Tetanus Express - 1973 FJ40 Resto/Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, Mud family!

My name is Karl, I am in the Charlotte metro area of North Carolina. I recently purchased my first Land Cruiser, a 1973 FJ40, that needs a ton of work. I also have a 2014 4Runner and a 2007 FJ Cruiser, so this build will probably be on the slow side. I purchased this truck around Fathers Day and haven't done much with it since. I have been buying up parts lots that I come across on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist in an attempt to acquire parts I may be missing. My plan is to strip it down to the frame and rebuild it from that point.

I figure wire brush and seal the frame, then work on the suspension and axles, followed by the engine/transmission/transfer case, then body work. Any pointers, suggestions, or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for following along!

IMG_3596 copy.jpg

Love the Patrol! Something to drive while working on the 40

I sure wouldn’t waste the time wire brushing the frame, sandblasting is far superior at removing rust and crud. Plus sandblasted metal grabs paint much better than wire brushed metal. I’d follow the sandblasting with a direct to metal epoxy primer.

Welcome!

You're doing it right, a warm welcome, you have some good details about your rig and added pics right away.

Now for our official welcome salute

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

That is not the standard Patrol that made it's way to the US that's a mid wheel base.

I'm not sure about the Patrol, the guy I bought the 40 from imported it from Columbia. He has that one and a white one that he is selling, I know the orange one he was asking $24k for, and the white one was in the shop for some electrical work when I was picking up the 40.

I sure wouldn’t waste the time wire brushing the frame, sandblasting is far superior at removing rust and crud. Plus sandblasted metal grabs paint much better than wire brushed metal. I’d follow the sandblasting with a direct to metal epoxy primer.
Good to know! Guess I need to go invest in a sandblaster, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom