The beginning of a slow build, welcome "Beast" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rejoined the Toyota club last May with a very nicely maintained FJ62. Bone-stock with meticulous maintenance records. I hope I've done the Previous Owner proud, he had called her "Lola" and treated her very well.

IMG_1401_zps120406f7.jpg

What do you get a Landcruiser for it's upcoming 200,000th mile? I decide to treat mine. It was a four step process

1. Take the rust out. As you can see by the first picture, I had some of the classic wheel-well rot. A big shout out to Clint at Class n Kustom. If you have body work to be done in the Portland area, I highly recommend you check them out. Straight-forward, courteous, and in my case, fast.

2. Get the lift on. Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters got me set-up right with OME Medium up front and heavy in the back. It was a very long and very cold Saturday with my dad, brother, and a friend who helped. It's great having ASE-certified mechanics, engineers, and LC owners in the family.

3. Get some proper wider wheel. I was able to find some perfect alloys on Craigslist and got them at a fair price. If anyone recognizes them, let me know. They are stamped "Made in the USA" on the back. Clear-coated them myself to keep them clean.

4. Get the new wheels shod in some proper rubber. I went back-and-forth on this A LOT as everyone seems to. I actually had some KO's 33x10.5x15 on-order, but canceled after reading mixed to terrible reviews about their snow performance I went with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in 33x12.5x15. I was a little concerned about the extra width, but they look great and the handling still seems tight and the auto tranny really seems to be handling it well.

Here are the obligatory poser pics.
IMG_2060_zps8cf92350.jpg

IMG_2061_zps5f75bb42.jpg

So I've rechristened it "Beast", more as a nod to my favorite childhood comic book character, the intelligent and agile Hank McCoy. I know compared to most rigs on this forum, it's tame little truck.

I'll get her in the snow soon and let you know how the new rubber performs.

A big thanks to EVERYONE on this forum as I would be lost and broke with out it. Now i'm just broke.

Great looking truck and welcome to the MUD.
I am in the same boat as you as I want something that will do well in the snow and ice and have been tossing around the Duractrac, BFG TA, Firestone A/T, etc as what will be my investment when I need new tires for this car. However, I am also contemplating new 16" rims in which case I have heard stellar things about Cooper S/T MAXX's.

That there is a really clean looking rig. Looks good with the bigger shoes.

Oh, and LandCruiserPDX- don't call it a car as GregNash has indicated :D

cool beans, nice rig. BCPDX is another Portland wagon owner, we should institute a monthly happy hour wagon meet here in Prostland.

Do you plan on wheeling it at all?

cool beans, nice rig. BCPDX is another Portland wagon owner, we should institute a monthly happy hour wagon meet here in Prostland.

Do you plan on wheeling it at all?

That would be great BC! Yeah, I'm definitely going to be taking it to Browns Camp to mess around and see what she can do. She's not as clean as she looks in the pictures so I don't mind taking her out and gettin muddy.

I was recently inspired by this post: http://www.pnwadventures.com/forum/where-explore/24994-places-explore-2013-a.html
I think I'll check out Lolo Pass first.

totally, we're doing one of the back road discovery routes this July but we're taking the more family friendly Pathfinder.

I'm running the Rubithon this year in the 62 though, want to caravan?

You're going to love those Duratracs, I had a set on my Tundra before I sold it and there are about 15k on my wife's set and they look brand new (lol), rain, snow and ice no prob.

Great looking rig! I would love to see it in person!

Also we have a happy hour meet and greet in PDX. Its every third Thursday at Buster BBQ on Barbur Blvd at 7pm;)

Thats this Thursday if you are so inclined.

Clint

btw the wheels are American Outlaw II

I like it. Would look a lot better with those chrome strips on the doors and front fender removed.

I love putting retro style wheels on these. Retro now is what new was back in the 80's :hillbilly:

Great looking rig! I would love to see it in person!

Also we have a happy hour meet and greet in PDX. Its every third Thursday at Buster BBQ on Barbur Blvd at 7pm;)

Clint

A. 7 PM is not happy hour

B. I have a builder assoc. mtgs every 3rd Thursday

C. Who said that you were invited to our new LC club?

D. Are you doing Rubithon this year? Are any of the Cascade Cruiser peoples?

E. When are your headed out to TSF next?

F. I like turtles.

A. If I am there and you are there then every hour is happy hour

2. We are looking at having alternative days and times to accommodate different schedules

III. Not only am I a member I am the VP

D. No Rubicon as of yet, Cruise Moab and the wagon train leaves Apr 28th

R. Soon, you could join the CC forum for run details

6. Two words: web redemption

Is Cruise Moab pretty family friendly? I'm already committed to Rubithon this year, but Cruise Moab might be in the stars for next if I bring the midgets.

I like it. Would look a lot better with those chrome strips on the doors and front fender removed.

Aggghhh! You're in my head Kline. I had Clint give me a bid and I just could justify the cost just now. Those things drive me nuts too. I'm not going to do a total de-chrome, but i definitely what to take those door bumpers off some day and the chrome on the rain gutters as well.

You're going to love those Duratracs, I had a set on my Tundra before I sold it and there are about 15k on my wife's set and they look brand new (lol), rain, snow and ice no prob.

That's great to hear. As soon as I saw them on, I felt better about the decision

Clint

Thanks Clint, I don't know if I'll make it tomorrow, but will definitely track you guys down. BBQ? good. Drinks? good. Cruisers? goooooood.

Oh, and thanks for the wheel ID!

90FJ said:
Is Cruise Moab pretty family friendly? I'm already committed to Rubithon this year, but Cruise Moab might be in the stars for next if I bring the midgets.

Last hijack and we will leave it to the beast. Cruise Moab is very family friendly. Both in terms of attendance and the trails. I would not take my family with me during Rubithon. PM me if you want details.

So what's next for the beast?

Clint

yeah, the midgets are staying home for this one. just my dad and I.

if the beast was mine I wouldn't touch the exterior, something about a clean 60 on just OME/33s looks perfect to me. mine had a salvage title and s***ty paint to begin with so I don't mind ruining it.

IMG_2061_zps5f75bb42.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom