That long parking brake cable, who has them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
That long 68" parking brake cable that we've been using for years to solve all kinds of drivetrain length problems, part #46410-60050.
I called 2 dealerships today, NLA. Called Kurt, no longer available, no replacement...
Holy Cow, what are we (and Me) gonna do now? Mines busted

These are aftermarket, I haven't used one, but I did get the 4speed speedo cable from NAPA once to replace my 3speed cable. It was longer worked better at the time. I used a Toyota brake cable on my FZJ80 a few years ago, used an aftermarket one on my T100. Not a huge difference in quality actually, considering the Toyota ebrake cables are at least twice as much money. Only poor quality between those two cables which are pretty much the same was the baffled rubber on the aftermarket cable that keeps out the gunk, but the Toyota rubber fails too. Not an issue on a 40 cable.

Specs both say they are 68 inches for the optional 4 speed pre 75. These appear to be available. Unless you just got to have OEM.

do not have to go OEM, I may have to take a look at that Napa cable, maybe could just cut off that 40 bracket piece. Or maybe it just slides off if i unthread the nuts...
so;
plan A: Look at that Napa cable, see if I can make it fit.
plan 2: Find out from push-pull how much time and money to rebuild mine.
plan III: Shell out for the BTB heavy duty cable

Plenty of options, thanks, all, for the help.

What are you applying it to? The two parts I linked appear to be the same part, a Dorman product. The listing from rockauto has the original Toyota part number listed in it as an alternate part. I would assume if you were modifying the OEM part, these can be modified the same way. The stamped metal peice that goes to the firewall comes off I imagine, it is just threaded there and that is the adjustment for the cable.

What are you applying it to?
I'm hoping to apply it to my FJ55...
yes, looks like that stamped piece will just slide off if I remove a nut. Don't need it 'cause the 55 mount is already on the firewall.
Napa says it's a good number but there are none in the US, Rockauto won't ship to me 'cause of state and city taxes...so I ordered one from amazon

yes, looks like that stamped piece will just slide off if I remove a nut.

Nope, that don't work. Inside diameter of the nuts is smaller than the eye of the cable...also smaller than the swaged end of the hardware. So, power tools. I just cut off the offending bracket.
Rest of the cable looks good. Correct ends, correct length and diameter.
20200623_162555.jpg

Would of been disappointed in any other solution, well done, hope to see you on the trail, been too long, take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom