The After AHC Removal Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser, the AHC was removed a week ago. I had the Slee AHC over ride and had been locked in High mode for a few months. I was happy with this modification it worked well for my day to day and dirt roads. I took it to the 4th HIH in Ouray Colorado and the limitations became reality. When I loaded with all my camping gear the weight was to much for the system and it would drop back to Neutral. When I hit the trails it would under increased compression drop from High back to Neutral. I learned from Christo this was because the lockout was for speed only and the system (AHC) would continue to as before in all other instances as it did before the lockout. Well... this just wouldn't do, so on to the next step

I ordered the
2.5" Heavy Load Kit
Includes UCA
Part: ARB1207 - $1703.00
Includes:
2 x SOF2RH Rear Coil Springs
2 x Old Man Emu 60000
2 x Old Man Emu 60002
2 x Old Man Emu Torsion Bars
1 x Slee Diff Drop Kit
1 x Pair of SPC-25455 Upper Control Arms

I had all of the AHC removed and the kit installed.

Wheels & Tires: Toyota TRD Rock Warrior Wheels, Nitto Trail Grapplers 295X70X17

Other modifications : Gamiviti Roof Rack, Metal Tech Sliders

Future modifications planed: Front & rear bumpers & drawer system

I've been very happy with the ride post AHC delete, but my front tires are rubbing at every turn ! its making me crazy. I had no idea that a 2.5" lift would be lower then AHC locked in High? I have the UCA cranked as far as Slee recommends and only have 1-1 1/2" of down travel on the OME shocks. :bang:
The stance of the LC is that of a door stop and I'm feeling at a loss.

Question:
1. Should I order medium springs until I get the bumpers and drawers? How much will that help with the rear rake?
2. Should I order longer shocks and crank the UCA above what Slee recommends?
3. What Shocks??? ICON? $2600 ! :doh: Slee $400 each ! :doh: King...???

Thanks I have read many posts this week "search is my friend" I know ! LOL just trying to bring all of the information together.

Locked in High
IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

I bet it is an offset issue it at turns. Get some spacers from Slee and should fix it. You suspension looks to be fine.
Thanks, I have 1" spacers. I had to get them for the wheels prior to the lift. I had no rubbing issues prior with the AHC in High

But you also put on non oe UCA...and with a 295.70.17 your offset is critical.

Have you called Christo and asked him his thoughts since you got gear from him?

But you also put on non oe UCA...and with a 295.70.17 your offset is critical.

Have you called Christo and asked him his thoughts since you got gear from him?
I'm going to give him a call on Monday. I've been doing my research.

I had no idea that a 2.5" lift would be lower then AHC locked in High?

I hate to say this...

But what will be more ironic is that once loaded with all the gear, the OME suspension may wind up again sitting lower again than AHC reverting to N height. 2.5" lift does not equal 2.5" lift when laden.

People forget that the AHC is a constant height system - within in nominal load capacity. Once a certain load capacity is exceeded, it will compress further just like a standard suspension system when carrying a load. The AHC indicator is two things: 1) What mode you have selected 2) The achievable clearance it's managed. The AHC indicator reverting to N is telling you that it's not in full H clearance mode, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But for some reason, people worry when selecting H results in N. Because again a standard suspension system like OME does just the same.

I guess people feel better with a static suspension because there's no indicator telling you the 2.5" lift is gone cause you've loaded up the car.

Reactions: JPS
Keep us informed; I am about to bite the bullet and go with the switch from AHC to OME; I rally thought the OME would be about the same as the AHC at full lift. very surprised you are having rubbing now and had none before.

The AHC system has two "Hi" positions, one in 4WD High and one that is another approx 1'' higher in 4WD - Low? Is this correct? If it is, do you know which height the Slee AHC override locks it into?

The AHC system has two "Hi" positions, one in 4WD High and one that is another approx 1'' higher in 4WD - Low? Is this correct? If it is, do you know which height the Slee AHC override locks it into?
It is only a mph override. So it will not drop from High back to Neutral at 20 mph. Other wise High is High no matter what 4X4 range your in. Truth be told I did not know there were two different highs?

My understanding is that there isn't 2 different highs. But if you are in high and ATRAC kicks in, the system will lift you up a bit more to get you off of whatever you are on, then lower back down to high. At least that is how I read the manual... LOL

I originally read the manual as when you are in AHC High and then shift into 4 Low it gives you the "Extra High" mode. Now that I'm re-reading it it seems a bit ambiguous, but I think your comment on ATRAC might be right on.

The other thing I found interesting from the manual's description is it shows that the AHC only lifts the front 1.6'' from level on "High". So why a 2.5'' OME lift is rubbing is even more of a mystery.

See pages 214 - 216 here:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM60898U/pdf/om1sourc/2001om/01lx470o/31.pdf

ACTIVE HEIGHT CONTROL
SUSPENSION (AHC)
This active height control suspension controls the vehicle
height depending on the vehicle driving condition. Select
your desired height among the ”HI” (high), ”N” (normal)
and ”LO” (low) modes with the height select switch.

(a) Vehicle height modes
”HI” (high) mode
The vehicle height is about 40 mm (1.6 in.) higher at front
and about 50 mm (2.0 in.) higher at rear than the normal
mode height. This mode is suitable when driving on bumpy roads and
through water. This mode is available when the vehicle speed is under about
30 km/h (19 mph).

The ”HI” (high) or ”Extra high” mode should be used for
severe off–road driving condition only. Because the
vehicle’s center of gravity is higher in this setting, the
vehicle may become unstable when turning abruptly,
resulting in an unexpected accident.

When the four–wheel drive control lever is put at ”L”, this mode
may change to the extra high mode automatically in
accordance with the driving condition.

When the vehicle exceeds the specified vehicle speed, the
vehicle height changes to the following:
With the four–wheel drive control lever at ”H” and at the
vehicle speed of 30 km/h (19 mph) or over, the normal mode
is automatically selected.

With the four–wheel drive control lever at ”L” and at the
vehicle speed of 50 km/h (30 mph) or over, the vehicle
height becomes automatically about 25 mm (1.0 in.) higher
than the normal mode height. If the vehicle speed is lowered
about 20 km/h (12 mph) or less after that, the high mode
automatically resumes.

Extra high mode
This mode is automatically selected from the high mode
with the four–wheel drive control lever placed in ”L”
position depending on the vehicle driving condition.
If the vehicle becomes stuck, the vehicle height rises
automatically to the extra high mode (slightly higher or at about
70 mm (2.8 in.) higher than normal mode height).
In the following cases, the extra high mode changes to the high
mode automatically:
When your vehicle is no longer stuck.
When the four–wheel drive control lever is put in a position
other than ”L”.

Last edited:
This thread just got super lame. I can't believe you guys are actually reading the manual.

Just kidding!! :)

@NUKEM, hope you get this sorted out, love those wheels and your truck!!!

I read that as well but have never seen this extra high occur.
Maybe I haven't been stuck enough.

The other thing I found interesting from the manual's description is it shows that the AHC only lifts the front 1.6'' from level on "High". So why a 2.5'' OME lift is rubbing is even more of a mystery.

qwopzxm , I had tweeked the AHC and tricked it into thinking it was sitting lower then it was. This allowed me to gain more in the range of 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear when locked in High. As you can see from the pictures it really leveled her out and no rubbing even when flexed.

qwopzxm , I had tweeked the AHC and tricked it into thinking it was sitting lower then it was. This allowed me to gain more in the range of 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear when locked in High. As you can see from the pictures it really leveled her out and no rubbing even when flexed.

Cool. I didn't know you could do this.

Took her out for a spin with the trailer. She did very well seemed to have less rubbing with the weight on the rear? Maybe I just need to keep the trailer hooked up all the time? LOL
c65f0a6b-bc44-406c-b155-5507aab13511.jpg

c5b67f96-77bd-40a4-9643-07e0de11a423.jpg

very nice! btw never saw you at the overland show a few months back!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom