Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys are going to pass me up quick now. Which is good because I want to see how you make your mounts and other things that are making my brain hurt thinking about it.

There are a ton of little things that still need to be sorted. Goal is to have the body, frame and axles off to get blasted before I leave. We'll see. Still need body mounts built, motor mounts placed and the tanks mounted for the frame to be finished.

Looks like this:

View attachment 2013078

You won't regret it. :)

Excellent progress, BTW. I'm following with much interest and even more amazement at how quickly you guys are knocking this out. I've had my Troopy for two years and haven't even gotten around to swapping out the taillights yet. lol.....

I like it. The data plate says it was previously 045 white so I might just stick with that color.

Like I was saying.....

DA6ABA5A-DAD2-4ADA-B56E-98FE2F04662D.jpeg
40B33B23-9D9C-4A7E-B6EC-867487CCD763.jpeg
29F5FFE7-76BE-4FEA-9791-0CC8630027C1.jpeg
9CD60B88-A0A0-4626-A08F-E87929A9847A.jpeg
FACE1DE8-2F15-46E6-83A1-27CFE9718B71.jpeg

We got it back to a rolling chassis, now with a 117” wheelbase.

:)

Cheers

We built a contraption so we can grab the body, lift and lower it in order to roll the chassis in and out.

45B544DE-83A3-4CC2-A66B-29FED75DD419.jpeg
D8525F3E-A7DB-4888-939B-B100B5EA72D0.jpeg

We will be picking the body up within the hour and rolling out the HZJ75 chassis.

Cheers

We are pulling long ass days and this is dirty, crappy hot work. But man is it fun too!! Couple beers at the end of a long day admiring the days work is always nice too.

884CF34D-6779-409A-A005-597027000418.jpeg

Troopy, meet your new 80-chassis!

Cheers

It is a blast for sure! When I stretched mine 20.5" I was dead tired after those two days. I had my frame blasted prior so not as dirty as this project.

Looks good keep it up!

J

Ya the Patrol Ute I did I had the chassis blasted first too. Definitely a better way to go but more time consuming.

It helps there is two of us, we trade off on a lot of the s***ty work so not to get to burned out.

Cheers

It is a blast for sure! When I stretched mine 20.5" I was dead tired after those two days. I had my frame blasted prior so not as dirty as this project.

Looks good keep it up!

J

Yeah, the frame wasn't/isn't too bad. The 26 year old Nicaraguan 75 series dirt falling into your face, eyes and mouth, not so great. I'll be glad when the body is blasted so we won't have to deal with that s*** anymore.

Hey ya know we did alright with our contraption. It works very well and is stout. ;)

Of course a lift would be better and easier but why let no lift stop ya? No excuses in my shop!

On to the next tomorrow, much easier and much cleaner work from here on out. Looking forward to that myself.

Cheers

Yeah, the frame wasn't/isn't too bad. The 26 year old Nicaraguan 75 series dirt falling into your face, eyes and mouth, not so great. I'll be glad when the body is blasted so we won't have to deal with that s*** anymore.

You going to soda blast and neutralize or straight low psi fine grit media?

J

Also, those wheels are (I think, they came with the 80 when I bought it) 16x8 with a 4.25 backspace. I think with some expensive ass OEM flares and a narrower tire, it'll fit fine. Or just run it like it is with OEM flares. A little poke won't be bad as long as it doesn't bust the fender on the twisty bits.

J

That is all up to Tony. He is doing the majority of the research and calling most of the shots on this one. I am here for fab, advice, labor, skill, ideas, motivation, the actual crusty Troopy and um the fun of it all!!

Cheers

J

Probably fine grit, still need to consult with the blaster people.

We're going to chop open the floorpans above the crossmembers to get the 26 years of mud and dirt out of them. Toyota thought it a great idea to not put drain holes in there. I stuck my finger in there and it was not nice. They're caked full. Then get it blasted then Rust Bullet or POR15 the inner rails. If they can blast off nearly all the rust I'll be happy, then get it into epoxy after the body is fixed up to seal it permanently.

Edit: And I'll be painting the frame. I was going to powder it but touchup is a pain with powder and a good epoxy paint will be just as durable. Plus, it's hard to find a good powder shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom