Thanks - Great forum & Members (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
I wish I had known about this forum when I owned my 91 Fj80 years ago. But I’m damn glad I’ve found it now. Although it’s costly reading, lol. On to the 97 my wife drove for twenty years and I recently stole. I usually travel for work and have limited free time so I paid to have the 2.5” OME lift, front axles rebuild, wits seat extension, ARB bull bar, light force venom driving lights, PHH and KO2s installed. A local muffler shop rebuilt my exhaust. This weekend I removed my gold emblems and put on the vintage Toyota emblems from Brad along with two of his cup holders. I also had all the fluids changed.

With only 170k on the clock, I feel like We could now drive it anywhere again. I’d also like to get the Distributor o-ring, oil pump oil seal and front crank seals replaced. Could any reputable mechanic do this or do I need to take it to someone familiar with Labd Cruisers and does anyone have an estimate on cost? Thanks again for all the data and advice.

Herrett

D8280A1D-04AC-4912-A1DC-FCA2FBC5B692.jpeg

116311E2-68F9-4CAF-8A7C-738395C94417.jpeg

487DB8FF-5A05-49A5-8045-FDC2C7AC2C1C.jpeg

956911CF-0B1F-4500-9753-29E26F04DBD0.jpeg

Sheesh that thing looks great! Not sure about all of your items but I would consider doing the distributor o-ring yourself...was not hard to do at all and knocked that out while replacing my valve cover gasket. Have all the parts for the oil pump gasket and it doesn’t look too bad to replace. There’s a good YouTube video by texasknowhow for that job.

Fine looking machine. I replaced the distributor ring in about an hour, taking my time and cleaning everything up before stabbing it back in and setting the timing (my first time to set timing on an 80). I’m no mechanic so I’d say any reputable mechanic can do that.

The oil pump cover gasket and crank seal was a job, prolly took me 5 hours. Biggest pain was making sure to not strip the flat head screws on the oil pump cover and cleaning up the mess from the leaks. I did a lot of reading on the subject before jumping in. Someone familiar with the job would be an asset. I changed the belts and fan clutch at the same time. You’re definitely paying for labor on this one as the parts to do it are not expensive. Maybe a local clubhouse group would be willing to help you out?

Nice looking rig. Yes, any decent mechanic could handle the seals. But they need to understand the importance of torquing the crank pulley/harmonic balancer to 304 ft. lbs (very important).

Haven't been through 'Grove' in many years, hope it's still a nice, quiet town. Need to make a trip to Grand Lake and go the family Cabin on Spavinaw Creek.

Sweet looking truck. Looking good with such LOE miles, it’s got a whole new life ahead. What are you planning to do with it?

Thanks for the compliments and advice, especially the torque setting. Yep, Grove is a great little town on the lake. I moved from Tulsa a couple of years ago. As far as what I’ll use it for, mainly for hunting and fishing. I belong to a 5,000 acre hunting lease on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas and this will replace my F350 for hunting use. Although the wife is talking about taking some overland trips in it.

Herrett.

Thanks for the compliments and advice, especially the torque setting. Yep, Grove is a great little town on the lake. I moved from Tulsa a couple of years ago. As far as what I’ll use it for, mainly for hunting and fishing. I belong to a 5,000 acre hunting lease on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas and this will replace my F350 for hunting use. Although the wife is talking about taking some overland trips in it.

Herrett.
BBC

I would skip the oil pump cover and front main seal unless you're dripping oil on the ground. That's just me. Sweet color scheme and really clean looking truck!

Thanks. Maybe I need to really clean that area of the engine thoroughly and see if I can just replace the distributor o-ring.
Herrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom