The $100,000 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Crazy. 5k actual miles. Current bid on Bring A Trailer $100,000. Will it go higher? The story about this cruiser is nuts. I was gonna bid, but it's green so...

1522192612f66e7dff9f98764da1978-FJ40-TLC-pass-34-front-alt-940x530.jpg

Bring A Trailer 5K mile FJ40

Here's the full story on this one in video format:

Johnathan ward is selling it, the backstory on BAT is interesting!

I would like to have seen that "crate on the wall" with the 40 in it. "Oh, it's just an old Toyota".

Wow!

Maybe @Living in the Past can chime in, most of the original 77 and 78 FJ40s had the screws on the windshield hinges painted body color. These in this video are shining like new hardware that was replaced.
IMG_1356.PNG

On the back door hinges the lower hinge is missing a bolt or screw and the other has an odd washer under the bolt, neither of which is original. Note the video time of 4:27

IMG_1357.PNG

IMG_1358.jpg

Maybe @Living in the Past can chime in, most of the original 77 and 78 FJ40s had the screws on the windshield hinges painted body color. These in this video are shining like new hardware that was replaced.
View attachment 1669890

On the back door hinges the lower hinge is missing a bolt or screw and the other has an odd washer under the bolt, neither of which is original. Note the video time of 4:27

View attachment 1669891

View attachment 1669893

Those were not even hex head bolt but Phillip style screws. Not 100% sure on the windshield frame screw. I know 79 no longer had counter sunk screws that weren't painted. All counter sunk screws were painted. Haven't save any pictures but these appear to be counter sunk. If it was truely removed from a crate and the owner's children researched enough to find TLC but no one documented any of this with pictures seem stange. They though it was a jeep but it was just a old Land Cruiser. With that statement sounded like would have just dumped it on CL. There is a lot of marketing going on and no one played enough attention to details to help back of the story.

Just remembered I have a couple of 11/78 cowls. One of those still has some of the screws for the windshield hinges. There were not painted or counter sunk.

Last edited:
The last two original owner 40's I saw in person and dis-assembled were countersunk and painted screws. Looking for another few pictures, I'm not saying the vehicle isn't very low miles and lots of originality but there are a few shots that make me wonder-like the back doors
My buddies one owner His dad-1977

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0066.jpg

Last edited:
The last two original owner 40's I saw in person and dis-assembled were countersunk and painted screws. Looking for another few pictures, I'm not saying the vehicle isn't very low miles and lots of originality but there are a few shots that make me wonder-like the back doors

Hey man, serving "hard time in the box" all those years can change a man, er...a Fj40!

Another AZ original. Screws on the back door
78 Landcruiser 006.JPG
78 Landcruiser 008.JPG
78 Landcruiser 012.JPG

The windshield screws I may be wrong on but the rear doors- no way

Lots of bs from Jonathan Ward as usual.......... Check out the thread in 40/55 Series.

Unless he is giving names the claim nicest FJ40 by experts is nothing more then marketing. One of the lastest posts on the thread pointed out the cover on the rear heater is backards. Didn't come from the factory this way. The claim was it was used for one summer then crated up. Second owner put a number of miles on it. Doubt the rear heater would not a scratch just from that use. So who repainted it and reinstalled it the cover? A professional who had white gloves on for this museum piece or some kid doing the grunt work in the shop?

Last edited:
Dont think Ward really give a $hit what is posted here because they are not his buying audience;)

May not be "100% perfect" but rest assured it will be 100% perfect to the people the new owner shows it to sitting in his garage in Aspen.

spot on

Dont think Ward really give a $hit what is posted here because they are not his buying audience;)

May not be "100% perfect" but rest assured it will be 100% perfect to the people the new owner shows it to sitting in his garage in Aspen.

I agree with you 100%. I doubt you will see a post from any vendors on it which is just business sense. Me on the other hand even if I had the funds to spend six figures on a toy it certainly would be something I used could hurt the value. Siting in the Aspen garage is probably where it will end up to Maybe see the pavement occasionally. Personally think the second owner driving hurt the value. Because of it was a friend who knows what he paid for it. I'm sure he and Johnathan are looking to make something off of it. The muscle cars you see sell for big money are being driven with the idea more miles are going to help the value.what missing here is documentation on the history.

What’s really missing is a pic of it coming out of said crate!!!! What a bunch of s***!!!!! If I hit powerball I would still not buy from Ward..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom