The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20G is not a towing turbo. It's a throwing mud and sand at higher rpm turbo.

16G and 18G are the two compressors of more useful size.

Figured as much, was curious to see where it stood in line compared to the other offerings they have. I’ll look at their 16/18g offerings, I have an hx40 pro sitting here but that’s way too big for the little 4.2.

Figured as much, was curious to see where it stood in line compared to the other offerings they have. I’ll look at their 16/18g offerings, I have an hx40 pro sitting here but that’s way too big for the little 4.2.

HX30 Super (46mm) is a good size for towing. But it's not going to fit nicely like the others will.

Has anyone had a look at the https://www.shop.mambatek.com/Ball-...YOTA-1HD-FTE-Land-Cruiser-HDJ100-002-0742.htm, looks like a garret gtx2971r compressor with a smaller turbine housing than ct12b. Seems to be a small turbine for a compressor of that size, please correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t have much of an understanding in this area.
I know hpdiesel offer the Garret Gtx2967r as there stage 1 an the Gtx2971r as their stage 2 upgrade.

Looking to upgrade the turbo on my hdj79 1hd-fte, aiming to get as much as I can from stock fuel system which is usually around 22-24psi but with the option of running more boost if I ever change to larger injectors. Would the td05/18g be a good option for this or should I just bite the bullet and go Gturbo red vortex💸 Chances are I’ll never go higher than 22psi but I recall myself saying before that I’d never need more power than stock:rolleyes:

Currently running 18psi on stock turbo with near factory afrs, getting 148kw/570nm. Some blokes tell me I’ll be fine running the ct12 to 22psi others say not to even think of doing it. Just looking to get some thoughts/opinions on this from the turbo gurus on this forum.

4” Snorkel into custom airbox, stock pipe to turbo
Cross country intercoolers top mount 600x330x50 very efficient, never sees over 360c post turbo driving it hard at 18psi from stock turbo with 20:1 afrs.
Steinbauer 100 series chip
3” straight through
Oil is changed every 5000ks and comes out looking like when it went in, so probably not much chance of soot particles wearing out ball bearings;)

Last edited:
Has anyone had a look at the https://www.shop.mambatek.com/Ball-...YOTA-1HD-FTE-Land-Cruiser-HDJ100-002-0742.htm, looks like a garret gtx2971r compressor with a smaller turbine housing than ct12b. Seems to be a small turbine for a compressor of that size, please correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t have much of an understanding in this area.
I know hpdiesel offer the Garret Gtx2967r as there stage 1 an the Gtx2971r as their stage 2 upgrade.

Looking to upgrade the turbo on my hdj79 1hd-fte, aiming to get as much as I can from stock fuel system which is usually around 22-24psi but with the option of running more boost if I ever change to larger injectors. Would the td05/18g be a good option for this or should I just bite the bullet and go Gturbo red vortex💸 Chances are I’ll never go higher than 22psi but I recall myself saying before that I’d never need more power than stock:rolleyes:

Currently running 18psi on stock turbo with near factory afrs, getting 148kw/570nm. Some blokes tell me I’ll be fine running the ct12 to 22psi others say not to even think of doing it. Just looking to get some thoughts/opinions on this from the turbo gurus on this forum.

4” Snorkel into custom airbox, stock pipe to turbo
Cross country intercoolers top mount 600x330x50 very efficient, never sees over 360c post turbo driving it hard at 18psi from stock turbo with 20:1 afrs.
Steinbauer 100 series chip
3” straight through
Oil is changed every 5000ks and comes out looking like when it went in, so probably not much chance of soot particles wearing out ball bearings;)
Buy once cry once, I have a hdj79 as well, I'm going to to go gturbo. If I were you, I would be setting up for more rather than less, because if you ever do decide to go for more boost at least you can without needing more turbo. There is so many turbo options out there these days but I'm not going to run a ball bearing turbo. I know how clean an fte is, but Toyota never used them and dare I say it but they know what they are doing. Have you got:

Tuning module (not sure about that chip)
Heavy duty clutch to cope with the added power

Tbh, 18 to 22psi is not a massive increase so you may find later on that you need to do injectors and pump.

Ad a side note, when you have the turbo off, drill and tap the manifold for an get probe. Pre-turbo readings are more accurate disptie what most in the industry seem to suggest. Hth, good luck

Buy once cry once, I have a hdj79 as well, I'm going to to go gturbo. If I were you, I would be setting up for more rather than less, because if you ever do decide to go for more boost at least you can without needing more turbo. There is so many turbo options out there these days but I'm not going to run a ball bearing turbo. I know how clean an fte is, but Toyota never used them and dare I say it but they know what they are doing. Have you got:

Tuning module (not sure about that chip)
Heavy duty clutch to cope with the added power

Tbh, 18 to 22psi is not a massive increase so you may find later on that you need to do injectors and pump.

Ad a side note, when you have the turbo off, drill and tap the manifold for an get probe. Pre-turbo readings are more accurate disptie what most in the industry seem to suggest. Hth, good luck
Yeah that’s true, GTurbos have been around for a while now and I know a few fellas who run them and swear by them.
Steinbauer tuning module is a lot like a dte tuning module as far as I know just with a few safety features built in.
Heavy duty clutch is the next thing on the list as well as 3.5 ratio crown wheel an pinion front an back.(a lot of my driving is highway, usually 2000k round trips once every 2 months)
Drilling the manifold for egt probe, where’s the best position for that?

Found it, I’ll have to drill it and reposition the sensor when I get a chance. Build looks good mate, exhaust fab is spot on👍
What’s the max boost you would run out of the stock fte turbo?
I wouldn't go anymore than you have already, it becomes the question of how much reliably rather than max boost. Personally I'm going to say 16psi is about as far as you want to go if you don't want it to grenade.

I wouldn't go anymore than you have already, it becomes the question of how much reliably rather than max boost. Personally I'm going to say 16psi is about as far as you want to go if you don't want it to grenade.
Yeah good point, might just leave it as it is till I can scratch together funds for a bigger turbo.

Yeah that’s true, GTurbos have been around for a while now and I know a few fellas who run them and swear by them.
Steinbauer tuning module is a lot like a dte tuning module as far as I know just with a few safety features built in.
Heavy duty clutch is the next thing on the list as well as 3.5 ratio crown wheel an pinion front an back.(a lot of my driving is highway, usually 2000k round trips once every 2 months)
Drilling the manifold for egt probe, where’s the best position for that?
I have a TD05-18g Mamba on my 1HDT and have been pretty happy with it. I had a warped block so I have never ran the setup on a good engine .... head gasket leaking. I posted some vids on you tube awhile back. (Search youtube - 1HDT Mamba td05-18g)
As for back pressure I will know very soon if the smaller turbine is creating too much or not. Also there is a link in my signature to where my EGT and EMP are mounted.
Cheers

Last edited:
Decided on the Mamba 20G after seeing a couple good results from the 18G on here. I’m sure I’ll hit surge lower in the RPMs or towing (I’ve decided that towing with the 1HDT just isn’t ideal anyhow). Worse case if I end up not liking it I can go down to the 18G, or just go the HX30S route.

It’s probably a bit too large, but with a lot of the highway driving I do I rolled the dice and bought it (just under 700 dollars delivered from Mamba directly). I’ve seen Mamba turbos on quite a few local gassers and they’ve put 30k or so miles on them with zero issues so I’m not worried about the reliability.

Decided on the Mamba 20G after seeing a couple good results from the 18G on here. I’m sure I’ll hit surge lower in the RPMs or towing (I’ve decided that towing with the 1HDT just isn’t ideal anyhow). Worse case if I end up not liking it I can go down to the 18G, or just go the HX30S route.

It’s probably a bit too large, but with a lot of the highway driving I do I rolled the dice and bought it (just under 700 dollars delivered from Mamba directly). I’ve seen Mamba turbos on quite a few local gassers and they’ve put 30k or so miles on them with zero issues so I’m not worried about the reliability.

20G is too big for anything except high rpm mud throwing. You'll compromise 50% of your rev range.

That’s what it’ll mostly be doing, that and flinging snow. I’ve more or less given up towing with it beyond my boat.

Worse case I’ll go down to the 16/18G you mentioned earlier or adapt the HX30S if I hate it that much.

20G is too big for anything except high rpm mud throwing. You'll compromise 50% of your rev range.

That’s what it’ll mostly be doing, that and flinging snow. I’ve more or less given up towing with it beyond my boat.

Worse case I’ll go down to the 16/18G you mentioned earlier or adapt the HX30S if I hate it that much.

Flinging snow means altitude and the 20G will really suffer there. It will suck to tow with also. Even the 18G is going to be borderline too big.

3-4K feet. Oh I’m not going to tow anything beyond my boat now (couple hundred feet above sea level). Most of the time I’ll be near sea level with my trips into altitude 5k feet or lower.

Sounds like a big 16G might be what I go with down the line, with how inexpensive these are and with me being able to use this 20G on another project I’m not too put out having bought it.

Flinging snow means altitude and the 20G will really suffer there. It will suck to tow with also. Even the 18G is going to be borderline too big.

You'll love it mate! 18/20g is now considered the perfect match, at least here in Australia with most of us spending plenty of time at highway speeds and the consideration of altitude is zero since we don't have any! 🤣 Plenty of happy guys running 20g

That’s the consensus I gleaned from some of y’alls forums. I spend a lot of time doing 120kmh plus getting places (all at or a few hundred feet above sea level) with the exception of going into 3-5k feet to get to the fun places (mostly passing through, though in central Oregon it’s all in the 3-4500 range).

You'll love it mate! 18/20g is now considered the perfect match, at least here in Australia with most of us spending plenty of time at highway speeds and the consideration of altitude is zero since we don't have any! 🤣 Plenty of happy guys running 20g

If you want really high rpm ability I guess a 20g would be a choice but your putting a large inducer on and it's going to push you closer to surge than even the 18g is. The entire td05/06 line of compressors are a poor match to any diesel and are designed for high rpm and lowish boost. Classic gas compresor. If towing is your thing then the smaller compressor (16g) would give you faster response and more surge resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom