1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The '03 rig...

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by e9999, Dec 18, 2003.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

well, I'll spare you the gushing comments about creature comforts in the '03. But here are a coupla tidbits on the tech side that may be of interest to the (sadly) few 100 owners in the clan:

- the 5 speed is great, it really feels much peppier than the 4. (No OD switch left, btw).
    - Still has CDL switch, as well as Power and 2nd, though.
    - mileage is not as good as expected, computer says 15.5 mostly on the freeway (with 87) and about 14 in town. What the ???
    - The thing came with 18" wheel (had no choice) with somewhat low profile tires (Dunlop Grand trek 275/60R18, not too bad actually, bit firmer than Michelin LTX M/S but still road tires). Still the 5x150 pattern but bigger wheel (17” at least) to accommodate bigger calipers I guess. This is really a pain, though. I wanted to rig a second set with offroad tires, but for the sake of me, short of custom or using adapters, I can not find any steel wheel that will fit. And not too keen on taking the 18s and skinny tires on rocky roads... I was wondering about this size bizness before, and apparently it is indeed an issue. If you get a newer 100, get the 17" wheels!
    - Can’t see any significant difference underneath compared to the earlier 100s.
    - Ride is fairly similar to earlier 100s, any difference likely overshadowed by tire characteristics.

More later.
    Eric

2. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Keep it on the road and buy a wheeler. .02 spent

3. Pitbull

Pitbull

Congrats on the new ride. I figure I will get a 100 when the 80 wears out. Keep us posted on how you like it. Do you know how many 100's they are making now. Just never see anymore than 1 at the Toyota dealership.

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

well, I live near L.A. (SoCal) so there are a fair number of the 100s around in that area. Took us a while to get what she wanted though. Mostly 2001 and earlier around, most lease returns no doubt. Definitely not many new ones being sold.
    Eric

5. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

>> Definitely not many new ones being sold.

In fact, so few that Toyota will be dropping the Land Cruiser (100 Series) from the U.S. model lineup. I cannot remember if the 2004, or 2005 model will be the last... at least, that is what all the trade talk and auto industry people are saying. RIP.

R -