The 80 series & Snatch strap ratings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to buy a snatch strap for my 1995 80 series. A local store has a 24,000lb ARB snatch strap that I am thinking about buying. I have heard you want to look for a snatch strap rating that is 2-3 times the weight of the lightest vehicle used in the snatch. Does anyone have any experience with the 24,000lb ARB and the 80series? Is that too heavy of a strap? The next size down is the 17,000lb strap. It is not quite 3 times the weight of the cruiser which makes me nervous for some reason. Any feed back on using either of these straps with an 80 series would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :D

I got the 17,500# one for christmas and it works great. I've used it in pismo with another 80. Then again in pismo to pull an fj cruiser, once for a bronco in big bear, And a CJ 7 in anza borrego. It works great. Just keep a little momentum and you can feel it stretch then viola! both vehicles are unstuck. I highly recommend either snatch strap. The 17,500# has worked for me but if you run a lot of gear you may want to get the heavier strap.

Also I've heard that the heavier the strap, the less stretch you get, which makes the snatch strap less effective

P.S. the 17500# strap fits above the spare tire tools in the side panel

IMO size the strap for your truck. If you have to haul out something lighter, you can use less throttle. If you're pulling something bigger, you'll get maximum stretch for maximum snatch. If something bigger is pulling you out, you'll be fine. If something smaller is pulling you out, it may be less effective, but that's life sometimes.

I'm using a masterpull 7/8" x 20ft kinetic recovery rope. Several other companies have similar products. Bubba rope and Viking winchlines makes a similar product. I had a 3/4" Viking with my 3500 lbs Toyota pickup, and the 7/8" works fine for my 5500 lbs 80-series. The Masterpull rope was priced exceptionally well on ebay at the time I bought it. It's a round rope with loop ends to fit shackles or recovery hooks.

I use this for serious recovery work only. For casual tugs or towing, I have a casual strap that's not stretchy, that I don't really care if somebody runs it over, or gets it muddy, etc.

Sorry, no experience with the ARB strap. My brother has one, but it's not yet been used.

HTH.

A snatch strap doesn't need to be 3x the weight. By going with too large of a strap, you won't have enough energy to stretch the strap out, making it less a snatch strap and more a tow strap.

You also have to factor in 24k breaking strength. That doesn't mean every pull will be a 24k pull, your experience and the situation determine that, but if you figure most of the time someone's stuck, even an 8k winch will pull them out, you'll realize how much overhead you actually have.

In my opinion, any strap over 15-16k will be fine in 99% of situations, regardless of vehicles involved (within reason..).

I have a few straps in my diesel rig. It serves many uses, including offroad recovery. I normally use a ProComp 2"x30' (rated at 20k) and I haven't broken it yet. And my diesel rig is 500whp+, 35" tires, 10,000 pounds with a few thousand pounds over the rear axle.

I've done a half throttle pull on it with a good 10-15' head start and not broken the strap, just the towee's cervical spine. I also have a 4"x50' industrial and a BubbaRope.

If you want the BEST snatch strap money can buy, as far as breaking strength, elasticity, length under load, and durability, look into Bubba Rope. I honestly wish it was my first purchase. I wouldn't have bought anything else (except maybe different sizes) besides it had it been my first purchase.

I'd recommend just purchasing a BubbaRope and make sure to get the protective sleeves for it as well. You'll NEVER go back.

Thanks Guys

This was really helpful. I will go with the 17000lb strap. I just had to fight the bigger is better mind set. I just didn't want the strap to break and send a shackle flying at mach 5. An recommendations on shackles sizes to use with the strap? 3/4 vs. 7/8? Probably 3/4 LOL

This was really helpful. I will go with the 17000lb strap. I just had to fight the bigger is better mind set. I just didn't want the strap to break and send a shackle flying at mach 5. An recommendations on shackles sizes to use with the strap? 3/4 vs. 7/8? Probably 3/4 LOL

Good quality shackles have a working load rating. This is 20% of the expected yield number. So for example a 3/4" shackle has a working load rating of 9500lbs, it is expected to fail at 47,500lbs, it's a strong SOB.) This is just for the US, some other countries require a 7:1 or even 10:1 safety ratio. I use 3/4" almost exclusively. And don't buy them from 4wp, or Home Depot, look up a local rigging supply store and buy quality forged shackles.

As an aside, this is one thing that bothers me about winch mfgs. They rate a winch at 9500lbs, but that's with a 5/16" 7x19 wire rope that has a minimum breaking point of 8520, so as you can see, there is no safety factor at all. 3/8" wire rope is a better choice at 12,200, but even then it's rated working load is only 2500# or so.

On my buggy I had 3/8" poly rope that had a min breaking point of over 23k# so I never had a worry about that, but dragging it across rocks is always an issue. The FZJ has 3/8" wire rope and for as often as I anticipate using it, it's going to stay.

Can't recall who I got my high end snatch strap from but they had a website where you plug in the weight of your vehicle and the speed you think you'd be willing to hit the end of the strap and it told you what size to buy. Since I've recovered people in bad stucks before with repeated 10mph hits I punched in 12mph and it recommended their 26,000lb strap. I've used it 5 times or so and it feels like a nice modulated stretch. So I am saying contact the MFR and ask them as each uses a proprietary fiber and strap weave and material and they're the experts.

The shackle question is key though. Be sure you are not using Chinese Home Depot shackles. Expect to pay a lot for good ones.

I bought a 30,000 lb rated Smittybuilt strap for $40 and two ARB shackles for a bit more than $10 - can't beat the Amazon prices

I bought a 30,000 lb rated Smittybuilt strap for $40 and two ARB shackles for a bit more than $10 - can't beat the Amazon prices

I buy shackles, chain, hooks, etc at $2/lb -- but the selection at my local freight salvage dealership is spotty.

can't have used or salvaged stuff in a garage :princess:

:doh:

This is Good stuff

Thanks for all of feedback. I went down to the off road store today and bought the 17k snap strap and 2 3/4 inch shackles. Hopefully I'm ready to get stuck now!

can't have used or salvaged stuff in a garage :princess:

:doh:

You misunderstand "Freight Salvage" - if it can lose a shipping label, get damaged by a fork lift, fall off the back of a truck, or just fail to sell in a timely manner, a freight salvage dealer will eventually sell it.

And it's amazing how much that adds up to in Salt Lake City.

Harbor Freight started out as a freight salvage operation. When i was a kid my parents used to get their catalog.

I picked up three campbell 8.5 ton (1 inch) screw pin shackles and a matching hook for about $35 a few months ago.

Good luck and stay safe! I recommend reading lots of forums about offroad recovery, do's and don'ts, etc. There are a million ways to get hurt or get dead while recovering vehicles. It's all fun and games until a 5 pound shackle gets slingshotted with 20,000 pounds of force into the back of someone's head.

There are many, many ways to recover vehicles. There's many mounting points and places to grab both on your vehicle and theirs. I came across this picture a while ago, I'm not sure if it's made it's rounds on this forum or not, as I have been MIA on this forum for over a year.

QWIahBd.jpg

That could have easily been someone's head. Or their passenger's. Or their children's. Or their pet's..

Read up on where to grab, when to do it, why it's done, etc. Watch youtube video's, educate yourself as well as possible. When dealing with the forces created recovering vehicles offroad, lives can change in an instant. Be safe out there!

/\

Yup...the most dangerous part of wheeling. Well, except for maybe the drive to the trailhead, dodging idiots on their cell phone!

I know you have alfready made your purchase, but I got my recovery straps from Southeast Overland, and as some one else mentioned, I called and talked to them about my specific rig and let them make the recommendation. They make their own straps and with the 80 I ended up with the heavier straps for both my tree saver and the snatch strap.

Can the snatch strap be used as a tree saver also?

In the past two weeks, I have been buying recovery stuff on Amazon, I too have that "bigger is better" mind set. I've been wanting to ask the same questions for snatch straps vs recovery straps, D shackles, tree saver and snatch block. I ended up buying the smittybilt 4"x8' tree saver 40k#, smittybilt 3"x30' recovery strap 30k#, I bought five 3/4" D-Shackles, and a Rugged Ridge 30k# snatch block. After searching and reading some more, I decided to buying the ARB 24k# snatch strap bc I read the recovery strap is not the same. After reading this thread, I'm reconsidering about returning most of the stuff I just listed. The smittybilt D-Shackles have some mixed reviews, I even bought the Hi-lift recovery kit that I might return. Can you guys make some suggestions with your experience in recovery?
Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention I got the Hi-lift extreme, hi-lift lift mate, and the hi lift repair kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom