Texas 200 Series owners (1 Viewer)

Which month and location works best for you?

• Late April/Early May

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Early November

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hill Country Overland Route/Hidden Falls/Fredericksburg

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Big Bend

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • PINS

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Voted for late April/early May for Hills Country. New to this with factory Dunlops and suspension so taking it easy until I can upgrade. Six months after picking up the vehicle I'm still deciding on suspension... 🤣

This is my life right now. I could easily drop $20-30k to get where i want it so the endless options and deliberations should let me parse that out over the next decade of ownership.

Well I'll be darn (that's the polite version). Floated it by the Mrs. and rather than the hard stop red light (which is what I probably deserve given all my other extra-curricular activities this year already on the books), I got a yellow or maybe a late green light.

She would be interested the trip, she did have interest in Fredericksburg (of course) but not a deal breaker. Also, wanted to confirm there would be some other wives/girlfriends on the trip. Was curious if four legged family members were going as well, not a deal breaker either way.

Few other funny comments which made me laugh, "This isn't going to be drinking fest like with you highschool buddies, is it?" "I am not sharing a tent with strangers."

So we are a tentative yes depending on the details.

Well I'll be darn (that's the polite version). Floated it by the Mrs. and rather than the hard stop red light (which is what I probably deserve given all my other extra-curricular activities this year already on the books), I got a yellow or maybe a late green light.

She would be interested the trip, she did have interest in Fredericksburg (of course) but not a deal breaker. Also, wanted to confirm there would be some other wives/girlfriends on the trip. Was curious if four legged family members were going as well, not a deal breaker either way.

Few other funny comments which made me laugh, "This isn't going to be drinking fest like with you highschool buddies, is it?" "I am not sharing a tent with strangers."

So we are a tentative yes depending on the details.

wife - check. Also has interest in Fredericksburg, if i were in houston id probably have to stop in round top. Lol

Big Bend is best in late February. Crisp nights and great days. If I could convince my wife to attend we would stay at Lajitas Resort.

I'd be up for Hidden Falls but it would need to be at least a week into May, Cruise Moab finishes on the 1st and I still have to get back from there before I can head out again 😂

Hey guys, whats the best way to find accessible service roads / public lands with vehicle use in Texas?

Seems like the only approved routes are in east Texas now? Im having trouble finding what is and isnt allowed and accessible and public.

Sorry if this is a dumb Q but im new to this.

With less than 4% of lands being public in the state you won’t find much beyond the designated roads in parks and forests.

Last edited:
Hey guys, whats the best way to find accessible service roads / public lands with vehicle use in Texas?

Seems like the only approved routes are in east Texas now? Im having trouble finding what is and isnt allowed and accessible and public.

Sorry if this is a dumb Q but im new to this.
I agree with what @Tex68w says. You are either on a trail in a private offroad park or you are on a regular public road in Texas, it is a completely different animal than say the mountain west states. Not exactly ripe for exploration. There are of course a couple of State or National parks but you'll find yourself headed to NM or CO to go explore the National Forests and use your MVUM maps.

The beaches being open is unique and can be interesting.. but it is a far cry from wheeling challenging mountain trails.

When i was in TX, i took my G-wagen to GeneralSams off-road park. It had mudding and some nasty rock ledges to climb. I have not been there in over 10 years…so not sure if it has changed or not. But back then, if you want some challenging obstacles, GeneralSams had it…we had Jeep, FJ, and other SUV meets there…and everyone had fun and found it pretty darn tough.

There is a pretty good park in Gilmer TX.

There is a pretty good park in Gilmer TX.

Been there over 10 years ago……..i think that i had a lot of issues with red clay clogging my tires…turning my tires into glazed donuts! :D

Yep, red clay, Barnwell Mountain, that's the place. Been there a few times back in the day in the Jeep and Bronco and more recently on two wheels sucking wind lol.

This thread got me impatient. I went to hidden falls this past weekend and booked a 5 day weekend at big bend in May. Hope to see y’all out there sometime.
Not from personal experience, but from others… BB can be pretty hard on the tires. Have fun!

New 2017 owner in Plano. Hoping to get out there immediately. Ping me if anyone is keen on rolling next week! Hill Country or Big Bend but open to suggestions.

Barnwell is fun, but the red dirt never came off of my Land Rover undercarriage and not because I didn't try. It has a super high iron content.

I just did 2500+ miles down to West Palm Beach and back to south of Houston to pick up a boat in the RAM. We left Sunday morning where I paid $3.39/gal for diesel locally and I was paying as high as $5.35/gal on the way back today with the average sitting around $5.09/gal. That's absolute insanity and it left me coming back very cynical and a little heated about our current political landscape. I missed the comfort and quietness of the Cruiser on this trip but I averaged 15.9 mpg in a one-ton diesel on 37's towing a boat on the way back at speeds between 65 and 75 mph. Considering the distance, speeds, and circumstances I was quite pleased. Needless to say, I'll have the truck parked for a few weeks as I am sick of it at the moment and in hopes of the fuel prices coming back down some but I don't have much faith in the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom