The Adventures Of Yeti - Now gathering parts for the diesel swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would give back to the community that helped me learn about these machines before buying one. I was on here so much, then eventually made an account to lurk and search. Seriously, this site has been a huge resource already in my short hunting/ownership phase.

I wrote up two stories, one about getting the truck here, and the second about the journey back home with it here.

Rather than copy them here, I figured the links would be easier. This thread may eventually become the home for future adventure stories, we will see.

Enjoy some Friday/weekend reading, and thank you all so much for the seemingly endless amount of information and wisdom. Happy Cruising!

Nice truck. So where on the island are you? I'd like to see that rig up close. Big happy Land Cruiser family here,
Send me a pm.

Sounds like he’s back in Ontario with it now.

Nice to see there’s another nice ‘87 around. I’ll keep my eyes out for it.

Nice truck. So where on the island are you? I'd like to see that rig up close. Big happy Land Cruiser family here,
Send me a pm.

Thanks. I'm back in Ontario now, but my parents live in Comox. When I have the truck back out there again I'll try to arrange a visit.

I have to be honest, I had a few of your pictures as my desktop backgrounds on my home and work computers during the research/hunting for a Cruiser phase.

I’m down in Niagara. But there’s a few around Toronto. I’ve bought parts from a few different people in the GTA.

Really enjoyed reading your story and pictures. Thanks and :cheers:

Loved the TLDR intro!

Thanks. I'm back in Ontario now, but my parents live in Comox. When I have the truck back out there again I'll try to arrange a visit.

I have to be honest, I had a few of your pictures as my desktop backgrounds on my home and work computers during the research/hunting for a Cruiser phase.

Now you can go take your own, check out graveltravel.ca if you get a chance, good routes.

-Isolation update-

A lot of words ahead, but I’ll sprinkle in lots of pictures pretty much at random to make it more interesting. This isn’t as chronological and organized as those stories of buying the machine and brining it home.

1.jpeg

Yeti and cruiser life have been amazing so far. Get a lot of comments, asking if it is for sale, note left with phone number etc. Fun, but the best of those are the smiles and reminding people of their old vehicles they had 'back home' where ever that may be or when they were younger. I had a guy run over with the biggest grin on his face, he said he felt like he just met an old friend. He had a 60 in his home country when he was younger he told me. He asked me "why did you buy this car, when you could have any new car?" and I told him it just made me happy. He understood, and clearly it brought some joy to his day also.

3.png

I've made a few updates and changes along the way, and have been gathering some parts for future upgrades and maintenance. One I can’t wait to install is the extra leaf for the right side front and rear packs. For some reason, the previous owner had added one extra OME leaf to the front and rear only on the left side, and the truck leans significantly to the right now that I’ve loaded it with more gear.

2.png

About that gear, started with some simple stuff, like my tools for work and personal use and camping gear. Since that wasn’t heavy enough, I added an ARB front bumper with a winch and some lights, and a 4plus rear bumper and tire carrier. I also stuck an ARB rack on the roof and an ARB Simpson III rooftop tent. At that point, it was really too top heavy. Not as fun off road as without the tent. But we still managed to enjoy some action.

4.jpeg

Turns out there is a 5 picture limit. On to the next post then...

_GYE0265.jpeg

The little Spartan rear locker I installed is amazing. Makes a world of difference off road, and really isn’t bad on road considering how ‘adapted’ my driving style is already to a 30+ year old machine. Take it easy, don’t be silly when cornering or on snow/ice unless you want to be oversteering for fun, and you’re fine.

_GYE0218.jpeg

I ended up picking up a spare Spartan locker along with a diff and axle rebuild/seal kit from a guy who sold a his cruiser. Both axles are due for a rebuild, so I was happy to get a deal on those parts. Might put the spare locker in the front axle when I rebuilt or might keep it as a spare in case I do something silly and break mine. We’ll see.

_GYE0221.jpeg

I also got a set of 16” wheels and 255/85 BFG KM3s for my summer setup. After some experience with them, I honestly wish I could get a set of KO2s in the same size for my winter set! Awesome size for the cruiser, and the KM3s are great off road and predictably bad on road in icy winter conditions. The KO2s are no real winter tire, but they’re better than the muddies and 3PMS rated so they pass anywhere the roads/laws/insurance require it.

_GYE0595.jpeg

I decided to sell the rooftop tent after a year of use to pursue a lighter setup. I still love being up on the roof for sleeping, so am considering a Roofnest Falcon once the border situation is a little better so I can pick it up from the states rather than paying to have it shipped here. For now, I got a ‘swag’ style tent and a cot/stretcher to put it on. Total price $350 Canadian, much more manageable than a new rooftop tent right now. I also finally mounted my ARB awning with side walls so I'll have extra shelter to stick the tent under.

IMG_0289.jpeg

As an aside, anyone else watch 4wd Action on youtube? I’ve watched all of the episodes, and most a couple of times. If you haven’t yet, do it! Constant inspiration to get out and explore, and have fun with buds. Speaking of that, camping also gets me out of the city so I can see stars like I used to when I was a kid in the maritimes!

stars.jpeg

All of the diesel sounds on the 4wd Action videos, and constantly having “is it a diesel” be the second question people ask me about it got me thinking. Not to mention the absolutely terrible range I get now. I needed at least an overdrive, and I wanted a diesel.

5.jpeg

There had been a scrappy diesel parts cruiser for sale locally for quite a while now, with thousands of views of its listing and a few price drops. I had asked in the past and the seller told me it was a 4 cylinder. There were no under hood shots or anything that identified it as a BJ or HJ so I didn't bite. I was looking for an easier H55F donor.

IMG_9907.jpeg

Eventually, I started talking to a buddy who is into Mercedes diesels. He had a couple OM606s sitting around, and an OM617 in a vehicle. Available for me if I wanted them. I started to think maybe that H55F from behind that 3B in the parts truck, combined with a 4x4 labs adaptor and custom clutch setup, behind an OM617 would be sweet. I contacted the seller of the parts truck again, no reply. My buddy messaged them the next day and set up a viewing. As soon as I opened the hood I saw a 2H sitting there, so the H55F would go behind my 2F and I could grab the 2H if it ended up being in decent shape. I was in. I checked it out a bit, and negotiated a better deal. That was Wednesday.

IMG_0704.jpeg

I picked it up the following Saturday. We stuck two extra batteries on it and it started right up, first try. So stoked. By Sunday the the transmission and transfer case were sitting on a pallet waiting for the 2H to join them. If anyone needs 24 volt parts, let me know. Now I’m debating rebuilding those axles and sticking them under Yeti once they are rebuilt. The HJ came with the slightly braced front axle so I may use that one, and it will already be out once I finish chopping up Ol Blue to scrap, after scavenging all the parts I want. The HJ is probably 60% rust by weight. I nearly put my boot through the floor more than once, and can put my hand through the frame in multiple places. The right rear main leaf is broken in half and being held on by its own imagination. Definitely a Canadian machine, and further reinforced my decision to source my first cruiser from the states rather than here.

ol blue.jpeg

Anyway, the current plans are to extract the 2H, scavenge the rest of the good stuff and scrap the rust pile. The amount of rust I swept up already is shocking. Any time you touch it more rust flakes out from somewhere. I’ll do a little refreshing of the engine and transmission, convert the engine to 12 volt, and stick the setup in Yeti eventually. Unless a 12HT or 1HDT show up…

1-1.jpeg

I moved out west to have more space and be near the mountains. I have yet to install or even do anything with the 2H nor the H55F. Those were fun items to bring a few thousand kilometres on the move. So now they sit in the new garage I finally have, still waiting a tear down and refresh.

But, it's also kind of funny that my last post in here ended with "Unless a 12HT or 1HDT show up…" because wouldn't you know it, one showed up. Just like that.

Leave me in charge of me with a garage for less than a month and another cruiser shows up. This is dangerous. I'll be gathering parts to connect the H55F to the 1HD-T this year and still enjoying the 60 as is for now. I also went to go see those 6 ex mine truck HZJ79s last week, and while they were beat as expected, I couldn't help but imagine having a cool 79 single cab pickup. One project at a time though.

IMG_2077.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

Last edited:
I wondered what happened to the blue pickup 60 series. The asking price on it was outrageous. I’m glad to see it gave up its goods instead of being totally scrapped.

I wondered what happened to the blue pickup 60 series. The asking price on it was outrageous. I’m glad to see it gave up its goods instead of being totally scrapped.
Yeah that was me who grabbed it finally. I took most of what was salvageable from it before cutting it up into scrap metal. The frame and what was left of the body was hilariously rusted, but the engine started right up with no weird smoke nor sounds beyond a typical diesel clatter.

It honestly looks like someone had put some effort into it. It had some new brake components front and rear including a new set of pads/shoes which I've already used, some new brake lines, shocks etc. The pan had been off the engine at some point since there was RTV all around it, and the clutch looks newer.

Not too sure what will happen with the 2H just yet, now that I've got the 1HD-T.

I moved out west to have more space and be near the mountains. I have yet to install or even do anything with the 2H nor the H55F. Those were fun items to bring a few thousand kilometres on the move. So now they sit in the new garage I finally have, still waiting a tear down and refresh.

But, it's also kind of funny that my last post in here ended with "Unless a 12HT or 1HDT show up…" because wouldn't you know it, one showed up. Just like that.

Leave me in charge of me with a garage for less than a month and another cruiser shows up. This is dangerous. I'll be gathering parts to connect the H55F to the 1HD-T this year and still enjoying the 60 as is for now. I also went to go see those 6 ex mine truck HZJ79s last week, and while they were beat as expected, I couldn't help but imagine having a cool 79 single cab pickup. One project at a time though.

View attachment 2623241

View attachment 2623248

@MiyamotoMusashi ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom