Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All the way from Japan...

1AD5E97E-2A11-4D44-A228-D8D582CDC223.jpeg
6E3FE86E-10FD-4F36-B3B9-992B79E97EE5.jpeg

Thanks @Japan4X4 😁

Cheers

So I'm eyeing a daily beater if I get to Italy next year. Plan is to still bring the Troopy over eventually but in the mean time I need a rig. These two door 1KZ, manual, 90s look neat. Mighty cool. If @gilmorneau or any European knowledgeable folks has any info, hit me up. Looking at a 2001 or earlier for import after my Italy tour.

640x480.jpg

So I'm eyeing a daily beater if I get to Italy next year. Plan is to still bring the Troopy over eventually but in the mean time I need a rig. These two door 1KZ, manual, 90s look neat. Mighty cool. If @gilmorneau or any European knowledgeable folks has any info, hit me up. Looking at a 2001 or earlier for import after my Italy tour.

640x480.jpg
Those are actually good commuters and are right now at a all time low value , unfortunately they don't have the 1KZ but the 1KZ-TE and sometimes suffer some problems with ecu's and headgaskets. No longer solid front axle but IFS also hence why these where never popular with the off road crowd .

Get a swb with manual trans and cloth interior and the rear e locker to find the best package.

I’ve known of a number of people with the 1KZ-TE to have radiator issues. Then again, that’s in Zambia and with lots of off-road. In Europe where parts and service abound, it may never be an issue.

I love the 90 series. Oldest ones will be eligible for import next year so i've been keeping my eye on them. There are a few newer members in the 90 series section who have them, one guy has a 2 door. Can't remember which engine he has though.

Thanks fellas. A weekend warrior with IFS is OK with me. Cloth interior is a must. Radiator and headgasket issues are manageable. As long as it isn't 2L levels of head issues. I had a 3rd gen 4Runner last time I was in Europe, even that was too big for some areas. The 3.4L was a champ too. This shorty 90 looks to be perfect size. Just need to read up on the 1KZ-TE a bit more.

Hello,

These are great trucks. They are good off road, IFS notwithstanding.

Some 1KZ engine models have a top mounted intercooler that is fed by a duct that originates in the front grill and runs below the hood. Quite likely, this feature reduces airflow to the radiator and may explain the cooling issues.

Some markets got the gasoline/petrol 2.7 L engine, which is powerful but sips fuel, something rare for a gasser.

Get yourself a SWB and enjoy it.

Juan

Get yourself a SWB and enjoy it.

X2

I don't have any direct experience owning or driving a SWB 90, but I've seen a few of them in Europe over the years, and thought they were pretty neat rigs.

We did some really horrible things to a rental 90 once. It was a lot of fun to drive.

Bottom of windshield frame repaired.

77E0DB84-8FB0-4089-B5CD-2CE36AFC8569.jpeg

RHS floor pan in the works.

A0BAF6EE-D655-4E2A-84F4-0440709CB838.jpeg

RHS rear quarter repairs, still need to grind it back.

0EAFE9C4-9958-4694-823E-43C8A9FD52E0.jpeg

Cheers

RHS front body mount at firewall and floor pan starting to come together.

759D1CEA-954D-41CB-8FE1-F050B80208F2.jpeg

Yup we got a gap to deal with, that is how it goes when using parts cut out from another Cruiser.

Cheers

Pretty well finished and buttoned up on RHD floor pan and body mount.

4838C8F1-3174-4EED-9C05-E9186733097B.jpeg

We will do a bit more to it but not a lot. There is no point in making it look perfect or 100% original because this is all getting buried with sound deadening.

Once we get the LHS done, we plan to put it back on the rotisserie.

Cheers

A rotten spot right behind the floor pan repaired.

2E97152E-BE8E-4F03-BA0A-AC62D9065B6E.jpeg

Floor pan repair, LHS.

8A520B9C-8167-47DE-B342-BBB3A50651EF.jpeg

It’s pretty badly rusted in some areas so we will be cutting that out and using this as needed.

06E29916-1399-4CB5-A856-D108BD9D4D06.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom