Terrorist attacks in London, just heard about them on the radio...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Can't seem to find much specific information on the web. Seems they attacked buses and the rail system. Reports range from 6-9 blasts. Anybody got anymore info?

Ary

2. OZCAL

OZCAL

Lines must be down or clogged in London. Can't get through to mobiles or landlines for an hour now.

3. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

OZCAL, just saw in another post that your wife was in London recently. Hopefully she is ok, assuming she still is. My thoughts are with you.

Ary

4. brian

brian SILVER Star

guy here in the shop was saying something about them, i've heard nothing.....yet.

5. OZCAL

OZCAL

Thanks Ary - I'll report back when I hear from her.

Can any UK guys who know London tell me whether the Slough district or Kensington High Street, (Royal Garden Hotel) or any streets between those areas were targeted? (As if you don't have enough s--t to worry about right now.)

6. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

From Yahoo.com....hope this helps...

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London. Dow Jones Newswires reported that police said there were explosions on two other buses.

and....

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

7. OZCAL

OZCAL

Just talked to my wife. She's in Slough today, out of the city, but has to go back in to check out of her hotel this evening and then go to Heathrow to catch a flight to Brisbane. Some of the stuff flying around the airwaves there include references to six separate explosions and two terrorists shot. Of course all kinds of wild stories circulate at times like this.

This is terrible stuff. I understand there are no trash cans on the street in London to deter bombings.

David

EDIT - I'm buying a satellite phone.

8. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Good to hear about your wife....

Just watched Blair speak with the rest of the G8 Summit leaders standing behind him....this is all too familer.

9. Gold Finger

Gold Finger

This morning after I heard of the blasts there was an initial thirst for information so as to form a picture in ones mind but as time went on a deep seated concern for all those in London and other major Cities throughout the UK. I then remembered that my brother often works in London without notice and so I e-mailed him for confirmation of his security. His reply and summery of what conditions may be like for those on the ground are,

Aldgate is at the end of Commercial road (The way to east London, Blackwall and Dartford tunnels). It's the eastern end of the so called City!
    Petticoat lane and the area frequented by jack the ripper is around Aldgate to the east of Liverpool St. station. It;s in the clothing area and of course there is a mosque that sounds there! Many immigrants work in the clothing industry and this is the start of the poorer parts of east London.

London is very brittle. Any problem even a breakdown on one of the bridges brings London to a standstill. Grid locking is almost normal. The underground is very unreliable. Many medium term visitors to London refuse to use the underground because it regularly breaks down with people stuck on the trains. London commuters are used to this. They will all be miserable but people will stay in their offices overnight or work from home. Many will walk (Gillingham is 30 miles from London but most commuters live within a 20 mile radius and many workers commute in on Monday and out on Friday staying in local hotels and guest houses in the week). The peak hours in London are from about 6:30 to 10:00 and 16:30 to about 18:30. Most of the travel problems at this moment is people traveling between venues for meetings or delivery people. Tourist will be the worst hit as they have no back up and are in an alien city.

Rest assured London is used to this - they have emergency plans and most of the system will be back on line quickly.

Thanks for your concern

At the present up to six bombs and possibly seven bombs have reputedly exploded but figures change all the time, numbers injured have not been confirmed but it is known that there have been some deaths and many serious casualties. The entire underground system has closed down as there where explosions on trains and at least one double Decker bus, one can clearly be seen with its entire roof structure blown away. It has been reported that only the most serious and life threatening injuries are being evacuated to hospitals initially this and I can report that cameras outside one central London hospital showed harrowing seens of life support being given to one patient. The main problem on the ground for the emergency services is the grid lock which is making evacuation protracted and to speed things up some double Decker buses have been commandeered to take casualties to dedicated hospitals. The emergency services are well prepared over here for mass incidents and they are well trained after years in the recent past of terrorism from the IRA.

10. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

They're interviewing a guy with his face all cut up and he's calm as hell. :confused: Takes a lot to upset a brit I guess. I'd be a basketcase, having a bus blow up around me.

11. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    well, with the ban on dentists, guns, and eatable food, there is not much to live for over there.

12. OZCAL

OZCAL

Gold Finger I understand there are a lot of traffic cameras in London. Any indication the perpetrators were caught on film?

13. LukeO

LukeO

Only a matter of time before it happens again here.

14. Gold Finger

Gold Finger

I should imagine that forensics will go over everything including CCTV it may well be that a trace will be made by the security services here and the US. Some uncorroborated information has suggested the Arab terrorist network.

I should imagine that lines into the UK and especially the London area will be very busy right now I have tried unsuccessfully to get onto the BBC web site and the Guardian News Paper without success but OZCAL if you are very concerned about hearing from your wife if you PM me perhaps I could try on your behalf if I have the no and names etc I could give it a try .

15. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

My guess is that the terrorists would have set off a bomb in no matter what city the Olympics were awareded to.

It certainly sucked getting on the subway here this morning.

16. swank60

swank60

Have you heard anything from the mum-in-law? She does live in London, right?

17. flintknapper

flintknapper

To my friends in the UK.

Been watching this on the news this morning. I am amazed at how calm and in control the British people are. I am sorry for the loss of life, the injuries sustained, and the senseless attack on your countrymen.

I am proud of the British resolve.. and confident that things will be put back in order, post haste.

Thank you, for the support of your troops in OUR effort to combat terrorism.

We may not always see "eye to eye" on all matters, but I stand by you now, and I pray that those responsible will be brought to justice.

Chin Up brothers!

18. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

Thanks, yeah we spoke to her this morning. She actually lives in Newcastle, so she's fine. Thanks for asking.

19. e rock

e rock

I'm stuck at work with no tv and all the news websites seem to be clogged with traffic...

Picture of the bus:
    [​IMG]

Better one:
    [​IMG]

20. e rock

e rock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.