The 2 Minute Fix - Sunroof Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since painting and sound deadening the 80, the last bit of unwanted noise was coming from the the sunroof. No matter how much I fidgetted with the switches, I just couldn't get rid of the wind noise. After a quick search, I found LC4LIFE's thread - Bicycle tube sunroof fix. Great idea, but its raining and I didn't feel like removing the trim and glass and digging into it today.

So here is the 2 minute quick fix that worked flawlessly for me and most likely will be my permanent fix.

1. Cut a piece of thin gauge shielded wire about the same length as the width of your sunroof. I used telephone chord, since its flat and just about the right size. Thinner the better, you don't want the super insulated stuff.

2. Open sun roof about 5 inches so the front edge is exposed and accessible from inside the vehicle.

3. Find the slot between the glass and weather stripping. The rubber/felt is fused to the glass on the top, but there is a gap all around the bottom. Insert the strip of wire. Use a flat head screwdriver to press the wire up into the groove the entire length of the sunroof. (I used the handle of a fork since it's not as sharp and I have a thing for transferring useful kitchen utensils to my garage)

That's it! This pushes the leading edge of the weather strip about 1/16" forward and allows the worn felt to seal again.

Last edited:
Sounds like a quick (and cheap) fix!

Yep! very cheap... and effective. Here's a picture for those who want the visual. The gray strip is the phone line, its a nice snug fit an wont fall out.
sunroof.jpg

Last edited:
Worked like a champ... and it really does take longer to find some wire, then it does to do the install!!

THANK YOU Schlaker!

I am pleased... that you are pleased...

Schlaker you are my hero for the day! :cheers:

Nice cheap trick..

I found some black cord to cut up ;). I'll probably remember what it was for later, :doh:.

That worked great.

Now if I could figure out what gauge wire to use to get rid of the roof rack and tire noise;).

Schlaker,

Do you have this plastic piece on your sunroof? (See pics below) Reason I'm asking is I haven't noticed any wind noise from sunroof unless it's open and mine's a '94, almost same age as yours.

Nope no plastic above mine. Don't think many came with that. I would guess that would deflect wind pretty well.

Nope no plastic above mine. Don't think many came with that. I would guess that would deflect wind pretty well.

Bought my 80 used with it on plus a wind deflector on leading edge of hood. Both sayToyota on them so may have been an option. I know the one on my hood has saved my windshield at least once. It took a chunk out on drivers side. It was a rock thrown up by a car coming opposite direction on 2-lane highway.

I have the same wind deflector on my sunroof, mine apears to be aftermarket. When I got the cruiser the po had removed it but was nice enough to include when I bought it. I reinstalled it and it works great full open on the hwy and no heavy wind noise, I used to have slight noise when closed no longer with wind deflector.

and nice job on the cheap fix when my deflector gets broken, I will remember to use this trick to stop the wind noise. I have a piece of black phone cable in my tool bag now I will probably forget why it is in there but saving it anyway.

That's really helpful. Thanks, schlaker.

:cheers:

Great solution :) Thank you.

Now if I could only quite the internal wind deflector while open ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom