test drove an hdj81 today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
saw it parked on a lot in town here and could not resist. A 1990 JDM truck with 138,000km. turbo 4.2l hdt 5 speed. no third row kit. Curtains :D rancho 9000 lift of at least as much as my ome medium on 285s.

well on first impressions it is a cool truck but I much prefer my 93 as a DD in town. this is a vehicle for someone who lives in the country.

i would never own one of these in the city. first gear is about the shortest i've ever driven and even during the testdrive I was trying rolling second gear starts to avoid it. i also never got close to using 5th gear even on a 2 km straight city stretch with no traffic lights. the clutch throw is long and jerky and acceleration is noisy like a big heavy truck.

the turbo is very nice when it hits and it is probably faster than my 80 from 20 to 50mph which is as fast as i could go where i was driving. at 50mph it felt like it had plenty left before 5th gear time.

the motor is incredibly smooth and quiet at idle. Quieter than my 1fz i would think. However, under medium to hard acceleration it sounds exactly like an old english double decker bus. very smooth and quiet once you settle down to a cruising speed though.

the RHD was no issue at all. maybe because i am so familiar with the dimensions or something but i think i was adapted within a block. The only lingering problem is reaching for the wrong stalk to indicate.

this was a condition 4 rated import from japan. The japanese auction dealers use a 5 point rating system and this was one tier down from is perfect. my advice is never buy a condition 4 truck withoiut inspoecting. the paint was in great shape and the exterior and undercarriage were generally justifying a 4 but the interior reeked of igarette smoke and the interior seats and trim condition I would rate as only average (headliner was filthy). it has chrome centreline mags with some chunks out of them that would have made be mad if i'd bought it unseen. several unsightly bolt holes inside from mods removed by the seller (he did leave a turbo timer and crappy boost gauge behind). altimeter and compass no worky.

also beware of japanese mods. the wood steering wheel is hideous and has some random english phrase in the centre that would make me nuts.

two interesting features on it are nice fender flares that look factory but are wider than on my 93 and a factory power outlet in the motor bay right behind the battery. I would love to find out more about how to get that one.

here is the photo from the online ad.

two interesting features on it are nice fender flares that look factory but are wider than on my 93 and a factory power outlet in the motor bay right behind the battery. I would love to find out more about how to get that one.

The power outlet has three screws for attaching wires using a crimped eyelets.
Each is seperately fused 1 to battery 1 to acc and 1 to ignition.
We get them as stock items

edited to add..er delete..: i dont know what im talking about. sorry for anyone who had to read that.

Yeah I emailed the guy about that one... don't think I'd get it but its tempting to go take it for a burn. Here are some more pics he emailed me:

ca310077.jpg

DSC01153Medium.jpg

DSC01144Medium.jpg

Edit: I think the people in the international forum would be more appreciative of this post

Last edited:
yup the photo of the underneath does not do it justice. it is spotless. the body was too until the guy tried to start it while it was reverse without the clutch in and dragged the door back along a brick wall :rolleyes: you can see the wide flares in your photos

interesting the first photo you posted is from japan. that's a mitsubishi building in the background

Cool rig I saw 3 of thaese guys in the rail compond I work for and was drooling they were all diesal cool .. We sould start seeing more and more... as the years go on come in to the country ..

FYI-
The auction system in Japan consists of numerous different "auction groups" they ALL have DIFFERENT RATING SYSTEMS
AFAIK all ratings go up to "10" ,with older cars (more that 15 years old) the highest I've seen is 4.5.
Also the Numbers usually read something like 3.5(B) The "b" being the interior "condition"
Very important to keep in mind that almost all auction halls do not have to take responsibility for the correct grading of cars over 7 years old,They specifically state this.
However, in 3 years I have only experienced 2 poor (inaccurate) gradings.
Also, it is not illegal to roll back odometers in Japan.
I aways suggest that a person buying a vehicle get a compression test and a thorough inspection done by someone that is personally trusted.

HJ61DOTCOM said:
Also, it is not illegal to roll back odometers in Japan.

Are you sure about that?
But what do I know? :D

I haven't seen it in writing, but I know legit shops/dealers would never do that in fear of losing license or customers. I'm sure people still do it though from time to time.

Mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom