The Aftermarket Tub Scene (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sure there is no shortage of a market for what Teseven makes. They have to decide of course if servicing that market is a direction they want to take their business. Depends what motivates them - i suspect a passion for the vehicles more than a passion for making money.

You are 100% right, they are die hard Cruiserheads and after about 100 tubs made i guess they are not afraid of work either. ;)

Shure they need to make $$ and a container full of tubs shipped to your direction would make the shipping costs look a lot smaller.

A friend of mine here in germany tried to get a stainless tub for his 45 PU two years ago ....no chance. :doh:

If you like to see more about the fabrication Teseven does, have a look at the thread in the french serie4.fr forum: http://www.serie4.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14420

dsc0120l.jpg

dsc00843v.jpg

548821Photo013800x600.jpg

BTW: The roycreation bodys did withstand a few rallys in the past.
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/en/sponsoring_regis_teilhol_christophe_stutz.html
competition4x4_rallye_tuareg_2012_7.jpg

I hope you can get a Teseven tub asap and show us some pictures of the install.

Jeez, I would have thought the problem had to do with the logistics of crating and export shipping and the fact that no one at Teseven speaks or writes English very well, but they won't even sell to a guy in Germany?

There was a mud member last year - i think he was in Texas - who was trying to put together deal with Teseven for a container load worth of tubs, but the deal fell apart for some reason.

Not that he did not like to sell to germany, he just could not make it being to busy.

From his facebook page
la production de caisse a été jusqu'à présent uniquement réservé au pays francophones. en chiffre ça représente 132 caisses (body) construites depuis la création de l'entreprise.
je travaille pour pouvoir réaliser l'exportation dans le monde de mes futurs produits. encore un peu de patience , ça arrive.

He is asking for patience and promises that exporting them will be happen...

So maybe you start with all other work on the rig and send him emails, call him until he will obey. ;)
teseven-bodies.jpg

So maybe you start with all other work on the rig and send him emails, call him until he will obey. ;)

That's exactly what I've been doing. Last year I've put a new OEM hood on, new OEM doors completely rebuilt with new glass, rebuilt the front axle, powder coated. Right now I'm rebuilding the heater blower fan and rear pintle hitch, and will move onto the rear axle rebuild with powder coat in a couple of months.

I can certainly be patient, but it irks me a bit when you contact someone and they don't even send you a short note to say they are too busy, etc. Just a little communication, you know, a short note to let you know the situation, sometimes can go a long way. I don't want to browbeat people until they respond, as I wouldn't want the same thing coming my way.

Not that he did not like to sell to germany, he just could not make it being to busy.

From his facebook page

He is asking for patience and promises that exporting them will be happen...

patience works for me ... I'm in the Gozzard camp as a replacement for my tub at some point, but this stainless steel option looks very appealing ... it may take some time for the logistics, and when that is worked out maybe he'd be more willing to ship a number of them rather than one to make it more attractive to him (and to reduce shipping costs to buyers) ...
:cheers:

Anybody know about or have experience with the steel tubs EBI has for sale? I'm weighing options too and they look decent but haven't found anything out about them, and obviously haven't talked to anyone at EBI about them.

So having been in your shoes (pretty much), I think that your research is pretty much right on....I will add a bit of my opinions and findings.

Pacol Online.

Their product looks pretty good and is a fairly close reproduction in steel. I emailed them, explained i was looking for a tub and wondered if they could get back to me on price. No response. Emailed again a couple of weeks later .The owner's wife got back to me saying that the owner would be in touch shortly. He did finally drop me a line. Did he give me an answer to my question? No. He basically just touched base. I emailed him again, asking for the price on a complete tub. I phoned and left messages. I emailed again a few months later. No response.

I eventually went with PACOL....one has to understand the South American mentality here, Basically....they will make you a fine product but it will happen when they want it to happen. It is not based on your schedule or the fact that you already paid in full.

Alexandra is the one that you want to talk to. They don't answer emails and they don't return phone calls in a timely fashion. Once you accept that....you are good. If you can't then don't go there. :)

I was initially told that my tub would be done in 60-90 days. I think that it took 7 months. Alexandra was apologetic and kind....I eventually scored free shipping and a set of front fenders at their cost for my patience.

I will add a bunch of pictures in the next response. The product is nice, detail is good....most importantly, all of the stock takeoffs have fit back on perfectly or with minimal mods.

Teseven.

These guys in France make some awesome stuff and they have tub options in steel, stainless steel, aluminum and even brass it would appear. Their reproduction is incredibly close to OEM and they are craftsmen. I emailed them last year, using Google translate for French, and weeks later got a reply with some general brochures from them attached. I then wrote back with a couple of questions about dash configuration and steering column options, and time frame to build, cost to ship. I haven't been able to get a reply from them since, and I've sent half a dozen emails to various email addresses associated to the company. Nothing.

From what I see in the pictures, the detail is nominal....if you could buy these, you had better learn how to install riv-nuts and captive nuts.
It looks like an ok option....but there is a lot of work left to do.
CCOT.

I looked at their patch panels, and they are lacking in some basic correspondences to the factory units, like the inner sills having no drain holes punched, simple metalworking processes like that. Seems they were obtaining complete tubs from Paul Pilgrim at one time and we know he ran off with a bunch of customer's money.... Have bought other CCOT stuff and found it lacking, so I'm not inclined in that direction. I just checked their site and tubs are no longer available, so the point is moot.

There is a saying around here "Friends don't let friends buy CCOT"

It applies especially in this case
Malotte.

No thanks. Quality not there from what I have gathered. Bad reputation perhaps. The 'wood reinforcement' does not appeal.

Gozzard.

Seem to be very stoutly built, but also seem to require a lot of tweaking to get doors, windshield, etc., to fit. Not sure about the insurance ramifications of having a road collision with one. Not keen to work with gel and mat to do repairs or customizations. Body no an electrical ground. Like the removable dash panel though. I'm kinda meh on these, but still considering. Gozzard is in the yacht business and these tubs are a hobby/sideline, so getting a tub produced might take a while, depending upon his schedule.

There also a German supplier of fiberglass 40 panels.

If fiberglass is what you want...these are fine.

Personally, I would not consider them.
Aqualu.

They make an aluminum tub as most of you know. The tubs are fairly stout but suffer a bit on details. The '79 and later tubs have a raised floor and the Aqualu version has squared up corners so the factory floor mat is not going to fit. I wonder what else might be a PITA to fit? The dash lacks the stamped profile of the original. They state on their website that they don't include gas tank mounts because they "aren't sure where they are located" (!). Does not inspire confidence I guess. They do at least respond to emails and the pricing on their product is reasonable. Not sure how aluminum is going to hold up here on the east coast with the corrosive salts used on the roads. I had some aluminum wheel spacers and they corroded enough in 5 years such that they needed to be chiseled off the rear hubs. That leads me to worry about fasteners getting stuck in the aluminum and bonding in there, breaking upon removal. I wish their product was as well-detailed as Teseven's, but it isn't.

This is an honest product....while the detail is lacking. I doubt that most people would notice. Potential for corrosion can be an issue for any metal. Even stainless can has its weaknesses.

The one thing that Aqualu has going for it is that you can actually get it in a timely fashion....something to consider.

I chose to Linex the underneath of my new tub for protection....its good insurance.

As far as repairing the body or obtaining one from a different country....rust will always be an issue. The metal that these vehicles were made with was never properly processed. The steel has bits of rust already in it from a faulty manufacturing process....you will always be chasing your tail on 'rust patrol" unless you use modern steel.

Pacol tub pics next.

Doc

Thanks for sharing - Pacol tub doesn't look too bad at all.

The un-returned phone calls and messages: I could care less if they're on South American time. If they're slow, then they're slow- so long as they are clear about that from the outset. They clearly mislead you, and I imagine you felt very relieved to finally receive the tub after 7 months.

Here's the thing: if a company can't return a phone call in some reasonable sort of time frame, then the impression I take away from that is that they are, at a minimum, disorganized. Why should I entrust them with my $5000 or thereabouts? If they can't manage the basics of communication, I tend to think they might not be able to manage with the basics of fabrication. The communication is the easy part. It's not as if they have exerted effort selling to me previous - I found them.

I'm also a bit leery of the South and Central American aftermarket tub scene after the debacle with Paul Pilgrim running off with customer money. It seems like one has to be willing to lose all the money in these sorts of exchanges. If the company goes broke or runs off with your money, what recourse is there?

You look at a lot of other classic cars and there is a solid aftermarket scene making repro panels. If you want to restore your MGB, you can buy an entire repro unibody tub. If you want new fenders for your '67 Mustang, there are several companies making repros I'm sure. There's a guy I know with a 1959 Chevy pickup and he can get every panel for that truck.

I don't get why an American (or based in a country from which they are willing to export) company hasn't stepped in and started marking a FJ40 tub of quality similar to OEM, using, as you suggested, modern steels. The FJ40 tub is one of the simpler shapes to fabricate, surely? Straight-sides, simple curves, flat dash, simple pressed floor corrugations.

There are lots of people passionate about these vehicles, willing to invest in them, and there are lots of these vehicles rusting away at the same time and next to no OEM panels left.

Nice examples are fetching north of $50,000 at auction. I don't get why this market is under served. :meh:

I chose to Linex the underneath of my new tub for protection....its good insurance.

I did this as well, under the floor pan and on top. The rust came back from the seams, and now spreads under the line-x.

As far as repairing the body or obtaining one from a different country....rust will always be an issue. The metal that these vehicles were made with was never properly processed. The steel has bits of rust already in it from a faulty manufacturing process....you will always be chasing your tail on 'rust patrol" unless you use modern steel.

I think you're right about this. The steel, especially in those '79 and later rigs, was thin and I'm sure some of them were rusting on the showroom floor, like a lot of other vehicles from the same time period.

Thanks for sharing - Pacol tub doesn't look too bad at all.

The un-returned phone calls and messages: I could care less if they're on South American time. If they're slow, then they're slow- so long as they are clear about that from the outset. They clearly mislead you, and I imagine you felt very relieved to finally receive the tub after 7 months.

Here's the thing: if a company can't return a phone call in some reasonable sort of time frame, then the impression I take away from that is that they are, at a minimum, disorganized. Why should I entrust them with my $5000 or thereabouts? If they can't manage the basics of communication, I tend to think they might not be able to manage with the basics of fabrication. The communication is the easy part. It's not as if they have exerted effort selling to me previous - I found them.

I'm also a bit leery of the South and Central American aftermarket tub scene after the debacle with Paul Pilgrim running off with customer money. It seems like one has to be willing to lose all the money in these sorts of exchanges. If the company goes broke or runs off with your money, what recourse is there?

You look at a lot of other classic cars and there is a solid aftermarket scene making repro panels. If you want to restore your MGB, you can buy an entire repro unibody tub. If you want new fenders for your '67 Mustang, there are several companies making repros I'm sure. There's a guy I know with a 1959 Chevy pickup and he can get every panel for that truck.

I don't get why an American (or based in a country from which they are willing to export) company hasn't stepped in and started marking a FJ40 tub of quality similar to OEM, using, as you suggested, modern steels. The FJ40 tub is one of the simpler shapes to fabricate, surely? Straight-sides, simple curves, flat dash, simple pressed floor corrugations.

There are lots of people passionate about these vehicles, willing to invest in them, and there are lots of these vehicles rusting away at the same time and next to no OEM panels left.

Nice examples are fetching north of $50,000 at auction. I don't get why this market is under served. :meh:

I grew up with exotic cars....very exotic cars that maybe only 3 people in the world made parts for. Generally, these people are eccentric, disorganized and hard to get a hold of. But, they generally get around to making that hard to find part for you....I know that Dad waited years (yes, YEARS) for some parts that were prepaid. To him it was worth it....that and he had no other choice :)

The key factor is that you want to find someone who is honest....this is a trait that I found with PACOL and Alexandra. I have never heard of them being dishonest or misleading a customer. I do not think that they deceived me concerning the time schedule....I had ordered something that is not commonly purchased, they had issues with their tooling. Yes it is s little unnerving to throw $7000.00 out there. But they came through and for my wait...I have a pretty nice tub.

I did this as well, under the floor pan and on top. The rust came back from the seams, and now spreads under the line-x.

I think you're right about this. The steel, especially in those '79 and later rigs, was thin and I'm sure some of them were rusting on the showroom floor, like a lot of other vehicles from the same time period.

We had more than a few Landcruisers from the 70s.....I remember that our 1979 FJ40 had rusted through (fist sized areas) with in one year of showroom new).

If you consider, the modern steel, modern painting products AND the LINEX....I feel pretty well covered in the corrosion dept.

Not like it is going to see many winter roads anyways....that is what I have a Jeep and an FJ Cruiser for.

Doc

hello all cruiser

thank you for your enthusiasm for my work.:)

teseven company to move in 2013 and I had one year of delay.
for the moment I am the only one working in the company.
produced in France is very complicated because the tax is very expensive.

to send a container texas price approx 4000 dollars for 12 body. (I have no news from me too).
but I can find out for a single

I am very busy with french cruiser, and I still think the company changed to the very good quality for rich customer.

sorry if you did not get an answer my new address is teseven@gmx.fr

and my wife speaks very good English number is 0033 620652169
and I have my new facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Teseven/604811082911675

thanks
ouachée fabien

this is the good price for 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom