The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys, first time poster here.
I've really enjoyed reading the entire 94pgs or so, but I need your help!
I've got a 1994 Hdj80 1HD-T auto, 4" lift on 33's, I've done a 4" in/out airbox mod, has top mount, Safari snorkel, a jap import 2 3/4 exhaust (was on it) and I have had the standard turbo running at 17psi for a few years now, I modded the fuel pin grinding the taper deeper and was running a tune that worked really well, responded well, egt's maxxed at 700deg pre turbo up long mountain pass, a slight puff smoke off the line, 350deg @11psi @100kph steady. EMP as expected relatively high at about 2:1 @3-3.5k rpm.
Gauges I've got boost & EGT, EMP, but do not have AFR yet.
So that's my back story, I've recently taken the plunge and bought and fitted a Mamba 12-11 Td05h 18g, I've changed nothing yet fuel wise and am really shocked at how high the egt's have shot up to and how relatively unresponsive it is.
It is sitting at 500deg at 100kph and only 5psi boost. It also only seems to want to boost to 17psi as well at max throttle even though I got greedy and installed the strongest alternative wastegate spring that came with the kit... EMP at 17psi and 3-3.5k rpm is about 30psi.
I realise I have to tune the fuel for it but I'm really confused about which way to go!
With the low boost response I'd up the fuel but the egt's are already high so I feel like that may only make things worse, what could possibly be wrong here? Could the 22psi wastegate spring be causing the high EGT by causing higher EMP?
Should I change it out for the 18psi spring?
Or do you think this is purely a fuel issue?
I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me!
Cheers Jeff.

View attachment 2162886

View attachment 2162891
I like your silicone setup from your factory air box. Where did you get all the parts???

Fitted a CT20B to my engine.
My original CT26 is in a need of a rebuild and my friend NZ Nath kindly gave me his now unwanted CT20B.
Just to update yous on the ct20b/ct26/16g hybrid I ended up with on my 13bt powered landrover, that didn't run well.

I got a good job offer and moved cities. I eventually got the chance to take the turbo in to a local bloke here in wellington. It was a stock ct20b turbine wheel, ct20b center, aftermarket billet 50/68 comp wheel. That is apparently the same spec as an 18g comp wheel. The 13bt comp wheel is 39/57. I had the comp wheel replaced with the stock ct20b 45/65 wheel, and a 2nd hand ct26 compressor housing bored out to fit.

The turbo works a lot better with the smaller comp wheel, though I suspect this wheel is still too big. It's hard to compare it to the stock ct26 due to the time that's passed, but I think on the ct26 from 1900/2000rpm the boost ramped up really quick, wheras the ct20b is a bit lazy to spool. It does see boost as low as 1300rpm lugging in 4th gear on steeper hills, so maybe it is a good upgrade from a driveability point of view here in hilly NZ.

I'm interested in why we thought the holset he221w wouldn't fit? It would be a case of adapter plate between the turbo and manifold, modified dump pipe, modified oil lines, modified inlet (which is just a pod filter at the moment), and clocking the compressor housing to point in the right direction?
What was not working good enough on his 13bt is actually going very well on my 12ht. Compared to the original ct26 it spools earlier and with more boost on less fuel. Way more torque at lower revs which is very welcomed in our hilly countryside.
Although I run the same 0.86 bar 12.5 psi boost the egt are lower at cruising but most noticeably in full power situations.
Perfect is that it is a direct fit of all the important connections - only the turbo stay needs to be adapted. The only drawback if you want is that the whole setup is quiter - and the very enjoyable turbo whine out of the 3" straight through is now mostly gone, inside also - there's only a faint whistle.
So its basicly the 1hdt-fte setup with a machined ct26 compressor housing to suit the larger compressor wheel - seems to me like a very good option for the 12ht
20220629_185728[1].jpg

Interesting side note is that I found what I believe is a imperfection inside the turbine housing of the casting process. After some grinding and scraping I got
rid of it.
20220618_154734[1].jpg
20220618_155414[1].jpg

Last edited:
If you think exhaust pressure is high then you can measure it. Sounds like you need a firmer wastegate spring.

I found the TD06SL2 turbos in the CT26 housing category. No mention of ball-bearings: Kinugawa Turbo 3 - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/collections/toyota-land-cruiser-1hd-t-1hd-ft-1hd-fte/products/kinugawa-turbo-3-td06sl2-18g-toyota-land-cruiser-1hd?variant=42193063182590
Ball bearing one here: Kinugawa Ball Bearing Turbo 3 - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/collections/toyota-land-cruiser-1hd-t-1hd-ft-1hd-fte/products/kinugawa-turbo-3-td06sl2-18g-toyota-land-cruiser-1hd-1?variant=42193000268030

Hard to say really. Definitely targetted at higher rpm power but there are no maps or efficiency numbers to go off.
I am about to pull the plug on a TD06SL2-18G 8cm Billet 6+6 / 9 Blades STS Journal bearing version

I've heard bad things about ball-bearing turbos on diesel because of soot. Does anyone have data to prove it?
What's everyone's experience with ball-bearing turbos on our diesel engines?

I am about to pull the plug on a TD06SL2-18G 8cm Billet 6+6 / 9 Blades STS Journal bearing version

I've heard bad things about ball-bearing turbos on diesel because of soot. Does anyone have data to prove it?
What's everyone's experience with ball-bearing turbos on our diesel engines?
I have one of the ball bearing turbo's from the MMP group buy from around 2017. I've put about 100,000 kms on the turbo and no issues yet.

I have a question about the different housings. The mounting bracket position is not in the same spot. Is this a concern for strength? can you run without a bracket without issues?

58010 left 58020 right (original on 1991 HDJ81)

1684821119444.png

View attachment 3115993
This is the bracket I have in question. Is it needed for strength Structural integrity?
View attachment 3116030

Does anyone know if the bracket for the 1HD-FT OR 1HD-FTE Are Different and could work?
1HD-FT/1HD-FTE
17293 STAY, TURBOCHARGER
17293-17020 W/O(EGR COOLER)
17293-17030 W(EGR COOLER)

vs 1HD-T 17293-17010

I've been trying to find pictures online to compare the part numbers but nothing is coming up

Last edited:
I eventually threw my bracket away after removing it one day and never got around to installing it again. Haven't had any issues not using the bracket for over a decade and most cruisers I've worked on don't have them either.

I have a question about the different housings. The mounting bracket position is not in the same spot. Is this a concern for strength? can you run without a bracket without issues?

58010 left 58020 right (original on 1991 HDJ81)

View attachment 3115993
This is the bracket I have in question. Is it needed for strength Structural integrity?
View attachment 3116030

Does anyone know if the bracket for the 1HD-FT OR 1HD-FTE Are Different and could work?
1HD-FT/1HD-FTE
17293 STAY, TURBOCHARGER
17293-17020 W/O(EGR COOLER)
17293-17030 W(EGR COOLER)

vs 1HD-T 17293-17010

I've been trying to find pictures online to compare the part numbers but nothing is coming up
I would say there would be minor differences between 1HD-T/1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE as the CHRA for the 1HD-FTE turbo is significantly smaller.

When I upgraded my exhaust, I ran it between the gearbox and frame. I figured with a bracket on the exhaust attached to the bell housing, and the beefy down pipe, there was no lack of support, so I left the turbo bracket off. It had lost the bolt into the turbo anyway, and threads were in bad shape

The time came, I want to do something about my sleepy 1HD-FT, its very slow spooling, until approx 2k rpm it feels like i need to switch back one gear, so I would like to get better low end throttle response.
The engine has approx 200k kms on it, stock everything, valve clearance and injection pump+ injectors where overhauled as this was a wreckers engine. Everything works fine, no smoke, good consumption around 9-11L / 100 km, depending on how much in a hurry I am. I have a 2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust, one small muffler on it.

What turbo / option I should go for?
After reading the forum and putting together what I learned, here are the options I see:

- 1HD- FTE factory turbo: like the idea of factory, but afaik, I need to make adoptations to the exhaust manifold etc, also hard to get a good second hand and new ones are quite expensive
- I have a the old FT CT-26 from my original engine, should I get that high flowed? It might be hard to find an expert for that, but should be a bolt on solution
- There is an opportunity to buy a Gturbo HD-G300 Grunter Extreme (Green Wheel Vortex II), ordered, installed, demounted, it was not what was expected, practically new, I can get it a very friendly price (1k usd) BUT this was ordered for 1hd-t engine. Is there a difference between the 1hd-t and Ft version of this Gturbo?
- Buy something else

Which option is my best and why?

I am not chasing big powers, nor I want a lot of smoke. I dont want to get an intercooler for now either. I just want better response at low Rpms.

Of course pump adjustment will be done, also when this will get done I will install a new OEM radiator, coolant hoses, flush the engine etc. a big overhaul for the cooling system.

Best will be the Gturbo or the high-flowed stock unit. The 1HD-FTE stock turbo is a lot of work for a marginally improved stock turbo.

Having not priced it out, I'd expect having your stock turbo high-flowed would cost about double what you can pick up the Gturbo for...seems like an easy decision.

The time came, I want to do something about my sleepy 1HD-FT, its very slow spooling, until approx 2k rpm it feels like i need to switch back one gear, so I would like to get better low end throttle response.
The engine has approx 200k kms on it, stock everything, valve clearance and injection pump+ injectors where overhauled as this was a wreckers engine. Everything works fine, no smoke, good consumption around 9-11L / 100 km, depending on how much in a hurry I am. I have a 2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust, one small muffler on it.

What turbo / option I should go for?
After reading the forum and putting together what I learned, here are the options I see:

- 1HD- FTE factory turbo: like the idea of factory, but afaik, I need to make adoptations to the exhaust manifold etc, also hard to get a good second hand and new ones are quite expensive
- I have a the old FT CT-26 from my original engine, should I get that high flowed? It might be hard to find an expert for that, but should be a bolt on solution
- There is an opportunity to buy a Gturbo HD-G300 Grunter Extreme (Green Wheel Vortex II), ordered, installed, demounted, it was not what was expected, practically new, I can get it a very friendly price (1k usd) BUT this was ordered for 1hd-t engine. Is there a difference between the 1hd-t and Ft version of this Gturbo?
- Buy something else

Which option is my best and why?

I am not chasing big powers, nor I want a lot of smoke. I dont want to get an intercooler for now either. I just want better response at low Rpms.

Of course pump adjustment will be done, also when this will get done I will install a new OEM radiator, coolant hoses, flush the engine etc. a big overhaul for the cooling system.
If you're not looking for big power, just get a decent tune done on the 1HDFT. I'd suggest if the tune is standard, an adjustment of the boost compensator will provide the results you're after.

There is an opportunity to buy a Gturbo HD-G300 Grunter Extreme (Green Wheel Vortex II), ordered, installed, demounted, it was not what was expected, practically new, I can get it a very friendly price (1k usd) BUT this was ordered for 1hd-t engine. Is there a difference between the 1hd-t and Ft version of this Gturbo?

No difference. Physically they are interchangeable.

X2 on tuning what you have first. If everything fuel and turbo related is in sounds shape, it should not be sleepy with a good tune

I finally finished reading through all 2,000+ posts on this thread... Phew.

I'm looking more for low-end power but not choke out before 3500 rpm.
What are your thoughts on this?
Kinugawa Turbocharger 3" Anti-surge T05H-16K Toyota Land Cruiser 1HD-T - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/products/kinugawa-turbo-3-anti-surge-t05h-16k-toyota-land-cruiser-1hd-t-1hd-ft-7cm-fast-spool-1?variant=42231157850366
It looks like the best of both worlds, quicker spool with a 7cm and more efficient comp and turbine wheels but also does not choke out at higher revs. What are your thoughts on the turbine and comp wheel design?
There is a ball bearing type too...
Kinugawa Ball Bearing Turbo 3" T05H-16K Toyota Land Cruiser 1HDT 1HD-T - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/products/kinugawa-turbo-3-td05h-16k-toyota-land-cruiser-1hd

Kinugawa Turbocharger 3" Anti-surge T05H-16K Toyota Land Cruiser 1HD-T - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/products/kinugawa-turbo-3-anti-surge-t05h-16k-toyota-land-cruiser-1hd-t-1hd-ft-7cm-fast-spool-1?variant=42231157850366
It looks like the best of both worlds, quicker spool with a 7cm and more efficient comp and turbine wheels but also does not choke out at higher revs. What are your thoughts on the turbine and comp wheel design?
Kinugawa Ball Bearing Turbo 3" T05H-16K Toyota Land Cruiser 1HDT 1HD-T - https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/products/kinugawa-turbo-3-td05h-16k-toyota-land-cruiser-1hd
Sorry should mention, 1hdt in a 105

Penny for your thoughts... @Dougal @mudgudgeon @gerg

Looks like a solid option. I'd always go journal over BB for longevity. Journal bearing turbos can last as long as the engines they're on.
For the turbine option take the STS, shame it's only a 9 blade, the 11 blade TD06 wheels could be machined down but no-one does. The STD config is old tech and the split blade is for high rpm low boost ricers.

Looks like a solid option. I'd always go journal over BB for longevity. Journal bearing turbos can last as long as the engines they're on.
For the turbine option take the STS, shame it's only a 9 blade, the 11 blade TD06 wheels could be machined down but no-one does. The STD config is old tech and the split blade is for high rpm low boost ricers.
Thanks for your response @Dougal and @mudgudgeon , I appreciate it. Right now it's a toss-up between this kinugawa and a Holset HX30w Super (which I was turned onto in one from your previous posts). But I can find very little information on the turbo other than this:
Comp Wheel = 46/78mm flows 38-39lb/min, capable of 320-330hp on a 4bt diesel

Turbine Wheel = 65/52mm

Turbine Housing = Waste Gated 6cm for fast spooling

Flange = T3

Compressor outlet vband diameter: 74mm (same size as most HX35/HE351)

Looks like quite a bit bigger comp and turbine wheel but smaller housing.

there is the hx 30w 44mm option
Comp Wheel = 44mm

Turbine Wheel = 65/52mm
Or
Model: HE221W

FMS Billet Comp wheel 44mm / 57.98mm

Turbine wheel 51.7mm / 45.3mm

Turbine Housing = Waste Gated 7cm for fast spooling without choking engine off

Manifold Flange = T25

Yuck, no thanks not my cuppa tea. Such a tiny turbine wheel those td05h and a comp wheel inducer that's too big for most peoples needs. I always prefer the CT26 sized turbines as they don't choke as much in higher RPM and run less EMP even in the standard turbine option in comparison. Definitely choose the STS or STS 55 turbine for the td05h to make up for the smaller size. Mamba also have similar designs and worth checking out.

HX30 variants I also really like for sizing, HE221 not so much.

Yuck, no thanks not my cuppa tea. Such a tiny turbine wheel those td05h and a comp wheel inducer that's too big for most peoples needs. I always prefer the CT26 sized turbines as they don't choke as much in higher RPM and run less EMP even in the standard turbine option in comparison. Definitely choose the STS or STS 55 turbine for the td05h to make up for the smaller size. Mamba also have similar designs and worth checking out.

HX30 variants I also really like for sizing, HE221 not so much.
What is the performance difference between the HX30 and HX30 super as mounted on a 1Hz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom