Thank You IH8MUD - I Just Bought A 2006 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the amazing information. I had been looking for a new vehicle for months and after I came across this forum I had to have a Land Cruiser.

IMG_20200219_110030.jpg

I live in Mexico and there are not a lot of Land Cruisers on the market. I traveled to Culiacan to see a beat-up LC, then to Colima where the guy wouldn't negotiate the price, and I just got back from a Monterrey where I finally bought my new Land Cruiser. Reading all of these threads really motivated me to get on a plane when I saw something that I liked. The newbie guide here is unreal and felt educated to ask the right questions.

I just drove 10 hours back to Guadalajara in my new truck and loved every minute of it. There is nothing like a 10-hour drive to get to know your new truck. I found a couple of small issues but I think I got a smoking deal. MX$185,000 (US$9/10K depending on exchange rate) for a 2006 Toyota LC with 170,000 miles, good to very good condition, and a new timing belt!!!

I had to sell my 1985 Toyota pickup because the cost of nationalizing it was prohibitive and my temporary import permits were expired. Plus, I have a kid now and we couldn't all fit in the truck. I sold the 85 for US$8,500 and got the LC for less than $10k. I am over the moon right now. There are some beaches near where I live with world-class waves that you need 4wd to access. My wife was angry that I was flying all over the place to look at trucks saying that I should just buy something locally. I was even looking at 2wd Toyota Hilux pickups that cost more than the LC. That would have been a mistake to say the least.

I grew up with Land Cruisers. My dad has had 6 of them. I learned to drive on an 80 series and I hope my son who is 1 year old right is going to learn how to drive on this truck in 15 years.

IMG_20200220_193452.jpg

I just want to say thank you to everyone on this board. The encouragement, motivation, and research made all the travel worthwhile in the end. I can not wait to go hit the trails! Cheers guys.

Awesome and congrats! Crazy that you got so much for the 85 pickup that you didn’t have to spend much more to get the Cruiser. Your 85 must have been in great shape, though that model year tends to go for more cash than all other 1st and 2nd gen pickups, given its solid front axle and fuel injection.

Congratulations on the new ride! Glad you found what you wanted instead of settling for something else.

Awesome and congrats! Crazy that you got so much for the 85 pickup that you didn’t have to spend much more to get the Cruiser. Your 85 must have been in great shape, though that model year tends to go for more cash than all other 1st and 2nd gen pickups, given its solid front axle and fuel injection.
A friend of mine used to always say, "New paint sells cars". Living in Mexico I can get work done pretty cheap. I order the parts to my parent's house in California and bring them down. Those old trucks are pretty simple to work on and I got to know some good mechanics. The 22-RE engine was rebuilt in 2017, new shocks, and cold AC for my drive home. When I started researching the market I was blown away by the price these trucks were asking. The used car market in the US is kind of going crazy.

I am a little overwhelmed but I am going to make a plan of the modifications I want to do to this truck. The Toyota dealership in Monterrey gave it a clean bill of health. I would like to keep it that way and work on all the preventative stuff.

I am hoping to go camping at my favorite beach in 2 weeks. Let's hope I can get the registration taken care up and have my new licence plates before then.

Are those 17” wheels? Is it a V8 or?
That is correct. 17" wheels (275/65 R17 tires which I believe are stock) and a V8 engine. My 85 pickup could barely do 65 mph going downhill with a tailwind. Passing those big trucks on a two-lane highway is way easier with some more horsepower. So far, I am loving this truck and I haven't even taken it off-road yet. I am itching to get my registration and licence plates in order so I can take a trip to my favourite beach! Cheers

That is correct. 17" wheels (275/65 R17 tires which I believe are stock) and a V8 engine. My 85 pickup could barely do 65 mph going downhill with a tailwind. Passing those big trucks on a two-lane highway is way easier with some more horsepower. So far, I am loving this truck and I haven't even taken it off-road yet. I am itching to get my registration and licence plates in order so I can take a trip to my favourite beach! Cheers

Very cool. 17” wheels are very rare to find on LC’s in the U.S. It’s the best wheel size for tire options, consider yourself lucky!

Pretty great stuff, didn't see a lot of Toyotas in my time in Mexico (different story in Central America) so this looks like a great deal.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the amazing information. I had been looking for a new vehicle for months and after I came across this forum I had to have a Land Cruiser.

View attachment 2217067

I live in Mexico and there are not a lot of Land Cruisers on the market. I traveled to Culiacan to see a beat-up LC, then to Colima where the guy wouldn't negotiate the price, and I just got back from a Monterrey where I finally bought my new Land Cruiser. Reading all of these threads really motivated me to get on a plane when I saw something that I liked. The newbie guide here is unreal and felt educated to ask the right questions.

I just drove 10 hours back to Guadalajara in my new truck and loved every minute of it. There is nothing like a 10-hour drive to get to know your new truck. I found a couple of small issues but I think I got a smoking deal. MX$185,000 (US$9/10K depending on exchange rate) for a 2006 Toyota LC with 170,000 miles, good to very good condition, and a new timing belt!!!

I had to sell my 1985 Toyota pickup because the cost of nationalizing it was prohibitive and my temporary import permits were expired. Plus, I have a kid now and we couldn't all fit in the truck. I sold the 85 for US$8,500 and got the LC for less than $10k. I am over the moon right now. There are some beaches near where I live with world-class waves that you need 4wd to access. My wife was angry that I was flying all over the place to look at trucks saying that I should just buy something locally. I was even looking at 2wd Toyota Hilux pickups that cost more than the LC. That would have been a mistake to say the least.

I grew up with Land Cruisers. My dad has had 6 of them. I learned to drive on an 80 series and I hope my son who is 1 year old right is going to learn how to drive on this truck in 15 years.

View attachment 2217071

I just want to say thank you to everyone on this board. The encouragement, motivation, and research made all the travel worthwhile in the end. I can not wait to go hit the trails! Cheers guys.
Great first post, and enjoyable back story. Welcome!

Hopefully your wife is not angry anymore and she is excited that you found an amazing safe vehicle for your young family. Your dad would be proud of you for keeping the tradition

Last edited:
Congrats on the nice find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom