The Archdiocese FJ45 FST Factory Soft Top (Troopy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not only are the cruisers here fabulous, but the photography is too FJ4043...

I've taken the liberty of downloading lots of your pics from this thread for my already-overburdened screensaver picture-storage-folder..

:clap:

Go ahead........not me.... it's Nikon

To continue the story

Finally the FJ45 arrived.

As I had bought the truck through personal information and pictures, and never had seen it in person, I was of course very curious how the Troopy had been holding up after 33 years of abuse by the these very sweet nuns.
Pics are made by cell phone.

FJ45 01-02.jpg

FJ45 01-01.jpg

FJ45 01-03.jpg

FJ45 01-07.jpg

unfortunately there was some transport damage on the soft top, and some paint damage.

FJ45 01-08.jpg

FJ45 01-09.jpg

FJ45 01-10.jpg

Like it's color is white, I noticed it is pretty easy to inspect on rust etc.

FJ45 01-05.jpg

FJ45 01-12.jpg

FJ45 01-13.jpg

FJ45 01-14.jpg

Both of my Troopy's miss these bolts on left and right side, can I assume that these chassis bolts simply don't get put in since new by Toyota ????

FJ45 01-11.jpg

Im looking forward to clean it under totally with a small pressure washer on a couple of very sunny days.

Better would be to do a total frame disconnect, detail it and screw everything together again, but I simply don't have time for that.

:cheers:

let me be the first to say WOW :)

very nice!!!

minor issues :)

soft top canvas ooks like it was replaced later... not original canvas

Thank you Johnny,

The original soft top is still with it, and it is not even thorn or ripped but replaced because it was discolored and dirty.

The leather/vinyl cover under on the hump/front floor boards looks like fantastic craftmanship. I assume it's aftermarket but if so, very well done. More pictures!

FJ4043,

On those missing body mount bolts:

I can't imagine why Toyota would place the rubber donuts between the body and the frame without a bolt to keep things in place. Likely there would have been an "under" donut as well with large flat washers on both sides and a fixing nut or two, as on the example on the support tower close by in your photo.

Some of the body mount bolts are double-nutted by the factory, others have nuts with nylon inserts to keep them from backing out.

Perhaps there was a complaint about rough riding in the back of the Troopy and a local mechanic loosened up things for the ladies?

A closer inspection of this area might be warranted.

Wish the land cruisers here had been owned by nuns...

Seems like they know how to keep them pristine ...

or perhaps these nuns were especially devout and succeeded in getting divine help just with this one....;)

FJ4043,

On those missing body mount bolts:

I can't imagine why Toyota would place the rubber donuts between the body and the frame without a bolt to keep things in place. Likely there would have been an "under" donut as well with large flat washers on both sides and a fixing nut or two, as on the example on the support tower close by in your photo.

Some of the body mount bolts are double-nutted by the factory, others have nuts with nylon inserts to keep them from backing out.

Perhaps there was a complaint about rough riding in the back of the Troopy and a local mechanic loosened up things for the ladies?

A closer inspection of this area might be warranted.

I can't confirm or deny what is correct on the mount/bolt scenario. But I can confirm that I have 3 Troopys, 1 Australian HJ47 & 2 European BJ45's, and they are all exactly like the pic. Mount, but no bolts & they look very stock to me. It would seem unlikely to me that so many examples would all be the same, and it not be correct. But I can also see where it could simply be an example of a bad design where we are all showing the same symptom. Not sure which is right.

And I'm going to go ahead & put my name on the list as, "interested buyer" if you ever go crazy & sell this truck for some reason... :). Does that give me first dibs?

Best,
abe

MissingBolts.jpg

So the mount shown in your photo (that's missing its through-bolt) is the No.7 mount I've circled here in purple .... Right?

The EPC doesn't show any through-bolts being used for either No.7 mount (purple dots).

But then is doesn't show any for the No.6 mounts either (red dots) ... which also appear to be designed to have them...

Do you have through-bolts in those six No.6 body-mounts?

:beer:

Wish the land cruisers here had been owned by nuns...

Seems like they know how to keep them pristine ...

or perhaps these nuns were especially devout and succeeded in getting divine help just with this one....;)

I guess especially devout

:cheers:

View attachment 1015456

So the mount shown in your photo (that's missing its through-bolt) is the No.7 mount I've circled here in purple .... Right?

The EPC doesn't show any through-bolts being used for either No.7 mount (purple dots).

But then is doesn't show any for the No.6 mounts either (red dots) ... which also appear to be designed to have them...

Do you have through-bolts in those six No.6 body-mounts?

:beer:

That's EPC is great !, I will looks at all of these points on both of them tomorrow morning

Dat is echt jammer...

You've found a real treasure!!!

Ja that was echt balen !!

Damage wasn't nice, but any way it is a reason to earlier change the soft top ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom