The 1 year point in my refurb'ing of my '72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I am in the middle of my second layoff in two summers and it seems that my 40 has become the silver lining. I get to work 8-9 hours a day on it and scare the neighbor's kids with the sawzall, grinding, welding and swearing. :) I got it in NH for $300 and since then have been pouring mostly labor into it. The guy I bought it from said it was driven until '78 when the motor siezed. Since then it had sat in one yard or another until I picked it up last year. A buddy of mine helped me out by towing it to MA and since then it has undergone a pretty decent transformation.
I have a few more things to do to it such as finish up the rockers, do the rear brakes, and finish up some of the wiring.
I took off the tub and addressed some of the weak points that had rusted through, wirewheeled the frame and painted it with Magnetpaints antique satin black. The PO was bright enough to cut up the wheel wells and expose the cross section of the tub that held the seat mounting bolts, so I cut all that out and welded in some 4x4x1/8 box and did the same with the rear sill using 2.5x2.5x1/8" box there.
The rear quarters were bent up by a buddy of mine who works at a machine shop and also got me the steel. The rear quarters from the door back are all 1/8" as well as the rockers that are in the process of going in now (If it werent raining right now, I wouldnt be posting, I'd be welding. :D ). To be proactive and save myself some time and money, I have already cut the rear wheel wells for TJ flares and have them already mocked up. Im waiting to paint the rest of it so I can install them. The seats came from a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus and the driver's side is motorized. It didnt come with any seats or brackets so I had to make my own. They turned out pretty well. The console bracketry mounts between the seats and sits over the rear heater pretty well. I designed it to leave the entire space between the seats open underneath the console with the brackets of the seats carrying the load with a single bracket in the rear bridging over the heater.

Without further ado, here is my new ride which I hope will be on the road by sometime next week.

My Rebuild Process

Last edited:
some good progress, nice work...

Hi All:

Congrats! All those long hours of effort are coming together!

I finished a body tub swap on my FJ40 in early June, after the rig had been off the road for almost 1.5 years - too many things going on, not enough time!!

Looking good! What drivetrain combo did you decide on?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

man, thats alot of work! You clearly have alot of vision, time, and importaintly skills. That is quite a project man. looks awesome. How long till shes on the road?

cheers!
Dustin

Nice work, but you've got to fix the wheelwell line before painting. FJ40 Cruisers don't have round wheelwells - old Jeeps (and FJ25s) do. Hope you don't take this hard and I'm not saying that you've got to go for purism, but that wheelwell line is a basic part of the look of a cruiser - an essential element of the widespread appeal.

Last edited:
honk said:
you've got to fix the wheelwell line before painting. Cruisers don't have round wheelwells - old Jeeps do.

Hey, who are you calling a Jeeper?? There's a bunch of us vintage Cruiser owners (with stock rounded wheel wells) that might disagree with that. :D :D
JCsFJ25a1.jpg
Johns25a1.jpg
FJ252a11.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! OK, OK! :D I amend my remarks above.

honk said:
Nice work, but you've got to fix the wheelwell line before painting. FJ40 Cruisers don't have round wheelwells - old Jeeps (and FJ25s) do. Hope you don't take this hard and I'm not saying that you've got to go for purism, but that wheelwell line is a basic part of the look of a cruiser - an essential element of the widespread appeal.
Did you miss the part where he said it was mocked up for TJ flares?

:rolleyes:

Tucker

tucker74 said:
Did you miss the part where he said it was mocked up for TJ flares?

:rolleyes:

Tucker

No. Guess I'll be proactive and bend one of my tubs inward so the unused wrangler plastic hardtop that a guy down the road offered me could fit on my '72. Bet it would be neat to have that molded watertight black top on there, eh? :rolleyes:

honk said:
LOL! OK, OK! :D I amend my remarks above.

(Nice re-editing, Honk.)
The FJ-25 Gods will forgive you . . . . this time.

So, go round out your wheel wells and join the elite! :D :D

Last edited:
honk said:
No. Guess I'll be proactive and bend one of my tubs inward so the unused wrangler plastic hardtop that a guy down the road offered me could fit on my '72. Bet it would be neat to have that molded watertight black top on there, eh? :rolleyes:
Cool - then you gonna take it off some sweet jumps? The age old modified vs. stock debate ... I actually think TJ flares look cool, I hate the riveted on crap the PO put on mine. If I ever came across an unmolested rig that wasn't rusty (like that's gonna happen) I would leave them though.

Be sure to post up some pics of your '72 :flipoff2:

Tucker

Very cool. I did the same thing with my FJ55 and there are a couple things I wish I would have done, sand blast the frame if possible and mostly absolutely make sure there is no rust, wirewheel, maybe get it media blasted, or possibly sand blasted because after a year of work, the rust came back under the paint :( But this may have been me - but I was in exactly the same boat as you. Lots of time and unfortunately not a lot of money. Looks damn good and nice to see a clean cruiser on the east coast! Also definetely do not drive it in winter. That took the small rust I had and accellerated it right into a quite rusty beat in a matter of 6 months... :(

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the TJ flares do look nice on there and retain the outward angular look the aftermarket FJ40 flares have while providing what seems to be a larger wheel opening. On top of that, they are nice and flexible, and if I ever break one they are cheap to replace.

I am really happy with the work I have done on it. This has been one of the best experiences I have had. It really helps me visualize how far I have come since I was in college, broke and doing tune ups for beer money.

Some of the other stuff included transplanting a '78 wiring harness in, adding the roll bar for 3 point seatbelts, replacing almost all of the brake lines with bulk and double flaring all the ends, and upgrading some of the circuits. I dont remember if I took any pics under the hood but I had to replace a lot of stuff and modernizing it.

Im using a 2F I refurbed from my old '79 and a 4speed trans and tcase. I took everything out of the engine except for the crank and cam, checked everything to be sure it was in spec, cleaned up some carbon deposits, had the head hot tanked and magnafluxed and the flywheel resurfaced. Didnt need to have it decked luckily. I replaced all the gaskets with new and repainted the engine with cast coat iron color. I need to adjust the valves before driving it anywhere, they're still making a tapping sound louder than I'd like.

Last edited:
Update. I did the first coat of paint yesterday and have to sand a few spots, but so far, so good. I am really getting the hang of using a rattlecan well. It would be cool to repaint it sometime in the future with a real gun and real paint. Im using Detroit Diesel Alpine Green engine paint. I figure it will work well since the folks who made it said it is good up to 500* and has some ceramics built into it. They also said it was UV stable. If things dont work out, I will have to come up with a contingency plan, maybe Durabak or some coating custom mixed to my color. I want to keep it all the same though since I went through the effort to paint the interior and under the hood this same color. Anyways, here is where I am at this morning..

Nice work!!!

Keep us up to date. I love to see the ol chunk of coal become a diamond.

Wow! That is an amazing transformation.
Hard to believe it's the same vehicle.

Hi All:

"Pinion" - nice work! I'm sure your wife wishes you'd but as much effort into yardwork or the "honey-do" list! ;)

I painted my '74 FJ40 GM engine block blue after swapping the '68 rear tub on this last winter - it was the closest shade of rattle can blue to the current color of the truck!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom