The Age Old 100 vs 80 Debate With a Twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that this topic has been covered many times but this may be a little different.

Backstory: I bought the 100 series about a year ago for a road trip through Baja. Since then my dad and I are drinking the land cruiser Kool-Aid. So a month ago when my friends family was selling the 80 series that they bought new in 97. We gave it a new home. By vin, we think it is one of the last 200 80's made. However no lockers!

The original plan was I was going to take the 80 as my adventure vehicle (ready for most anything - besides king of the hammers - mostly overlanding and trips like Baja - thinking Utah later this year ) and my dad was going to take the hundred as his retirement car.
This is where we want you guys opinion!

Do I continue building out the 100 series for an adventure vehicle or do I start over with the 80?

both of these were soccer mom cars that had some care before we bought them. Oops! But overall in pretty good shape.

What has been to them so far:

The 100 series:
2004 lx470
Miles: 167,XXX
Overall baselined
Timing belt was done.
Heater hoses and radiator done.
AHC removed with old man emu installed.
Both diffs and trans serviced
All four brakes done
BFG ko2 33's
Yellow box
Lou's hid conversion and high beams (awesome btw)
Dissent rack
ARB air compressor
Bluetooth added

The 80 series:
Miles: 163,XXX
97 collector edition.
Rear brakes done.
Steam cleaned inside and out. (Interior look like there were a few frat parties thrown in it.)

Planned maintenance so far:
Front end rebuild.
Transmission and diff service
The infamous heater hoses.
A new radiator and upgraded blue fan.
Fix oil leaks
New radio.
New headlights.
Cleaning up the interior some more BH3D cupholders on their way (the important stuff ;))

Pros of the cars in my mind:

80 series pros:
Solid front axle
A little rougher example than our 100 series.

100 series pros:
V8
A little more comfy on the road
More done to it so far.

Things I may want to do to the car I pick (excluding doing everything I did to the 100 to the 80 +/-):
Bumpers and sliders
Kiss drawers/ sleeping platform
Rear locker at least (still trying to figure out atrac v lockers)
Gullwing rear window
2nd battery

Over the last few days, we have gotten stuck in our debate on which one to continue to build out. All ideas welcome and anything else!

PS. Cross posting to 80 series forum to make sure to get both sides of the argument ;)

100 series easily. Baja won't be that much rock climbing and such but will be hot.

Take the 80 series if:
Less freeway miles and more miles on rough stuff, and rocks.
Rough and tougher than 100 series

100 series wins for Baja because:
Eats up all the freeway miles
better AC, its hot in Baja
Baselined and ready
Quieter
IFS is great for freeway miles and is more comfortable
Higher amount of safety in the 100 series - VSC ATRAC side airbags etc
ATRAC > No Lockers

The twist is that we just want to make sure that if we ever showed up somewhere with both of them that people wouldn't say wtf why didn't you build out the 80!

And we know enough to be dangerous but that's about it lol

80's and 100's of varying degrees of mods often travel together and nobody asks that question. ;)
I've had both. I prefer the 100 for "overlanding" and the 80 for the bigger rocks. Make a choice and have at it. Many on here just build them all up! :cheers:

100 series easily. Baja won't be that much rock climbing and such but will be hot.

Take the 80 series if:
Less freeway miles and more miles on rough stuff, and rocks.
Rough and tougher than 100 series

100 series wins for Baja because:
Eats up all the freeway miles
better AC, its hot in Baja
Baselined and ready
Quieter
IFS is great for freeway miles and is more comfortable
Higher amount of safety in the 100 series - VSC ATRAC side airbags etc
ATRAC > No Lockers

I agree with @hickuptruck ^ Offroad, I think the 80 is superior. On the road, the 1FZ just isn't very powerful and the 2UZ in the 100 is going to be more enjoyable... add tires and gear and you are looking at a really slow rig. If a diesel swap is in the cards, it may be a different discussion entirely...

I love my 80 and I love my 100.... if I had to pick one to build, I don't know what I would do.... probably end up building both and picking whichever suited the trip :)

I'd be real curious to get @LandCruiserPhil opinion, as he has both and does a lot of baja and trips around the southern US.

Reactions: jLB
80's and 100's of varying degrees of mods often travel together and nobody asks that question. ;)
I've had both. I prefer the 100 for "overlanding" and the 80 for the bigger rocks. Make a choice and have at it. Many on here just build them all up! :cheers:
Yes I think we will finish what we started with the 100 and the 80 will follow as T/M allow after a complete maint baseline
Builds will be pretty straight line for basic overlanding 'plus' Thanks for input
PS. Bay Area ? We're in San Mateo

From my experience working on both, the 100 should be the one that sees more mileage or regular use, just because it’s so much easier to wrench.

Radiator, alternator, power steering pump, thermostat, spark plugs, oil changes, all a breeze in the 100. I’d much rather change all 4 ball joints out on a 100 before having to replace Birfields on an 80. Even the starter, which is in the stupidest place imaginable on the 100, is forgivable because everything else is cake.

The 100 also has a timing belt, but even that isn’t bad compared to other vehicles.

I adore the 80 series, but for all-around practicality, the 100 is unbeatable. Use the 100 for the daily and build the 80 to the hilt.

I agree with @hickuptruck ^ Offroad, I think the 80 is superior. On the road, the 1FZ just isn't very powerful and the 2UZ in the 100 is going to be more enjoyable... add tires and gear and you are looking at a really slow rig. If a diesel swap is in the cards, it may be a different discussion entirely...

I love my 80 and I love my 100.... if I had to pick one to build, I don't know what I would do.... probably end up building both and picking whichever suited the trip :)

I'd be real curious to get @LandCruiserPhil opinion, as he has both and does a lot of baja and trips around the southern US.

.....probably end up building both....that is exactly what I'm afraid I will do ! 😑

From my experience working on both, the 100 should be the one that sees more mileage or regular use, just because it’s so much easier to wrench.

Radiator, alternator, power steering pump, thermostat, spark plugs, oil changes, all a breeze in the 100. I’d much rather change all 4 ball joints out on a 100 before having to replace Birfields on an 80. Even the starter, which is in the stupidest place imaginable on the 100, is forgivable because everything else is cake.

The 100 also has a timing belt, but even that isn’t bad compared to other vehicles.

I adore the 80 series, but for all-around practicality, the 100 is unbeatable. Use the 100 for the daily and build the 80 to the hilt.

I agree other than the alternator thing. I hate that alternator. (I'm still bitter from the last time I swapped it out... new years day, girlfriends birthday, walmart parkinglot in Houston, 18F out and sleeting)

.....probably end up building both....that is exactly what I'm afraid I will do ! 😑

When I took the 80 out for it's first trail day I was blown away. The thing just feels so much more planted. Factory shocks and springs and set of bigger Wrangler Duratracs... I took my built-ish 100 on the same trail the following weekend and was sad to say it was not nearly as comfy

I thought freshening the knuckles was every 80 owners dream job ..no ?

I thought freshening the knuckles was every 80 owners dream job ..no ?

Those are the kind of people that decide to run marathons without training. And like it.

I would say a 100 with ATRAC is more capable than an unlocked 80 assuming stock for stock

I love my 100 it’s much more comfortable on road than the 80.

You’re going to have an easier go at swapping an Ls into an 80 than the 100

Sell the 100 and get a 200.

The 80 can be your beater.

Where have you found data on 97 VIN numbers? What’s the highest 97 VIN do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom