The Beast -- (Mis)Adventures of my 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about a year overdue for starting this build/documentary thread. Here goes. I'm going to try and include a bunch of photos with this to help other 60 owners who may run into the same issues I have. The first little bit won't have a ton of photos, but the pace will pick up towards the more recent work.

Mine
I bought it in not-quite-working state. The previous owner had neglected the power steering pump, which bled onto the smog pump, which froze it up, which prevented the water pump from spinning, which kept the truck from moving. It also meant that it was past due for CA smogging. This was a project vehicle, but importantly, the body is rust-free, the engine runs, and almost everything works most of the time.

First steps, rejigger the belts so only the alternator and water pump were being driven. Drive the truck away from it's old home to it's new home. Next, drop the paperwork off at the DMV making it officially mine. Finally, drive it to my mechanic who managed to source a Toyota PS pump for a very reasonable price. After replacing the smog pump, PS pump, and a couple of old vacuum lines, it passed smog. Now work could really begin.

Radio Upgrade
MSdWGOz.jpg

The truck has an aftermarket AM/FM radio with tape (and only tape) deck which picks up quite a lot of static. I bought a bluetooth action speaker and clipped it to the low-range gearstick. I now have about 8 hours of music and hands-free calling capability, so long as I remember to charge the radio up every now and again. Cost was maybe $20 for two from FUL 3-piece Hardside Luggage Set. Bonus in this shot: you can see the ugly aftermarket carpeting.

The Carb "Dryer"
The previous owner had disconnected the carb cooler because, on the advice of his friend, it was only necessary for when you were driving through deep water and it would somehow magically blow air into the carburetor to keep it dry from water splashing into it, thereby preventing the engine from stalling. I just smiled and nodded. I was having some issues with hot starts, re-plugged the carb cooler in, and hot starts were no longer an issue. It works perfectly... I don't really know why he unplugged it.

New Battery
Costco batteries work great. Easy fix, no longer needed a jump start if the engine didn't start within five seconds. I duct-taped some cardboard into a rectangle to shim the battery so it won't slide around in the tray— the new battery is either smaller physically than the original, or the hold down doesn't grip it as well.

2WD LO Mod
There are some really good threads out there on how to do this. You remove the rubber boot from the shifter and remove/notch a small piece of steel until the shifting mechanism can move forward from 4LO "up" into 2LO. Here's a couple photos of the steel tab and a video that shows more clearly what bit of metal has to be removed.
NGN2RUD.jpg
MX4Bu5D.jpg

I had a hard time visualizing what needed to be removed, hence all the photos here. I used an M12 rotary tool (Basically a bigger/fatter Dremel) to make the cuts until I could bend the steel back and forth enough times to cause it to break off.
LFtQZkr.jpg

Dynamat (Ongoing)
The interior was powerfully ugly and not a great place to spend a lot of time. I ripped out the old, ugly, carpet to find the factory carpet still underneath. It wasn't even close to salvageable— it looked like the Kool-Aid man died in the truck, and his sticky blood was everywhere. I bought Noico 50mil sheets. This stuff does two things; firstly it cuts vibrations down. Secondly, it reflects heat. This should keep transmission heat out, AC in, and make the cruiser more comfortable to ride in on trips out to the desert.

Removal:
MMqWPvX.jpg

The carpet is held down by the plastic sills in the doors, by a few interior components that bolt through the body (seat belts, seats, gear stick anchors, etc.) and some kind of glue that had long since deteriorated into hopes. I cut the carpet out and used a shop-vac to get as much of the old jute out as possible. I used a big wire brush to remove the rest of the jute, and shop-vac'd again. Eventually, this:
ya5AzKx.jpg
turned into this:
EnzlvpA.jpg

I've actually managed to get it even cleaner since. The less of the old jute, the better the new insulation can stick. My factory vibration dampening material was still in good condition, and the Noico instructions said to go right on top of it. Who am I to argue with laziness?

(I still need to write up how to install it, tips/tricks with the roller, and sealing cracks with foil tape)

I need to find a good source of automotive jute padding to go on top of the Noico insulation. This will reduce noise even further, make the carpet a bit nicer, and also hold water away from the metal. The foil-backed insulation should help tremendously with rust inside the body from wet shoes, etc. but if you're going to do this much work, you may as well do it right.

Last edited:
Hey, what's that?
4G9tC8z.jpg

Don't be shy little guy!
eazzsg8.jpg

Oh. Crap.
olcxfNq.jpg

Toyota mixed steel and aluminum. This results in galvanic corrosion. The short explanation of that is... these metals love each other so much, they want to weld themselves together and never, ever, let go. Ever. For our thermostat housings, what that means is the bolts try to become one with the housings. At the gap where the upper and lower housings come together, there's a tiny gap, and the bolts below that point can be fused with the housing and above that they can either be fused with the housing or, like it my case, try to come free.

8ILFUsu.jpg

My rituals and sacrifices caused three bolts to come out without a problem. I got two full bolts and two half bolts... total of three. :)

Supplies needed:
C1n9xPu.jpg

93XRT8z.jpg

Bolt extractor kit + center punch to remove the stuck-in bolts. Red RTV to help attach the new gasket (not pictured, <$3 at the local AutoZone), anti-sieze, and red Loctite. Why Loctite? Because we're upgrading these bolts to corrosion-resistant studs, and those studs are going to stay in the lower housing. I got the idea from this thread. Also not pictured— helicoil kit. Ultimately those two bolts never came out.
RkIr0eX.jpg

Didn't stop me from trying, though.
lGxE2qS.jpg

Ugh. Note the shop rags and towels shoved into the thermostat housing. You don't want anything getting into the cooling system. I shop-vac'd the rags before pulling them out to ensure nothing fell in as I was pulling the rags out.

3dDkaNP.jpg

At this point it was pretty simple. Drill out the bolts, tap the hole, insert helicoil. My first time doing helicoils, but after a couple of mis-steps it was pretty simple.
lUrxqh0.jpg

Super, super, super important step comes before this... test fit! Loctite won't let go. I did this because I don't want the helicoils to get pulled out of the (comparatively soft) aluminium, and because these studs are designed to be a permanent addition to the truck. I checked the fitment of everything before undoing it all and applying a small amount of Loctite. Some people might object to using the red or permanent Loctite, but I wanted confidence this wasn't going to pull out of the housing no matter temperature or pressure.

qia7EBm.jpg

Once the studs dried in place, it was a simple matter of applying RTV and the gasket. I erred on the side of too little here. It helped to keep the gasket in place, but I don't think it's really doing much more. See how nicely aligned the studs keep the gasket though? Pretty nice.
tP0c8iL.jpg

I did apply anti-seize to the studs as well. It wouldn't do me any favors if the corrosion-resistant bolts turned out to be not-so-corrosion-resistant and ended up welding to the upper housing. Cheap insurance.

qw8x13a.jpg

This was actually a test fitting before I bolted it all down. The helicoil hanging out on the bolt was one I had dropped, found, and screwed on for safe keeping. (It's also a good idea to check to make sure that even though you think you bought the right stuff, it all actually will fit together. Mistakes can happen in ordering and packaging.)

I'll take one of the final product... I seem to have forgotten to do that. Oops. Make sure to order JIS nuts, which are 12mm, and match the original bolts as well as many other parts of the truck. A deep 12mm socket made re-installation a snap.

“deteriorated into hopes”

I’ll have to remember that line :D

Painful to to see someone have to go through all this. Pleasure to see it have a happy ending.

Painful to to see someone have to go through all this. Pleasure to see it have a happy ending.

It took some time. Also not pictured: attempts at heat, penetrating oil, and the sacrifices of virgin handmaidens. Fortunately, just being patient and not doing anything rash paid off.

Is the dynamat helping already?
There is nothing on top of it right now?

cNkrmBv.jpg

The dynamat cut interior temperatures down significantly. My phone couldn't sit in the center console pen holder area without overheating before; now it gets a bit warm, but doesn't overheat. I didn't take noise readings before or after, but it feels a lot nicer.

DxEhcv7.jpg

Not going to lie, it was a major pain in the ass to take everything apart, clean it, scrape the old crap off, and get good adhesion with the new stuff. I laid it on top of the factory's existing sound deadening (motto: It's the Thought that Counts) because that was still in good condition. I would strongly recommend spending the $200 on material + $10 roller tool to install it + a couple weekends to do it all.

0gFwDNf.jpg

I put down a layer of closed cell foam padding on top of the dynamat— it's sold in bulk at Home Depot, and is used for packing things like dishes. This layer helps to give some cushion on top of the Noico material as well as protect it. On a hot day, a hard stomp on the floor like when leaping into the truck could "dent" the material. The foam helps to protect against that... as well as feel nicer underfoot. The foam should give some more insulation of both sound and heat, too.
NoZ3FZo.jpg

You can see the foam in the bottom-right corner. This was a test-fit of the carpet. It's outdoor-rated RV carpet... not as nice as OEM, but the finished product isn't bad if you have the patience for it. It's also hard to argue with $20 for carpet.

Looks great man, solid work!

It's on the short list for mine. I actually have an AC and am going to tint windows to try to help keep the cool air in to help with the Alabama summers.

Looks great man, solid work!

It's on the short list for mine. I actually have an AC and am going to tint windows to try to help keep the cool air in to help with the Alabama summers.

PM me if you go this route. Lots of suggestions and advice. I'll see if I can get some time to doing a more in-depth writeup of the tips and tricks I learned. Even without 100% coverage of the entire interior it made a huge difference. My truck has AC too, but I don't use it that often.

Hey, what's that?
4G9tC8z.jpg

Don't be shy little guy!
eazzsg8.jpg

Oh. Crap.
olcxfNq.jpg

Toyota mixed steel and aluminum. This results in galvanic corrosion. The short explanation of that is... these metals love each other so much, they want to weld themselves together and never, ever, let go. Ever. For our thermostat housings, what that means is the bolts try to become one with the housings. At the gap where the upper and lower housings come together, there's a tiny gap, and the bolts below that point can be fused with the housing and above that they can either be fused with the housing or, like it my case, try to come free.

8ILFUsu.jpg

My rituals and sacrifices caused three bolts to come out without a problem. I got two full bolts and two half bolts... total of three. :)

Supplies needed:
C1n9xPu.jpg

93XRT8z.jpg

Bolt extractor kit + center punch to remove the stuck-in bolts. Red RTV to help attach the new gasket (not pictured, <$3 at the local AutoZone), anti-sieze, and red Loctite. Why Loctite? Because we're upgrading these bolts to corrosion-resistant studs, and those studs are going to stay in the lower housing. I got the idea from this thread. Also not pictured— helicoil kit. Ultimately those two bolts never came out.
RkIr0eX.jpg

Didn't stop me from trying, though.
lGxE2qS.jpg

Ugh. Note the shop rags and towels shoved into the thermostat housing. You don't want anything getting into the cooling system. I shop-vac'd the rags before pulling them out to ensure nothing fell in as I was pulling the rags out.

3dDkaNP.jpg

At this point it was pretty simple. Drill out the bolts, tap the hole, insert helicoil. My first time doing helicoils, but after a couple of mis-steps it was pretty simple.
lUrxqh0.jpg

Super, super, super important step comes before this... test fit! Loctite won't let go. I did this because I don't want the helicoils to get pulled out of the (comparatively soft) aluminium, and because these studs are designed to be a permanent addition to the truck. I checked the fitment of everything before undoing it all and applying a small amount of Loctite. Some people might object to using the red or permanent Loctite, but I wanted confidence this wasn't going to pull out of the housing no matter temperature or pressure.

qia7EBm.jpg

Once the studs dried in place, it was a simple matter of applying RTV and the gasket. I erred on the side of too little here. It helped to keep the gasket in place, but I don't think it's really doing much more. See how nicely aligned the studs keep the gasket though? Pretty nice.
tP0c8iL.jpg

I did apply anti-seize to the studs as well. It wouldn't do me any favors if the corrosion-resistant bolts turned out to be not-so-corrosion-resistant and ended up welding to the upper housing. Cheap insurance.

qw8x13a.jpg

This was actually a test fitting before I bolted it all down. The helicoil hanging out on the bolt was one I had dropped, found, and screwed on for safe keeping. (It's also a good idea to check to make sure that even though you think you bought the right stuff, it all actually will fit together. Mistakes can happen in ordering and packaging.)

I'll take one of the final product... I seem to have forgotten to do that. Oops. Make sure to order JIS nuts, which are 12mm, and match the original bolts as well as many other parts of the truck. A deep 12mm socket made re-installation a snap.
Did you tighten down the studs with vice grips? Is that about how far down they'll sink into the lower housing?

Did you tighten down the studs with vice grips? Is that about how far down they'll sink into the lower housing?

The bolts I had to drill out and helicoil meant I got to choose how deep they'd go. I did my best to go as deep as possible without drilling all the way through the housing. The ones I didn't have to drill out, I tightened down as much as I could. I just put two nuts the stud and used that as a bolt-head. Went until it was snug. Just a bit more than finger tight really.

The studs just have to be solidly in the housing, the top part is clamped down with bolts. It doesn't need to take a lot pressure, just enough to compress the gasket and keep the coolant in.

The bolts I had to drill out and helicoil meant I got to choose how deep they'd go. I did my best to go as deep as possible without drilling all the way through the housing. The ones I didn't have to drill out, I tightened down as much as I could. I just put two nuts the stud and used that as a bolt-head. Went until it was snug. Just a bit more than finger tight really.

The studs just have to be solidly in the housing, the top part is clamped down with bolts. It doesn't need to take a lot pressure, just enough to compress the gasket and keep the coolant in.
The studs you bought from Belmetric would've been the correct size/part even if you didn't drill? I'm hoping i won't need to drill but i like the idea of switching over to studs for the housing. I may just replicate your order. Unless there's something you would've done differently looking back...

The studs you bought from Belmetric would've been the correct size/part even if you didn't drill? I'm hoping i won't need to drill but i like the idea of switching over to studs for the housing. I may just replicate your order. Unless there's something you would've done differently looking back...

Correct, the studs fit without drilling. I had to drill mine because two bolts had corroded into the fixture (steel + aluminum + heat + electricity, c'mon Toyota!), but if yours come out easily then it should be a five minute job. Looking back, I don't think I would have done anything differently when it comes to the studs. If you have a tap, maybe chase the threads in the aluminum before you sink the studs in to clean them up. That metal is pretty soft. The upside is, you'll never have to deal with this again if you do the upgrade.

For $20 in parts, it was a solid addition that addresses a potential failure point on these trucks. I'm really glad that I made it out of the desert that day without the truck spitting coolant everywhere— that wouldn't have been any fun. Good luck with yours, let me know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom