The Beer Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
I was just thinking that we have a great collection of good beer drinkers here.
So here is a thread on everything beer. Post new brews you've tried. New brews you've made or anything about beer really.

Reaper Ale Redemption Red Ale

reaper-ale-redemption-red.png

Picked up two of these in Asheville last week. Was pleased to see that the brewery isn't that far from my old stomping grounds so I can visit when I go back.
Price wasn't that bad $5.75 for a 25 ouncer.

The taste is a surprise. It’s a mix of familiar elements combined in a way I’m not sure I’ve experienced. Initial response is that we have a mix of a red and a brown in flavor as well as in color. It’s malty grain up front, with the sweetness supporting as undertones. A robust nutty flavor reminiscent of pecans comes first, along with some red fruit, maybe overripe strawberry. In comes the sticky caramel. The hop side is considerable. Citrus hop flavors rise up enough to balance out the sweeter flavors and add a crispness that keeps the experience refreshing. The finish is long and enjoyable to the end.

blanchebruxelle.jpg

My favorite White beer. Had it the first time at the Saucer and found it in bottle form for $2.50 in Asheville.

previously labeled Mannekin Pis (look at the label and you’ll know why). A refreshing beer with a hint of citrus with a dryness that clings to you. :grinpimp:

The strongest / worst tasting beer i ever had was EKU28 in Germany. I loved Germany because you could go into any little town over there and try a new beer out.

Sad part is i quit drinking by the time i turned 21. Started at 14 though.

Last edited:
Stone - San Diego County Session Ale

VERY good collaboration craft brew from Stone. Not high alcohol content for once - I like it better that way personally. It's nice to drink more than about 7 or 8 beers without stumbling :)
sandiegosessionale.jpg

VERY good collaboration craft brew from Stone. Not high alcohol content for once - I like it better that way personally. It's nice to drink more than about 7 or 8 beers without stumbling :)

That's a good one

This may be in the wrong direction - but I drink light beer most of the time because I drink too much on a day-to-day basis for full calorie beers.

Is there a better tasting light beer than Yuengling Light? For 99 calories each I think it tastes pretty great and its available in most grocery stores.

This may be in the wrong direction - but I drink light beer most of the time because I drink too much on a day-to-day basis for full calorie beers.

Is there a better tasting light beer than Yuengling Light? For 99 calories each I think it tastes pretty great and its available in most grocery stores.
i

sure there is.... sam adqams light and amstel light comes to mind...... but if im thinking cheap its coors light for me

Al you need to lead a beer tasting session at one of our upcoming events. I mean a proper one: I read your description of that Redemption Red (never tried it) and could not imagine picking out all of those elements.

Yeah, but at 3.8% for Yuengling Light and 98 calories, comes out to about 26 calories per 1%. Carbs are 6.6g. About $20 a 12 pk.

Take Flying Dog IPA at 188 calories and 7.1% comes out to the same 26 calories per 1%. This one only has 10g of carbs. $10 a 6 pk..

You've got to drink 2 Yuengling Lights for every Flying Dog to get the same Acohol%

To summarize on the side of drinking the better beer and less of it, and you're taking in less grams of carbs (-3.2g) and saving $10....

You've just got to be a smart drinker... is there such a thing?

:beer:

Last edited:
Yeah, but at 3.8% for Yuengling Light and 98 calories, comes out to about 26 calories per 1%. Carbs are 6.6g. About $20 a 12 pk.

Take Flying Dog IPA at 188 calories and 7.1% comes out to the same 26 calories per 1%. This one only has 10g of carbs. $10 a 6 pk..

You've got to drink 2 Yuengling Lights for every Flying Dog to get the same Acohol%

To summarize on the side of drinking the better beer and less of it, and you're taking in less grams of carbs (-3.2g) and saving $10....

You've just got to be a smart drinker... is there such a thing?

:beer:

I have done this math before too and you are right - however, if I want to hang out and drink, it's hard to "throttle back". It's scary how many empty calories and carbs I consume between Friday and Sunday - no drinky during the week for me.

:beer: R

I have done this math before too and you are right - however, if I want to hang out and drink, it's hard to "throttle back". It's scary how many empty calories and carbs I consume between Friday and Sunday - no drinky during the week for me.

:beer: R

You know, saving up your beers is actually considered binge drinking... :) But I'm the same way...

Al you need to lead a beer tasting session at one of our upcoming events. I mean a proper one: I read your description of that Redemption Red (never tried it) and could not imagine picking out all of those elements.

I can write well like that, talk about it though...... I don't really like too. One of my favorite quotes (and I can't remember who said it) is "The written word is where your intellect lies, the spoken word is for your gossip side."

Sometimes I just feel creative.

Finding beer locally which is mostly the grocery store - I've been very happy with the hoptober and the skinny dip (though this was much harder to find on a regular basis) from fat tire. Otherwise it's a constant flow of Amstel............

rogue_double_chocolate_stout-150x150.gif

images

Two of my favorite "seasonal" beers. Seasonal meaning I normally only drink them around xmas time. I like the youngs a tad better from the bottle/can but on draft it is just about impossible to find. The pour house down the street from work (where i'm planning my office holiday party) has the rouge on tap. :clap:

Only other times that I will use them is in a beer milk shake..... friggen awesome.

Winterbock = yummy

winter_bottle.png

Had a nice Winterbock @ Gordon Biersch last night (brewery/restaurant chain - none in NC though).
Can also find it in the bottle/keg in NC though!

The Winterbock was very flavorful - reminded me of two of my other favorite beers combined! Smithwicks & Highland's Cold Mtn.

Nice dark flavor, but not heavy like a stout, nice seasonal sweetness undertone.

Their official description:
WinterBock is a strong, dark beer that was used by eleventh century Bavarian monks to help sustain themselves during winter fasts. These creamy bocks ensured that the monks would fast frequently. Gordon Biersch WinterBock is a classic dark double bock featuring 4 different types of malt: Munich malt, pilsner malt, dark roasted caramel malt, and black malt. This is a big beer with a lot of body, and is available seasonally from November through January.

Alcohol Volume: 7.5% Bitterness: 26 IBU Residual Sugar: 4.6%
Yeast Strain: Weihenstephan 34/70 Lager Yeast Hops: Hallertau aroma

California chain..... been a while since i've seen some biersch.... used to be an after work hang out in burbank CA..... right by warner bros and disney. Hang out for many of the stars after a shoot also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom