The beast arrived.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
Against popular demand, I am officially back in the cruiser game.

I had a locked 80 series that I enjoyed for 2years, got the itch to try something new and bought an H1....that got old quick.

I was ready to pull the trigger on GX locally when my cousin, 2 states away, saw a CL ad for an LX 470. He checked it out that night and I wired him the money the next day.

He brought it to the local Toyota dealer who I had replace the timing belts, cam and crank seals, heater tees and few other items.

I had no plan on how I was gonna get the vehicle to me 1000 miles away, but I wasn't too concerned, I just wanted this rig. By chance a few days later our tenants gave notice they were moving out. (Perfect!) My wife flew in, worked on the rental, and brought it back late Sunday night.

Plans going forward: lift, larger wheels, front bumper, winch, sliders...

I haven't had time to fully go through it, but overall it seems mechanically sound, lots of maintenance records. The AHC has been replaced with strutmaster, which I think will make installing the lift easier...?

The only "issue" is a thump when shifting from P to D or R. The PO took it to the dealer, they greased it and said there is nothing wrong....but there is no way the thump is normal. Any ideas??

Oh and it looks like Toyota didn't address their burned out "D" lights in the 80-series and brought that "feature" to the 100 series.

Anyway, here it is:

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

Wow nice find with the non-NAV! What year is it? And nice job on getting some pm done to it before you receive it.

If the PO removed the AHC system then yes that will make installing the lift a bit easier. Although I can't be certain since I don't own an LX but it definitely won't make it any more difficult.

As for the clunk, there are countless threads on this forum and yes some of them address the grease zerks in the slip yolk & u-joint. But IIRC another possible cause could be excessive wear of the splines in the hub flange. Might be worth checking out since it's an easy thing to inspect.

And last but not least, the burned out D light. The majority of members on this forum seem to think of that more as a perk than a nuisance. Take a drive during the night down a dark road and you will appreciate not having a bring green light in your field of vision. Of course this is one of those "to each their own" mods and maybe that is something you would like to fix, but mine went out about 3mon after I got my rig and I don't miss it one bit.

Thanks, I didn't know the non-navi was a find....guessing with the back units you are stuck with it as climate is also included..?

It is a 1999, 220k, timining belt last done at 100k, so it was definitely due. Oh, also, no rear locker ;(

Good idea on checking splines, that makes sense. I had read a few posts on it in the past, but haven't yet done my OCD research on it, glad to hear it is is common.

The "d" light doesn't bother me, if it was as simple as a bulb, I would do it....but if I recall in the 80, it was more involved, I am fine without.

Next up, swapping fluids that don't have recent records of change...mainly the diffs and transfer case.

Wow nice find with the non-NAV! What year is it? And nice job on getting some pm done to it before you receive it.

If the PO removed the AHC system then yes that will make installing the lift a bit easier. Although I can't be certain since I don't own an LX but it definitely won't make it any more difficult.

As for the clunk, there are countless threads on this forum and yes some of them address the grease zerks in the slip yolk & u-joint. But IIRC another possible cause could be excessive wear of the splines in the hub flange. Might be worth checking out since it's an easy thing to inspect.

And last but not least, the burned out D light. The majority of members on this forum seem to think of that more as a perk than a nuisance. Take a drive during the night down a dark road and you will appreciate not having a bring green light in your field of vision. Of course this is one of those "to each their own" mods and maybe that is something you would like to fix, but mine went out about 3mon after I got my rig and I don't miss it one bit.

I intentionally did not replace the "D" bulb in mine when I replaced the "P" bulb. Seeing that thing blare at you at night makes you appreciate it not being on.

Body looks great, paint still nice and bright from pictures. My D light on my 01 LC has also burned out, I like it that way.

It is a 1999, 220k, timining belt last done at 100k, so it was definitely due. Oh, also, no rear locker ;(

None of the U.S. spec LX470's were available with a rear locker. That year model LX does have a 'Limited Slip' rear diff however.

In 98-99 the LX (U.S. Spec) came with a limited slip rear diff standard. The same year Land Cruisers had an 'option' for a locking rear diff.

Both models then went to Atrac in 2000+ IIRC.

Good deal, then I don't feel left out for not having a rear locker!

None of the U.S. spec LX470's were available with a rear locker. That year model LX does have a 'Limited Slip' rear diff however.

In 98-99 the LX (U.S. Spec) came with a limited slip rear diff standard. The same year Land Cruisers had an 'option' for a locking rear diff.

Both models then went to Atrac in 2000+ IIRC.

Factory nav didnt start until '01. Not missing anything.

Looks just like mine. Not perfect so new scratches don't matter but nice enough to still be "nice".

I'm curious if you know anything about the headunit that is installed? Did the PO do that? I need bluetooth and pandora in my 00 and from what i've ready, swapping out a Nakamichi is a major PITA.

Great looking truck!

I did not do it. PO has been great, do you have some specific questions you want me to ask him?

Curious if he found a plug and play harness or if it was a custom job, and what surround/hardware was used to mount it.
I had the Nakamichi and had a Pioneer AVIC-8200 installed last year. It wasn't plug and play, but my local installer didn't have any issues. I gave them the info I found here Stereo Wiring: Land Cruiser / LX 470 (1998-02) and all was good. I think they charged $180 for install and that included installing the satellite antenna and backup camera.

I love the tech. It made my 2000 LX current. As a matter of fact it's a lot better then the entune system that was in my 2016 TRD Pro 4Runner and my wife's 2016 limited platinum Highlander.

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

Curious if he found a plug and play harness or if it was a custom job, and what surround/hardware was used to mount it.

I contacted PO, he said he did it himself following the walkthrough located at tlcfaq.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom