Thank you, IH8MUD. Stuck in the middle of the desert, looking for fusible link MOD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
you can read all about not technical info and some pics HERE ON IH8MUD
Thank you IH8MUD for the info and what I learn here from very experienced members that contribute from there time and knowledge. (FAQ is fantastic)
When I got my rig I prepared myself according to the FAQ and got all tools and parts for field service in case of malfunction,,I printed a hard copy of the no-start instructions and loaded the FSM and EWD to the navigation tablet this was 5 years ago.
We stopped for a coffee break under one tree the engine rpm went up and down all dash lights (except the check engine) blinked on and off and the engine died and was cranking but no start. Scenario 3 in the HI8MUD instructions.
I had 2 problems had all tools and parts but could not find the hard copy. and I upgraded my tablet and forgot all about the FSM and EWD.
so we had to drive to the last point we had cell reception got on IH8MUD FAQ and printed the screen and went to the rig dead corps.
One minute later I knew what the problem was and we started to change the fusible link that failed mechanically due to stress and vibrations. I had a spear F L

FL.jpg

AND NOW MY QUESTION?
Can we replace the F L with something more reliable and heavy-duty? the F L that failed was 4 years old and it failed in the best place in the world under a tree one hour from the pavement with a good flat rally trail. if it was in the sun on a hard trail rock steps in really can be a problem.

Your fusible link failure is an uncommon issue and probably due to some characteristic unique to your set up. Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, I would suggest figuring out a way to relieve all stress from the fusible links.

Thanks for posting this. I think I’ll take a close look at mine to see how they are doing.

I’ve seen many of your photos and I think that the true miracle here is that you found a tree to park beneath.

Good quality circuit breakers are a good replacement for fusible links.
In case of a real problem with a circuit, a fusible link will keep burning up and you will run out of spare ones :)
Using circuit breakers will allow to diagnose and find the culprit.

It is not a cheap solution and it will take some work to mount and wire them correctly.

For example:

(Amp ratings based on this: Fusible Link Hacked - 97 80 Series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fusible-link-hacked-97-80-series.1170718/post-13078709)

Hi all
Thank you IH8MUD for the info and what I learn here from very experienced members that contribute from there time and knowledge. (FAQ is fantastic)
When I got my rig I prepared myself according to the FAQ and got all tools and parts for field service in case of malfunction,,I printed a hard copy of the no-start instructions and loaded the FSM and EWD to the navigation tablet this was 5 years ago.
We stopped for a coffee break under one tree the engine rpm went up and down all dash lights (except the check engine) blinked on and off and the engine died and was cranking but no start. Scenario 3 in the HI8MUD instructions.
I had 2 problems had all tools and parts but could not find the hard copy. and I upgraded my tablet and forgot all about the FSM and EWD.
so we had to drive to the last point we had cell reception got on IH8MUD FAQ and printed the screen and went to the rig dead corps.
One minute later I knew what the problem was and we started to change the fusible link that failed mechanically due to stress and vibrations. I had a spear F L

View attachment 3276755

AND NOW MY QUESTION?
Can we replace the F L with something more reliable and heavy-duty? the F L that failed was 4 years old and it failed in the best place in the world under a tree one hour from the pavement with a good flat rally trail. if it was in the sun on a hard trail rock steps in really can be a problem.
Your fusible link failure is an uncommon issue and probably due to some characteristic unique to your set up. Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, I would suggest figuring out a way to relieve all stress from the fusible links.

Thanks for posting this. I think I’ll take a close look at mine to see how they are doing.

I’ve seen many of your photos and I think that the true miracle here is that you found a tree to park beneath.
Reading the forum it looks like it is common, and on Offroud rig it will be even more common and dangerous
Good quality circuit breakers are a good replacement for fusible links.
In case of a real problem with a circuit, a fusible link will keep burning up and you will run out of spare ones :)
Using circuit breakers will allow to diagnose and find the culprit.

It is not a cheap solution and it will take some work to mount and wire them correctly.

For example:

(Amp ratings based on this: Fusible Link Hacked - 97 80 Series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fusible-link-hacked-97-80-series.1170718/post-13078709)

hi folks ,

Special WELCOME to mr. Desert Dino from afar to :beer:- :)

- when i pipe dreamed up this patiacular KIT FORM problem solver bag off OEM JAPAN. Spec. goodies , i had not considered the above scenario nor was aware it was a common problem as a whole ?

-
it is indeed however all over all the 60 Series ANYTHING platforms ...

- i created this kit form kit to solve one major problem only , the 2 GREY connector Housing MELTING and burning up from what ever causes them to ,. it happens some where along the line or 5%-9% of the time during a MAGOR Fusible links melt down occurs ,

- i have had excellent feedback on it , and knew from the outset it would NOT be a fly off the shelves type KIT of mine , more a slow and steady eddy emergency on-demand thing i could offer up long term staple without any other issues , keeping our beloved Vintage Land Cruisers is my life's passion and Life's work too , and this is exactly a example of just that sweet sweet thing special that can occur once in a while like it will NOW below .....:D

- i will let the TECH> and images and the LINK do the talking from here ,...

- lastly .........

- making a LONGER 90984-08264 is NOT the WAY here :rolleyes:

- THIS IS THE WAY ......

1682847376956.png

1682847413034.png

1682847412818.png

1682847425684.png

90982-000805_2_2048x.jpg

toyota_1fz-fe.jpg

toyota_3f-e.jpg1.png

1682847390853.png

Hi all

View attachment 3276755

AND NOW MY QUESTION?
Solvefunction fusible upgrade

Screenshot_20230430-223533(1).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom