Builds The 60/40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But I still had an issue with the under dash parking break to the 60 series axels.....

As fate would have it a fellow mudder reached out to me with an offer to purchase my stock front and rear seats, I was really torn after getting these to work and also love how they looked but needed a place for the parking break and some whiplash protection so out with the old and in with the new.

PXL_20230205_185310720.jpg

PXL_20230205_204113389.jpg

Seating and parking break are now done but as often happens there's an issue, now the steering wheel is in the way of my knee as I try and shift from accelerator to break pedal so may need to get a smaller steering wheel?

PXL_20230512_031329388.jpg

PXL_20230512_031417193.jpg

Also in preparation of first start I installed the muffler and tail pipe I used to run that set off car alarms, it's just a place holder and how I can eventually explain to a shop how I don't what it done.

Some remaining challenges including final spring perch to axel welding and installation of the 60 series top hats which will require a different spring pin and lastly my nemesis from the start the dreaded driver's side front shock tower, waffling between a couple scenarios on this one.

Remaining to purchase are some drive shafts (or shorten and lengthen the 60 series ones I have), Bilstein shocks, a battery and all fluids to fill and bleed everything.

Basically almost done!
🙂

Last edited:
Well shoot there went six mouths.....been procrastinating on pulling the axels and detuning the super heavy OME spring packs. Getting started going in reverse on the project was hard to excited about plus I needed to get a floor jack and find a way to spin the 40 in order to pull the rear axel.....well winter is here and it's time for crab and I bought my first ever personal floor jack!

PXL_20231105_000812101.jpg

PXL_20231209_200902543.jpg

Last edited:
Spun the 40, pulled the axel and built a wooden ramp to load it in the Subaru and down to the metal shop it went. I helped my welder buddy install a lift on his Forerunner in exchange for some nice welds! While there I modified a Ford shock tower to outboard and ground a little more of the drivers side fender to fit it.

PXL_20231210_220115720.jpg

PXL_20231216_202836954.jpg

Last edited:
I detuned the springs and got new center pins and caster shims from Cruiser Brouthers per Nolan's @wngrog recommendations. Man drilling out those springs for the 3/8" center pins at home sucked up several hours and a couple drill bits! Next time I'll take it to the shop and do it for sure. Probably also shed 50# with all the leaves I removed. Now I can compress the suspension by just pushing down on the bumper, definitely going to be a softer ride than stock.

Reinstalled the axels and on to the shock tower.

Also made a little backer plate to help install the bolts in the frame for the shock tower and got it installed. This is huge, getting the shock tower fit has been one of the hardest parts to do without just hacking up the fender. Got the fenders and bib reinstalled and since I was on a roll replaced the turn indicators with new ones I got from City Racer, really worth it as the old ones where likely original and totally oxidized. The new ones had details I never saw in the old lenses! 😄

Was really nice to start moving forward on new items!

PXL_20231210_230759432.jpg

PXL_20231222_222558342.jpg

PXL_20231224_213421431.jpg

PXL_20231224_232210018.jpg

Last edited:
A drill press makes that job much easier

Good work.

Thanks, suspension is much more supple now.

Drill press woul have saved a bunch of time and at the metal shop I can use the mill, just wasn't sure what a PITA it was going to be. Learned something new.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks, suspension is much more supple now.

Drill press woul have saved a bunch of time and at the metal shop I can use the mill, just wasn't sure what a PITA it was going to be. Learned something new.

Merry Christmas!
I ruined a bunch of bits when I drilled out our front leaf springs for the new pins. After I finally finished one side, I took the other to a machine shop where they made quick work of it. It sure helps to have the right tool for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom