Terrible Vibration at +50MPH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

twalker9480

SILVER Star
Threads
To start out, I know this topic already has threads but I've read dozens and none seem to really have a conclusion.

So I've had my 1994 fzj80 for about 2 months now and I don't remember this when I drive it home. Any time I am on the gas pedal above about 50mph my truck shakes and vibrates really bad, to the extent that it is hard to have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat. It even shock my subwoofer out of connection. I have already removed, examined and lubricated the ujoints and that dosnt seem to be the problem. I'd really like your guys opinions. Thanks for any input you have

I had a bad shake once and it was from the e-brake partially sticking on one side. I couldn't believe how much chaos that caused.

A vibration bad enough to disconnect the subwoofer and make conversation nearly impossible would hopefully be a tire that's out of balance or becoming separated.
Is it the front or rear? How quickly does it smooth out once you decelerate?

A vibration bad enough to disconnect the subwoofer and make conversation nearly impossible would hopefully be a tire that's out of balance or becoming separated.

Once I take my foot of the gas is pretty much instantly gone.

It also seems to be coming from the front end.

You could rotate the tires front to back in order to rule out tires or just take it to a shop for balancing and inspection.
If you have installed a center differential lock switch on the dash you can remove the front drive line and lock the center diff with the switch so you can drive it over 50 in rear wheel drive only.
Sometimes these mysteries take a good deal of trouble shooting to figure out.
FYI, the center diff lock switch is affordable and easy to install because the wiring is already behind the dash.

You could rotate the tires front to back in order to rule out tires or just take it to a shop for balancing and inspection.
If you have installed a center differential lock switch on the dash you can remove the front drive line and lock the center diff with the switch so you can drive it over 50 in rear wheel drive only.
Sometimes these mysteries take a good deal of trouble shooting to figure out.
FYI, the center diff lock switch is affordable and easy to install because the wiring is already behind the dash.
Thank you, I'll try those suggestions and get back to you

What is the frequency of the "vibration"? Is it a "buzz" or a thump, thump, thump?
Tire balance would be a thump, thump, thump.
Driveline would be a buzz as it's 4x tire rotational speed.

at least it doesn't sound like death wobble (yet) be grateful for that :)

Could be the seam on the exhaust muffler has split and is vibrating . ask me how I know, I thought I was in big trouble on the highway when it seperated, I thought the cruiser transmission or differential was coming apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom