The Age Old 100 vs 80 Debate With a Twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW, Some one has drink the 100 KOOL-AID, lol
Well, I do have a 100.

But I appreciate every landcruiser series for what it is, and what it isn’t. See above quote: you said yourself that you aren’t educated on the 100 series so how can you make those claims? Let’s be productive here...

Edit: info on 100 series frames: 100 Series engineering info from Toyota

Last edited:
For starters, the Tundra frame is C-Channel while the 100 series frame is fully boxed.

Don’t get me wrong after owning 2 fj/fzj 80’s i’m the first to say that they had major problems too, when putting all that off-road crap on them ,the things turn into a slugs. The three biggest problems that always used to piss me off was ,under powered, plastic radiator, and a weak head gasket......

The 80 series forum has A LOT of V8 conversion threads. One of them is over 1600 posts long with almost 200k views.

How hard do you want to play on the rocks? How easily do you want to gobble up miles while loaded down with gear? That will answer your question. For my use, it was a 100. An now the 40 is collecting dust.

I miss my 80...besides the seats (not as comfortable/less legroom) I think it is the better of the two. My 80 handled better on and off road, AC worked better (no leak in rear lines), braking is almost the same, engines have similar power. 80 is easier to tool on as well.

I miss my 80...besides the seats (not as comfortable/less legroom) I think it is the better of the two. My 80 handled better on and off road, AC worked better (no leak in rear lines), braking is almost the same, engines have similar power. 80 is easier to tool on as well.

California right, A quick visit to the dispensary and I could relate for sure...

Sorry for the delay, on the way back from the beach I had to pick up an ounce before they closed...joined a protest on the way, and finally hugged a couple trees..busy day...but tomorrow I’m picking up more stickers for the Prius...excited!
Stock for stock the power increase isn’t that much to cheer about and body roll in a 100 is REAL (at least my 99).

FRAME IS BEEFIER ???? The 100 frame may look bigger but it's actually thinner and very prone to rusting. And lets not forget the nightmare that Toyota when through to replace all those Tundra frames, They're the same frame. If you crawl underneath my neighbors Tundra you'll shear you were under a 100, they both have the same problems. TOUGHER, THAT FUNNY !!!!
All Toyota truck frames rust....don't even start with that BS. Come to Chicago and I'll show you some ROTTED 80's all over. Like almost unsafe-to-drive rotted. Solid axle has its advantage where lots of front suspension travel is needed, but who are we kidding here, how many of us are "hardcore" rock crawlers on this forum? Very small percent. Would not trade that for the amazing ride of the LX. Suits my needs. 80 series is more of a niche vehicle, would not wanna daily drive that at all.

We did for almost 20 years, we went places that no one in there right mind would take any thing with a Wish Bone Suspension... But I will admit, I sure wish I had this series 100 engine in my 92 slug.

Either do a minimalist build on the 80 with a regear or get rid of that soulless beast and get another 100.

I came from a 97, locked 40th ASP 80 Series to a vanilla 100...and the further from the 80 I get, the less I miss it.

I thought the twist was putting the 100 series body and engine onto the 80....

Obviously, the answer is both. Solid axle swap the 100, V8 swap the 80. ;)

Add a manual tranny either way :smokin:

Well, we are known for doing ridiculous swaps like that. The last project we did before I got the 100 was a LS3 in a Volvo wagon. So you never know...

Love me some Volvo wagon, and wagons in general for that matter!

I miss my HDJ81 tons, and would trade my 100 for it in a heartbeat. It "felt" faster than my 01 LC, which is quite slow if we're being honest.

If I were you, I'd ditch the 80 for an 81. Solves the power issue, and you end up with a bullet proof platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom