TFL Old vs New, LC vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw this video last night and was scratching my head quite a bit...
How are you going to call an LC basic and bare bone?
What other reliable off roader exists with butt warmers, power seats, windows, mirrors, nav, sun roof, leather, and on and on in 2008.
Their model has the premium package giving a TV in the back and rear butt warmers... but apparently it's still missing features...?

My takeaway from the video was more TFL pointing out how far the platform has come since 2008. I think they mention initially they planned on comparing LCs but were only able to get ahold of an LX from dealer or Toyota. They seemed to be holding up the 2019 LX as the most modern version of the platform, which might not be wrong.

I thought that you can't install sliders on the LX. Has someone come up with a work around for that?

Slee makes sliders for the LX and has had an LX 570 with 35s, bumpers, and sliders as their shop truck for year. All on the stock AHC.

My takeaway from the video was more TFL pointing out how far the platform has come since 2008. I think they mention initially they planned on comparing LCs but were only able to get ahold of an LX from dealer or Toyota. They seemed to be holding up the 2019 LX as the most modern version of the platform, which might not be wrong.

I watched it last night as well, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could be. The kid is actually a lot more tolerable than any of the other guys on that channel, and he seems to really love the 200. I got the same impression where they were focusing on how much the 200 has been refined over the years, and I agree it feels like a nearly completely different truck from an 08 LC to a 16+ LX. I think the differences are far less dramatic when you compare an 08 LX to 16+ LC though.

I agree that it's not fair to compare a 2008 LC with a new LX but when I bought my '17 LX I was really shopping for a LC. I far preferred the exterior of the LC but it did not feel like an $85k vehicle on the inside, sorry to say but it felt kinda cheap and dated with a lot of plastics and fake wood. While the LX in contrast is not perfect the quality of materials and execution is much better and feels closer to it's price tag.

This is exactly why the people hoping for a stripped down LC being substantially cheaper will be disappointed (and it'll most likely not happen soon in the states). The "bones" of these vehicles are so high quality, robust and ultimately expensive, that even when you remove a bunch of luxury details the price doesn't come down a whole lot.

I do understand some of those asking for stripped trim levels are looking for simplicity.. but to me that has been the biggest lesson of the Land Cruiser brand from the past few decades.. to get a vehicle of the level of quality I want, independent of trim, this is what I'll have to pay.

It's a good compare and contrast. Not a critical critique, so there's no need to be defensive.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that from an interior materials, fit and finish, features, quality standpoint, a Toyota < Lexus. Surely an early LC << than a late generation LX. Lexus has done a great job for sister vehicles, to up fit them with appropriate levels of additional luxury, for the additional price.

It's not for everyone though. Some people actually prefer a more basic finish. Some buyers of the LX, especially coming from an 80-series have commented that it's just too nice. And would feel wrong to subject it to hunting/farming/gardening work. I recall one that asked if it was possible to retrofit and LX with LC interior. That's fair. Yet for those that do want luxury and are more discerning on these aspects, the LX is a very nice place to be.

To @bloc's point. I absolutely agree that a stripper LC would not sell. Look at the late model Jeep's. Cars sell on features. Period. As a used car, one may compromise or want simpler due to repair liability. No way for a new car.

This is exactly why the people hoping for a stripped down LC being substantially cheaper will be disappointed (and it'll most likely not happen soon in the states). The "bones" of these vehicles are so high quality, robust and ultimately expensive, that even when you remove a bunch of luxury details the price doesn't come down a whole lot.

I do understand some of those asking for stripped trim levels are looking for simplicity.. but to me that has been the biggest lesson of the Land Cruiser brand from the past few decades.. to get a vehicle of the level of quality I want, independent of trim, this is what I'll have to pay.

100% agree. The vast majority of the cost of the 200 is the platform and hard parts themselves, not the leather, tv screens, etc which can pretty easily be added to any vehicle.

Yea, Roman is adamant about his bias against the LX, I don't get it.

Roman is not alone in this. The Land Cruiser has the history and is used worldwide and therefore more brand recognition people seem to enjoy. (*edit : also look, sound and feel different) Calling a LX a Land Cruiser is silly just as calling a Land Cruiser a Lexus LX is silly.

Lots of vehicles are similar i.e a GMC Yukon Denali and a Cadillac Escalade. Different strokes for different folks.

Of course this exists in many industries; for example Nike and Converse. Nike owns Converse and there are some Converse products that are identical to Nike but don't make the mistake of calling a pair of Nikes a pair of Chucks.

Last edited:
It shouldn't surprise anyone that from an interior materials, fit and finish, features, quality standpoint, a Toyota < Lexus. Surely an early LC << than a late generation LX. Lexus has done a great job for sister vehicles, to up fit them with appropriate levels of additional luxury, for the additional price.

It's not for everyone though. Some people actually prefer a more basic finish. Some buyers of the LX, especially coming from an 80-series have commented that it's just too nice.

I've read more than a few times, on this board and elsewhere online, that some LC buyers pick that model over the LX -specifically- because it isn't showy. They know it is an $80k+ dollar vehicle that in effect appears to be a highlander. It "hides wealth". Still, for their 80k they get the high level of quality, and while it isn't an LX, it is a pretty damn nice trim level.

I also remember reading that new LandCruiser buyers keep their vehicles longer than any other.. I wonder whether this applies to the LX? (not a dig.. I just assume it doesn't based on used market pricing alone)

So yeah, different strokes. I love my LC and am glad I bought it over a cheaper LX, as I've stated many times previously. I'd likely be perfectly happy with a 08-15 LX if I had gone that way.. but whereas the 16+ LC is basically my attainable-in-a-few-years dream car at this point, 16+ LX and it's poor approach/departure angles isn't even getting considered.

I've read more than a few times, on this board and elsewhere online, that some LC buyers pick that model over the LX -specifically- because it isn't showy. They know it is an $80k+ dollar vehicle that in effect appears to be a highlander. It "hides wealth". Still, for their 80k they get the high level of quality, and while it isn't an LX, it is a pretty damn nice trim level.

I also remember reading that new LandCruiser buyers keep their vehicles longer than any other.. I wonder whether this applies to the LX? (not a dig.. I just assume it doesn't based on used market pricing alone)

So yeah, different strokes. I love my LC and am glad I bought it over a cheaper LX, as I've stated many times previously. I'd likely be perfectly happy with a 08-15 LX if I had gone that way.. but whereas the 16+ LC is basically my attainable-in-a-few-years dream car at this point, 16+ LX and it's poor approach/departure angles isn't even getting considered.

One may prefer one or the other for many reasons. Many personal reasons too. Not to dismiss anything and it's great that we have choices here. Is more better? Only the individual can answer that.

Both are top of the line in their respective lineups and brand "philosophies". Where we are unified, and I think we can agree, is that the 200-series, in whatever guise, is top of the line in its blend of competencies for overlanding and off-roading in the way we individually like to do it.

The Land Cruiser has the history and is used worldwide and therefore more brand recognition people seem to enjoy. (*edit : also look, sound and feel different) Calling a LX a Land Cruiser is silly just as calling a Land Cruiser a Lexus LX is silly.

Lots of vehicles are similar i.e a GMC Yukon Denali and a Cadillac Escalade. Different strokes for different folks.

Of course this exists in many industries; for example Nike and Converse. Nike owns Converse and there are some Converse products that are identical to Nike but don't make the mistake of calling a pair of Nikes a pair of Chucks.

I think your comparisons aren't as they should be. A GMC Yukon Denali shouldn't be compared to a Cadillac Escalade as it is more closely related to and should be compared to a Chevrolet Tahoe in top trim. The Yukon is simply a fancier (both inside and out) Tahoe, they share the same bones and for all intents and purposes are the same vehicle in different dress. Those that typically purchase the GMC do so because of the status or panache that they assume the GMC label embodies as there is no value in terms of performance or reliability between the two. The Cadillac Escalade is also closely related but it is far different and more removed in styling and design than the Yukon is to the Tahoe. The LX and LC are no different. Aside from some styling cues and the AHC, they are the same vehicle, one is simply more showy.

I could care less what Roman thinks honestly because he's a bit of a shill for his own personal biases and likely those of the sponsors of the channel. If it were up to me I would pick the LC every day and twice on Sunday's for the reasons already listed here, the most notable being the better approach angles and availability of aftermarket bumpers. That said, my other half got to pick and she chose the LX most likely because of the interior appointments. At the end of the day we get a fancier LC and in a few years I will be able to modify it beyond the tire upgrade that it is soon to get. Now I just hope that Slee and/or others will release a decent looking 2016+ LX570 front winch bumper before that time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom