Testing The Waters: 3D Printed OEM Radio Face Plates, Knobs and a Radio Hole Block Off Plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello MUD,

We have taken an OEM radio face plate and OEM radio knobs and had them digitized in an effort to 3D print replacements at an affordable price.

The original discussions were in this thread: Wanted - Fj60 radio faceplate (or a close fit)

I've recently teamed up with @85FJ60SD as he has access to some better equipment and arguably more free time (for now!).

Here are the digitized models:

e0i4rui.png

4GGKuQW.png

xHUWMkF.png

uRc4eEK.png

YIgOCX2.png

We also went ahead and digitized the inclometer knobs:

xwSe9t6.png

Lastly, for those of you without an OEM radio and a gaping hole in your dashboard, also likely missing the stock mounting brackets, here's a potential solution:

SycxzVw.png

We tried a few preliminary sets and they need a bit of fine tuning but over all the knobs looked great and could be fitted with some fine filing and light force.

x0SN478.jpg

Unfortunately the face plates (even when printed on a base) are warping so I don't have a prototype version of it yet.

The block off plate/brackets have not been prototyped either, we're trying to find a material that is cost effective and looks OK. At this point we're leaning towards aluminum.

The point of this thread is to gauge your interest and to see if its worth pursuing further. We basically have (3) questions to ask.

1. Can you use these?

2. Would you use these?

3. What would you pay for them?

Thanks!

-Ian & Victor

With functioning original radios being a rarity, I don't know how many people you're going to have interested (maybe check the 40s section too). If these knobs can be used with one of the retro sound models (RetroSound. Modern Sound for Your Classic.) I think you'd have a winner (for me at least). As it is, I have a modern sony deck in my 60, but would be interested in getting something more period correct looking if I don't lose too much function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom