 2500 RPM. As the engine got tired though my freeway hill climbing performance suffered notably.

Not knowing the condition of your engine it's a bit hard to say exactly what to do but I would say, if you haven't already, do a compression test to see where you are at. Adjust the valves and make sure the timing is right. If you have acceptable but lower compression numbers you might just decide to live with it rather than put effort into the 2F and maybe save for another engine type. I lived in the midwest for a bit and desmogged my 2F which really improved idle, fuel economy, and power. However, upon returning to Cali all that had to change so out went the engine which was tiring anyway. I wish there was a cheap magic bullet for the old engine but desmogging is the closest thing I know of and we can't do that.

Part of loving a stock FJ60 is letting be just what it is, an old FJ60. That said I really enjoy the truck with the 3FE swap and I'm sure many others will echo their satisfaction with their engine upgrades.

33's are probably not going to help the hill climbing at all. They will bring RPM's down on the flat highway but you will lose torque at the wheel do to decreased mechanical leverage. That's not to say many here aren't happy running 33's with stock gearing. Maybe consider 31's for now? I have to say I haven't done 33's yet so I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

As far as lifts I don't think you need to go too wild (no need to go spring over, or even 4" of lift). There are a good number of quality options out there. I'd say search a bit. There is so much information it's almost overwhelming but good info none the less.

Since our trucks have been around so long the lift kits are very well dialed in thus it's hard to go wrong. Here is my write up. Also search OME, Mojave, etc...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/480019-hell-creek-lift-pics.html

Frank

Have owned both a 62 and a 60 I found the 3fe with auto to be quite tolerable on the highways, and I'm in AZ with 75mph speed limits out of town 65 in. I sold it and got a 60 and absolutely hated my 2f and 4spd. Within a year it had a TBI 5.7 and 4l60e. If I would have kept the 62 I would never have done an engine swap, if that is any help.

Having said that a TBI 5.7 is not a huge power house by any means but I can cruise at 70-85 mph and not slow down in the mountains even with 3.73 gears and 35s. I absolutely love driving a 60 with a v8. Mileage isn't bad either 13-14 around town 17 at 70mph on the highway 15 at 85.

Basicially If you swapped a 3fe in with the auto, or better yet a 5spd ( the Toyota auto really sucks some power) I would bet you would be happy.
If you drove a v8 60 you will be spoiled forever.

The 3fe swap will be much easier and probably cheaper for what you can get a 3fe for. They go for pretty cheap most of the time and are a lot closer to bolt in than any other option. I gave my 2f away with 160k miles... I've seen 3fes for under $600 often. I have never driven one but I would bet a 3fe with the 5spd is a pretty nice setup because even with the auto it was adequate. The 5spd should wake it up quite a bit.

Some. The H55F has a lower 1st gear and an overdrive. However, if you can't hold speed in 4th you won't hold it in 5th either.

Now that I have the 3FE I REALLY want that 5 speed since it's so much easier to drive faster.

Frank

I think it would help off road because of a lower first gear and on flat ground with the overdrive 5th but its not going to do much for you on the hills. Your already getting the power gain from a manual with the 4spd.

The 3fe has 30hp more (155hp) vs a 2f (125hp on a good day in perfect tune) and 20 more lbs of torque.

From my experience the 3fe drives much better than a 2f even with the automatic. I think with the 5spd it would be a pretty solid setup.

I can't say for a a440 but typically the rear wheel hp difference between an auto and a manual is between 6-10%. I would guess the a440 to be on the high side of that.

My two cents: I daily drive my 60, it has a V8 and it brings a smile to my face everyday.

If I need to pass someone; I leave it in 5th and just press the pedal. If I need to pass someone and I'm on steep hill; I downshift into 4th and press the pedal ... maybe ... if I'm not feeling lazy.

Wow... What a buttercup. That vehicle may be one of the cleanest I have seen... Looks like zero rust, zero chrome chipping, zero damage. Lucky!!!

And, holy hell - you can see reflections in the paint. Mmmm.

Yup! All original and ALL ORIGINAL!!! no rust :) Now I'm looking for these rims, any idea where I can find them? or suggestions on what type to sport on my 60?
image-1109802424.jpg

Now I'm looking for these rims, any idea where I can find them? or suggestions on what type to sport on my 60?

The original FJ40 wheels look very similar to these.

1967TLC, when you went 383 with your tbi what did you do chip, intake, and injector wise? Sounds like a pretty mean setup. My 5.7 tbi is stock and I love it I can imagine how much go that 383 must have.

1967TLC, when you went 383 with your tbi what did you do chip, intake, and injector wise? Sounds like a pretty mean setup. My 5.7 tbi is stock and I love it I can imagine how much go that 383 must have.

I like to compare a stock 350 tbi to the nice girl next door that you would be happy to take home to mom. Silky smooth. A 383 is more like that girl that smokes and has a tattoo and does things to you your mom never told you about! A bit rough around the edges.

Turbo City in SoCal burned my chip and matched my injectors. I would have to do a bit of digging to get the exact info.

I like my 383. It is not a smooth engine, you know you have a tiger under the hood! I have climbed 6% grades in 5th gear. It nice to know you have the grunt when you need it. I do know there is a direct connection to how big a grin I have on my face in relation to my gas mileage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom