The Age Old Tire Debate - 2011 LX570 on 18's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha.. only 15 hours, seems like you got off easy... Hope they fit your needs. I narrowed down to same 2 tires and went with Toyo since I am hoping for better NVH and am not too worried about mud.
Well, I started digging Saturday morning around 8am and didn't stop until, well, i haven't really stopped as I'm watching reviews on YT as i type this.. I spend a considerable amount of time doing research on wheels too. 4 days ago you could have mentioned a wheel or tire size to me and it would have been like Japanese. Today i feel like a rocket scientist when it comes to wheels and tires haha.

Can't go wrong with that AT3! Nasty looking tire too!

Well, I started digging Saturday morning around 8am and didn't stop until, well, i haven't really stopped as I'm watching reviews on YT as i type this.. I spend a considerable amount of time doing research on wheels too. 4 days ago you could have mentioned a wheel or tire size to me and it would have been like Japanese. Today i feel like a rocket scientist when it comes to wheels and tires haha.

Can't go wrong with that AT3! Nasty looking tire too!
Put mine on Sunday. I need to get a better picture.
242CB4E2-8B0D-4A89-AD44-600C9A4A4F7E.jpeg

Dechroming might be nice, but pretty far down my list of concerns. I will say though that I installed a LC200 rack that is black, replacing the dark gray LX rack. The black has grown on me a lot more than I thought it would. I’m still working through my baselining. Where the LX is parked in this picture is essentially my garage, so it’s a little slow going, Got lucky, after a week of joining mud and learning about RWs, I found a set in Siloam Springs that had been rattle canned matte black on the inner parts. I repainted the centers with Rustoleum Dark Steel and ordered new center caps. Doesn’t look exactly the same as original, but close enough, I even repainted my spare that was original since matching was easier that way. Took me 3 months to find a 5th one for a spare.

I'm not running any spacers, so far everything seems fine. I think I’m still touching a little of the drivers side rear mud flap. I may just take them off all together, but will probably give one more try at shaping/ cutting the part that is rubbing off. I don’t believe I will need to do any reshaping of metal parts like the guys running 35s need.

Dechroming might be nice, but pretty far down my list of concerns. I will say though that I installed a LC200 rack that is black, replacing the dark gray LX rack. The black has grown on me a lot more than I thought it would. I’m still working through my baselining. Where the LX is parked in this picture is essentially my garage, so it’s a little slow going, Got lucky, after a week of joining mud and learning about RWs, I found a set in Siloam Springs that had been rattle canned matte black on the inner parts. I repainted the centers with Rustoleum Dark Steel and ordered new center caps. Doesn’t look exactly the same as original, but close enough, I even repainted my spare that was original since matching was easier that way. Took me 3 months to find a 5th one for a spare.

I'm not running any spacers, so far everything seems fine. I think I’m still touching a little of the drivers side rear mud flap. I may just take them off all together, but will probably give one more try at shaping/ cutting the part that is rubbing off. I don’t believe I will need to do any reshaping of metal parts like the guys running 35s need.
Quality job sourcing the wheels and fixing them up. They look solid. I just sold my stock wheels and tires to a guy down in FL. Didn’t even think about the spare really. Figured I’d mess with it later.

Good thing your only having minor rubbing issues. I should be totally fine based off what I’ve read on these forums.

Well, when you made this comment i decided to do some research on the Ridge Grappler. After some digging i ended up having the Toyo OC AT3 and Ridge Grappler at the top of my list. The more and more i researched it seemed like the Ridge Grappler was the best tire for my application. Most AT tires seem to cake up in mud and the Ridge Grappler was about the closest thing to a M/T i could get without actually getting an M/T. It came down to the warranty on the toyo after that. The Nitto has 0 warranty and you get a warranty on the AT3. After careful consideration i decided the Nitto Ridge Grappler was the right tire for me. I ordered them today:)

I probably spent over 15 hours of solid research trying to pick the right tire for my application. Glad to have finally pulled the trigger.

Anywho, thank you for the recommendation on the Ridge Grappler!

Glad to hear that might work for you. As I said I haven't run them personally so would love to hear feedback. With anything, there's lots of subjectivity, maybe more so with tires. Mix that with aspirational infatuation or unrealistic expectations, and it can definitely be hard to read where things really fall.

In for pics!

Which 18” wheel did you go with? 285/65R18 should fit easy. It will probably put your speedometer right as well. I broke out the GPS and I’m reading 3MPH slow at 70 now. Forgot to do a check before I took the OEM off, so can’t make a comparison.

Nice, I really wanted to go Bronze, but I just didnt think it looks good on a silver truck. I think if you have enough blacked out stuff it probably works.. but I think when the truck is silver and chromed, the bronze doesn’t look that great.

on black (and white) trucks the bronze is the bees knees.

Nice, I really wanted to go Bronze, but I just didnt think it looks good on a silver truck. I think if you have enough blacked out stuff it probably works.. but I think when the truck is silver and chromed, the bronze doesn’t look that great.

on black (and white) trucks the bronze is the bees knees.
I would tend to agree! My truck is black and I’m excited to get the new shoes on 😈

You won't have any issue with the Ridge Grapplers. I've had BFG K02s, BFG KMs, General Grabber ATs, Goodyear Duratracs, and Ridge Grapplers. My RGs are getting a bit worn down at 50k miles, but they're still smooth and quiet. As for Duratracs, they weren't any better than the RGs in mud, but sure were louder as they got old, as did the Generals and K02s. I think you made a good call. Enjoy them!

Well coming from an enthusiast that started their journey in the car scene, i will definitely report back with my opinion on them! I already bought the KO2, cancelled the order, and did more research. I'm not turning back again!
I have RG's on my F150 and they're not loud at all on the hwy - having new bronze Icon wheels and RG's installed as we speak

The real question is, do I paint my calipers while I have my LX on jack stands?

Was thinking about painting them British racing green for a little bit of racing heritage 🤔

Yeah, I’m going for the mall cruiser vibe too.
View attachment 2658247
Me too, mall cruising above the Arctic circle. I’ll add I have been running 18” tundra wheels in the winter for 7 winters now. Been trying to get a set of RWs for years now to ditch the 20’s. This will be my last summer on the KO2’s so looking at wheels again. Method is making the 703 now in a 17” with 35 offset so looks like that will be what I go with unless I can magically find some RWs in the next month or so.

CED19773-F173-4C4F-842F-27D5B036CB20.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom