The 1974 Surf Wagon... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 1974 Surf Wagon (FZJ55)...

I had always dreamed of owning a FJ55 it is by far my favorite style cruiser. This will also be the first cruiser that wont have to be a daily driver. Ive never had that luxury, I always had dual purpose Land Cruisers. It will be great to have a Sunday driver I can take on camping surf trips, wheeling & TLCA events. I finally feel like a Cruiserhead again!!!:beer::beer::beer:

A little history on the rig. I bought it off of Travis (890man) out in California (Thanks man!:beer:). The rig got T-boned by a Jetta 3 years ago and has been sitting ever since. It sustained rocker panel, door, sill, body mount, spring mount, floor damage that will all get fixed slowly. I don't see any other frame damage besides the spring hangers but we will see. On the bright side its pretty rust free as far a pig goes.:bounce:

Plans for now besides hanging out in the driveway with the other two blue Toyotas. Take body parts off, get them rust free and fix the damage from the accident. I'm just excited to finally have one and enjoy the build up.

I got more story to tell later but for now here's some pictures.
-Al:beer:
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3989.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet bro! Glad to see she's home. The ultimate surf wagon for sure. Looks like she's in nice shape too. I think our pigs hung out in a previous life. Eerily similar... Does she run? Iirc some radiator damage sidelined her too? Funny what pigs go through to finally come home... happy for ya bro!

It's just amazing, to me, how these landcruisers move back and forth, across the United States. Have fun working on it and keep smiling, looks like you got a good start.

I havn't got a chance to see if she runs or even turns over... I need a fan,rad,battery,plugs,igniter etc etc before that can happen.

Kina, Yep not sure what kind though. Springs seem in good shape.

Scrapdaddy I hear ya. It cost a small fortune to get a non-running pig from Cali to Florida. Driver said the last time he did the trip with a truck like this the owner stuffed it with pot. The cops checked it at a weigh station and he spent a few nights in jail.

Speaking of shipping, the truck driver could not get close to the house because of all the live oaks in the neighborhood. He dropped it about a half a mile away along side the road. Truck ended up having a flat on the top rack of the rig and would not take any air. So I had to roll it from the top of the trailer down on to the road. I ran home and grabbed a spare tire and in the mean time the 55 slipped off of the jack and was sitting on the drum brake aside of the road. Needless to say it took a bit to get the tire on. After we got it rolling I towed it thru some of the slower streets in the neighborhood up into the driveway.

Tonight I spent some time spraying down the inside of the body panels with some light oil to arrest any rust until I can start sand blasting body panels.

This weekend I hope to tear into it a little more to see what I can find...

Thanks for all the good words! Glad to be back!

Here is a shot of the damage. Ill try to straighten some of it and just get replacement metal for the rest of it. Should be an adventure.
IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3992.jpg

Some more pictures before I start tearing into.

Alright F.5 wizards... whats missing?:D
IMG_4012.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg
IMG_4018.jpg

ignition coil, pcv components, and original fuel filter

I've got an original filter that hasn't been used---yours for the shipping--congrats on the new ride

I pulled the exhaust and intake manifold, carb for a cleaning/rebuild. Need to call Kurt for a rebuild kit for the 3J3 Carb.

Started cleaning up the grill... Just going to start in the front of the rig and work my way back cleaning up rust, dents and paint.

Here's some pics from the beginning of the resto:beer:
IMG_4661.jpg
IMG_4662.jpg
IMG_4664.jpg

Last edited:
Got some time in on the Cruiser this weekend and finished up rebuilding the carb for the most part. I rejetted it for 8ft above sea level;)

Thanks Kurt for the parts:beer:

Pablo that's just primer. I have a little more to do and it will be ready for paint.

Till then...
-Al:beer:
IMG_4820.jpg
IMG_4821.jpg
IMG_4822.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom