The $55 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we grow some good freaking moss in WA dude...

48944380.jpg

First manual window 62 I have seen, really pretty clean tho!

missed that.........manual window in a 62, only ever seen 2 of them in WA, both red,,,odd

I have the 3rd one...but its blue. Glad you got ahold of that rig before mother nature had her way. Although, in the NW I guess that would have been another 50 years.

Holy Moss Batman, that is a freakin awesome score for the money. I would have paid a fair bit more for that 60 series without hesitation. Well done. Get used to the valve tick. It is a common noise for the 60 series engines. All mechanical valve train so it will make a bit of noise. Just adjust the valves by the book and you will be fine.
Great score, she will do you proud. Cheers from down under.:grinpimp:

$55 are you for real????
Good on ya,if it sat for ten years you would prob expect the motor to tick for a few weeks even if all clearances are good. I bet it slowly fades away.
What a score. Wow.

Thanks again, all. My immediate plans are:

- Remove & power wash moldy carpet.
- De-upholster and power wash upholstery (hopefully it doesn't fall apart in the process)
- Repair foam on driver seat (hey, can someone tell me if I can switch the front passenger and driver seats? I know the recline levers will be backwards, but is the foam otherwise symmetrical?)
- New cheapo head unit and speakers.
- Finish removing crappy purple DIY window tint
- Re-repair crappy Bondo'd dent repair.
- Claybar, compound & wax (first in ~20 years)
- New belts and hoses.
- New plugs & possibly wires
- New headlamps (I cheaped out on the Ecode upgrade. Did it on my Miata and it's amazing, but this rig just won't be driven enough to be worth it.)
- New air filter
- Repair frayed battery wiring and perforated battery tray.
- New tailpipe and muffler. Good source suggestions other than Toyota and Midas? They want $400 :doh:
- New fluid & lube

For the last item, is there a comprehensive list here of all the fluids, lubes, and their locations, plus preferred brands? I have the FSM, but there are new products since it was written, and I'll get what folks have had the best experience with. Also, lots more places to put fluids than I'm used to. I need a roadmap, and the FSM kind of makes you hunt for it.

Cheers.

Amazing score :clap:

Congrats!

It's going to cost you more than you paid for that rig to fill it up with fuel!! Nice score! Looks awesome!

Thanks again, all. My immediate plans are:

- Remove & power wash moldy carpet.
- De-upholster and power wash upholstery (hopefully it doesn't fall apart in the process)
- Repair foam on driver seat (hey, can someone tell me if I can switch the front passenger and driver seats? I know the recline levers will be backwards, but is the foam otherwise symmetrical?) Couple of threads on this and yes the seats are interchangeable. You will just have to deal with the lever on the wrong side. I went to a local upholstery shop and the guy quoted me $140 a seat to reupholster the bolster and replace the foam in the seat. That is on my short list.
- New cheapo head unit and speakers. Check out the JVC KDX50BT. Was recommended by a couple of different Crutchfield techs and has gotten good reviews online. Plus you cant go wrong for less than $100 with BluTooth, Pandora, Streaming, and all the fun stuff. For speakers, I have always been a Rockford Fosgate fan and their Prime Series is cheap and been getting good reviews.
- Finish removing crappy purple DIY window tint
- Re-repair crappy Bondo'd dent repair.
- Claybar, compound & wax (first in ~20 years)
- New belts and hoses. For the belts, plugs, wires, etc. check with Georg @ Valley Hybrid in Stockton,Ca. He quoted me a good price for everything in a Tune-Up kit with all Toyota OEM belts. Plug Wires he recommended just getting something from NAPA/VATOZONE/ETC as the OEMs were not necessary.
- New plugs & possibly wires
- New headlamps (I cheaped out on the Ecode upgrade. Did it on my Miata and it's amazing, but this rig just won't be driven enough to be worth it.) Check out the 7" Rampage replacements (actually made for Heeps) on Amazon. Reevesci recommended them on his Blue Marley build and I got some. Were cheap, came with H4 bulbs and were a direct fit for my 10/85 FJ60.
- New air filter Will come with Georg (OrangeFJ45) tune-up kit.
- Repair frayed battery wiring and perforated battery tray.
- New tailpipe and muffler. Good source suggestions other than Toyota and Midas? They want $400 :doh: Do some shopping around and check with the guys in your local clubhouse.
- New fluid & lube Lots of threads on this and lots of "debate" on what is proper. Basically, the FSM says the gear oil is SAE 90W, for anything from 0* to 100* they say to use 10W30. I will be looking at a good HDEO Diesel oil for this. Oil should be something with decently high ZDDP% (above 1000ppm). Again, lots and lots of controversy on this.

For the last item, is there a comprehensive list here of all the fluids, lubes, and their locations, plus preferred brands? I have the FSM, but there are new products since it was written, and I'll get what folks have had the best experience with. Also, lots more places to put fluids than I'm used to. I need a roadmap, and the FSM kind of makes you hunt for it.

Cheers.

Ok I will answer as many as I can....

Great score! And rust free!
Apparently, I have the fourth 62 with manual windows and mirrors. In damp weather, the original grease in the window regulators gets stiff. At least that's what I think had been happening in mine. Seems better cleaned up and regreased with white lithium spray grease.

Great score! And rust free!
Apparently, I have the fourth 62 with manual windows and mirrors. In damp weather, the original grease in the window regulators gets stiff. At least that's what I think had been happening in mine. Seems better cleaned up and regreased with white lithium spray grease.
Ha! I just spent this afternoon doing exactly that. Got a little carried away once I had the door panels off and decided to just gut the front. Ended up power washing the carpets (out of the truck :rolleyes:), and removing the seats and much of the plastic bits for a thorough clean.

ps. The rig has now ended up costing $52.90. I found $2.10 in change under the carpet. :D

That's it, I'm turning my portfolio over to you.

we grow some good freaking moss in WA dude...

Really, I'd say that's pretty normal for the wet side...

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom