Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chalk would seem right at home on a Troopy.....kind of the perfect color. Ford offered a very similar color back in the late 80s....I was absolutely mesmerized by it as a 16 year old who was obsessed with Mustangs. Ford Light Grey. I was 100% going this color on my build but I backed out. Not sure why. Maybe I secretly have always yearned for a Subaru.....or at least a Subaru color on a car.

Bet you never thought a late 80s Mustang pic or two would be in your build thread :)

View attachment 2190315View attachment 2190316

Who wouldn't want to roll their five point oh with the ragtop down so your hair can blow?

I like the juxtaposition of a porsche color on a lumbering brick of a Troopy. It's a contender.

I like the juxtaposition of a porsche color on a lumbering brick of a Troopy. It's a contender.

This is exactly why I would put a Porsche color on it :)

Giving the chassis a nice coating of this inside it today.

D6D62341-9773-4EA0-B45C-09536B44F695.jpeg

Best to do before we get to much bolted into.

Cheers

I’m going to be eagerly awaiting the decision to your choice of color. I’ve been giving that a lot of thought for mine as well, and have come to similar conclusions. I think white actually looks great.. but there’s so many.
I was leaning towards 6H9 or 6L4 (after seeing a truck at the 70 meetup in Windrock), but have some military-vehicle concerns too. Is that really an issue at border crossings? The other options are a Battleship Grey (or Heath grey) or a Porsche color (keeping that one to myself for now ;)). That Chalk White looks pretty awesome too!

It’s not an issue at border crossings.

When you travel internationally by land in your own vehicle, sometimes you drive through areas under control of drug cartels, gangs, terrorists, ect. You don’t want any of those people to think you are anything but a tourist.

Parts of Mexico I have driven through is totally cartel land. You don’t see any cops patrolling or even military checkpoints in these areas. I have seen the Mexican Navy in these areas though traveling in large heavily armed convoys. Guess what color the Mexican Navy uses?

First trip to Panama and back I did I had a large 16ft Red Sea kayak on the roof of my truck. I had more problems like that than on the other 2.5 trips. I stood out, you could see me coming from a mile away and it was like having a huge neon sign on my truck that said “stupid gringo, free money”! Needless to say I sold the kayak in Panama and drove back without one, less hassle on the return.

I have spent nearly 18 months on the road in Latin America and did well over 40,000 miles in that time. Lots of it totally solo or just me and my dog. I got stories and stories and stories about those adventures. I generally leave them for the campfire these days though. ;)

Cheers

Ahh.. of course the Navy would have “Battleship” Grey trucks. Makes total sense though, and a reason this decision should definitely be thought through. Thanks for the input.

I’m going to be eagerly awaiting the decision to your choice of color. I’ve been giving that a lot of thought for mine as well, and have come to similar conclusions. I think white actually looks great.. but there’s so many.
I was leaning towards 6H9 or 6L4 (after seeing a truck at the 70 meetup in Windrock), but have some military-vehicle concerns too. Is that really an issue at border crossings? The other options are a Battleship Grey (or Heath grey) or a Porsche color (keeping that one to myself for now ;)). That Chalk White looks pretty awesome too!

If it was a stateside only (or North/Central America only) rig, 6H9 or 6L4 would be at the top of the list.
But I have no fashion or style sense. Lots of plain t-shirts in my arsenal.

56C27F03-A3E4-4765-A96F-3538D488C1DE.jpeg
7378EB57-6C39-42E9-94F8-793A97E17E6E.jpeg

I am sure this makes some of you cringe! In my opinion this is the only way to get to the roots of the cancer and be rid of it.

Cheers

Going in deep for sure. Impressive. And now I know where I don't want to look too closely on my Troopy!

Going in deep for sure. Impressive. And now I know where I don't want to look too closely on my Troopy!

Any 70-series. They all rot here, eventually.

Cheers

Any 70-series. They all rot here, eventually.

Cheers

I'll hold out hope that mine is some kind of freak....and it's all pretty and solid :)

We took off the factory sound deadening from my truck last week on the front floors and they were like brand new. I was pretty impressed.

I'll hold out hope that mine is some kind of freak....and it's all pretty and solid :)

We took off the factory sound deadening from my truck last week on the front floors and they were like brand new. I was pretty impressed.

It might be.
I'll make no excuses, this one isn't great. But you gotta piss with the cock you got. It'll be champ when the dust (or rust) settles.

Sure, like new under sound deadening in this one too! Same for seam sealer in wheel wells. Still......cancer.

This part of the thread is probably every 70-series owners worst nightmare. I say be happy we can get a lot of these body parts. The quality of the repairs is so much better when you replace panels vs patch. And honestly the panels are cheap and panel replacements is how Toyota (or any other manufacturer) wants it done and why it is built this way. Drill them off, fit, spot weld, off it goes for paint. It is how every body shop in the world does it, especially for insurance work.

Any ways, we will be making some pieces as well.

I did warn ya all, maybe avoid the thread for this part if you don’t like seeing me do the surgery. :hillbilly:

Cheers

I'm going to continue following the thread but AVOID sand blasting my truck I think :cool:

I've spent a fair amount of time in the body shop we have used over the last 20 years....I've seen all of this and more(vintage Porsche restoration, vintage Ferrari work, new Ferrari work and all kinds of cool stuff).....but I still find it amazing when I see it being done. I could watch it all day. What a great part of this build to share.....hard to see or not!

If you haven't watched this, it's simply incredible. Long video but worth the watch. Mesmerizing.

I'm going to continue following the thread but AVOID sand blasting my truck I think :cool:

I've spent a fair amount of time in the body shop we have used over the last 20 years....I've seen all of this and more(vintage Porsche restoration, vintage Ferrari work, new Ferrari work and all kinds of cool stuff).....but I still find it amazing when I see it being done. I could watch it all day. What a great part of this build to share.....hard to see or not!

If you haven't watched this, it's simply incredible. Long video but worth the watch. Mesmerizing.

Some of those Porsche (namely 356 restos) restorations are bananas.

The Elvis BMW 507 was wild too.

Glad we don't need to go that crazy.

It might be.
I'll make no excuses, this one isn't great. But you gotta piss with the cock you got. It'll be champ when the dust (or rust) settles.
Right there with you. Deal with what is available at a given time and go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom