Thanksgiving Accident - Repair Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudcats! My 03 LC was rear-ended Thanksgiving morning. It really didn't do much to my truck, but their car was jacked up. I took it in to the body shop today for them to take pics and give an estimate to the insurance company. They were just starting to research parts/estimate etc, so I don't know what they're going to say needs repairing, but they said they may not be able to get the parts because it's so old.

Looks like it needs a new tailgate and bumper.

Do you think these parts would be hard or impossible to get?

I appreciate your thoughts if you've had experience with repairing an "older" Cruiser with an insurance company involved. I'm in the Memphis area.
Thanksgiving Accident-rear passenger bumper.jpg
Thanksgiving Accident-rear passenger bumper2.jpg
Thanksgiving Accident-rear passenger bumper3.jpg

Thanks!

You may find a good used bumper and tailgate on eBay and if you’re lucky you may find it in original paint. I have a video on how to replace rear bumper. And tailgate replacement shouldn’t be hard also. Get estimate and get cash from insurance. Used bumper and tailgate may cost you 600 in total. Brand new parts are still available, the car might be old but they are all the same till 2007. Brand new parts will cost around 800 to 1000 dollars but then you have to pay extra to paint it.

You may find a good used bumper and tailgate on eBay and if you’re lucky you may find it in original paint. I have a video on how to replace rear bumper. And tailgate replacement shouldn’t be hard also. Get estimate and get cash from insurance. Used bumper and tailgate may cost you 600 in total. Brand new parts are still available, the car might be old but they are all the same till 2007. Brand new parts will cost around 800 to 1000 dollars but then you have to pay extra to paint it.

Thanks for the reply! I'm just hoping it can be done by the body shop - as seamlessly as possible.....but I'm sure that's wishful thinking!

USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN DEALING WITH INSURANCE COMPANIES!
They will burn you any way they can...

Quite often you can find front & rear bumpers from people that have gone to aftermarket steel bumpers, for almost nothing.

I’d look in the “Classified” & “Clubhouse” sections of this forum, to try to find one close to you. You could also look for a “part out” for a tailgate, but it’s my understanding that both the liftgates and tailgates go pretty fast.

Last edited:
The tailgate looks repairable by any decent body shop, shouldn’t need replaced. Plenty of used bumper covers floating around for free. Check MUD classifieds and car-part.com.

You should be able to get a decent payout for new parts from insurance and then possibly use a PDR place for the tail gate and get a used bumper cover from the classifieds here or a yard, and probably pocket some cash in the end.

That looks like a great opportunity to get an aftermarket rear bumper to me

Yep I'd have them write you a check for whatever they estimate for you

Buy a nice Slee swingout bumper and use the rest to get a body shop to fix the tailgate

Okay, first do your own research. Do not guess if a new OEM tailgate is available from Toyota. Find the part number from a US dealer and check actual availability. Appraisers are humans and can be lazy if they assume something… they may just go with it instead of tracking it down on a old vehicle.

second, how did you select your body shop? whatever you do, do not go to a shop recommended to you by the insurer or not or associated with their direct repair program. Look up Toyota’S certified collision repair network in your area. They will be much more on your side… and want to use Toyota parts!

finally, the tough thing you will have to deal with is the low percentage of damage that can ”total” a car. Every state is different and every insurance company is different. Most people would want to do all they can to avoid a title being stamped with “salvage” for future buyers never believe the reasons that sellers provide.

finally2, as said above, the easiest thing may just be to take the check from the insurer and go handle it yourself with MUD contacts.

good luck!

Okay, first do your own research. Do not guess if a new OEM tailgate is available from Toyota. Find the part number from a US dealer and check actual availability. Appraisers are humans and can be lazy if they assume something… they may just go with it instead of tracking it down on a old vehicle.

second, how did you select your body shop? whatever you do, do not go to a shop recommended to you by the insurer or not or associated with their direct repair program. Look up Toyota’S certified collision repair network in your area. They will be much more on your side… and want to use Toyota parts!

finally, the tough thing you will have to deal with is the low percentage of damage that can ”total” a car. Every state is different and every insurance company is different. Most people would want to do all they can to avoid a title being stamped with “salvage” for future buyers never believe the reasons that sellers provide.

finally2, as said above, the easiest thing may just be to take the check from the insurer and go handle it yourself with MUD contacts.

good luck!
I'll check on availability...haven't done that yet.

The body shop was recommended by a friend, but they are also "approved" by State Farm.

I appreciate your thorough response!

P/N 65061-60260 is the lower tailgate assembly, Partsouq shows two in stock at $514.28 each. Double check the P/N by entering in your VIN.

My local dealer also shows it as available for $637.19.

P/N 65061-60260 is the lower tailgate assembly, Partsouq shows two in stock at $514.28 each. Double check the P/N by entering in your VIN.

My local dealer also shows it as available for $637.19.
These are unpainted units, just primered, right?

good luck!

Do you know if this is the stock bumper? If so, it's $250.

Toyota 52159-60907​

Cover, Rear Bumper
1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 5215960907

And this is the tailgate? $275

Toyota 64780-60190-A0​

Panel Assy, Back Door Trim
1998-2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 6478060190A0

• Part Description
    • IVORY,TRIM40,41

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm trying to get my ducks in a row in case I need to handle this.....what a pain!

Do you know if this is the stock bumper? If so, it's $250.

Toyota 52159-60907​

Cover, Rear Bumper
1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 5215960907

And this is the tailgate? $275

Toyota 64780-60190-A0​

1998-2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 6478060190A0

• Part Description
    • IVORY,TRIM40,41

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm trying to get my ducks in a row in case I need to handle this.....what a pain!
Bumper cover: 52159-6A914
Tailgate: 65061-60231

Last edited:
Yep, another vote for take the check and grab a swingout bumper. Push the dent out as much as possible in the tailgate. Downside is you cannot claim damage on that body section again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom