Terrain Tamer vs HDK Birfields? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to rebuild the axle on my FJ80 SOON! I’m ordering the parts this week. I can get the terrain Tamer’s from cruiser brothers for $500 pair, the HDK ones from partsouq for about $200 pair shipping included, and the Japanese made replacement from cruiserteq for $330 pair shipping included.

Truck isn’t running big tires, but I want this rebuild to last for a while, and I may lift and put on bigger tires, 33 or 35slater this year (I just bought the truck and it’s a fixer-upper).

Which cv do the pros recommend for the value? Any other suggestions?
thanks 🤙🏼

I need to rebuild the axle on my FJ80 SOON! I’m ordering the parts this week. I can get the terrain Tamer’s from cruiser brothers for $500 pair, the HDK ones from partsouq for about $200 pair shipping included, and the Japanese made replacement from cruiserteq for $330 pair shipping included.

Truck isn’t running big tires, but I want this rebuild to last for a while, and I may lift and put on bigger tires, 33 or 35slater this year (I just bought the truck and it’s a fixer-upper).

Which cv do the pros recommend for the value? Any other suggestions?
thanks 🤙🏼
I have used the cruiser teq rebuild kit with koyo bearings and it is a great kit everything you need. Why would it be so much there kits are under 150$ And do the front axle both sides?

I have used the cruiser teq rebuild kit with koyo bearings and it is a great kit everything you need. Why would it be so much there kits are under 150$ And do the front axle both sides?
Have to the do the birfields, they cost $155/each plus shipping. I’ll be getting the knuckle kit from cruiser brothers, out of stock everywhere else

Have to the do the birfields, they cost $155/each plus shipping. I’ll be getting the knuckle kit from cruiser brothers, out of stock everywhere else
They need replaced? 🤔, how do you know that?

PO told me they needed to be, they click loud and catch like crazy when turning
PO told me they needed to be, they click loud and catch like crazy when turning
Mine clicked also after the rebuild that went away. I’m not saying you don’t need new birfields, have you read up on them on here? There is a lot of info and maybe you can determine if you do or do not. I’m just thinking I would want to keep my 300 plus dollars if I could.

Mine clicked also after the rebuild that went away. I’m not saying you don’t need new birfields, have you read up on them on here? There is a lot of info and maybe you can determine if you do or do not. I’m just thinking I would want to keep my 300 plus dollars if I could.
Is it possible they’re fine, just not properly lubricated because the knuckle seals are shot?

Is it possible they’re fine, just not properly lubricated because the knuckle seals are shot?
Definitely. You could add a tube of grease in each one and see if the clicking goes away before you rebuild. Maybe some of the veterans on here will
Chime in.

Hey thank you! What grease do I use to refill the knuckles?
The clicking is BAD but given the inch of grease and road grime on everything they’re probably dry inside

Hey thank you! What grease do I use to refill the knuckles?
The clicking is BAD but given the inch of grease and road grime on everything they’re probably dry inside
I use valovoline moly multi purpose grease, since you are rebuilding just use whatever cheep moly grease you can get.

The birfs were clicking pretty bad on my 80 after 250,000 miles. They quieted down after the first rebuild but became worse over time. On the 2nd rebuild I replaced them and went with Nitro gear. Good price and good quality with no issues after 2 year's.

Back to the question, as I have the same one…

“I need to rebuild the axle on my FJ80 SOON! I’m ordering the parts this week. I can get the terrain Tamer’s from cruiser brothers for $500 pair, the HDK ones from partsouq for about $200 pair shipping included, and the Japanese made replacement from cruiserteq for $330 pair shipping included.”

Cruiser Teq has a couple of options, one listed here. Not looking to buy junk, but we’re talking an effectively stock FJ80 with 32’s, and daily driver plus overland (no hard wheeling/crawling) for primary duty.

For all of the birf threads out there, not a lot of “what’s what” on the available market. Thoughts on viable replacements?

“I need to rebuild the axle on my FJ80 SOON! I’m ordering the parts this week. I can get the terrain Tamer’s from cruiser brothers for $500 pair, the HDK ones from partsouq for about $200 pair shipping included, and the Japanese made replacement from cruiserteq for $330 pair shipping included.”

Cruiser Teq has a couple of options, one listed here. Not looking to buy junk, but we’re talking an effectively stock FJ80 with 32’s, and daily driver plus overland (no hard wheeling/crawling) for primary duty.

For all of the birf threads out there, not a lot of “what’s what” on the available market. Thoughts on viable replacements?
How many miles on the truck? Swapping the birfs to the opposite side with a fresh knuckle rebuild and a good packing of new grease may take care of the clicking issue.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to run anything @cruiseroutfit sells. Terrain Tamer stuff gets good reviews. I wouldn't hesitate to run those either.

Be sure that the VC isn't bad/frozen- that's what was doing it to mine- felt close to having CD locked and the sharper the turn the worse it was. If VC is bad pull it.

I had the cruiserteq standard replacement birfs on my last 80. I really don’t have any complaints about them. They’re a high quality replacement birfield for a solid price. Buy them and be happy

I have the CruiserTeq Japanese (as shown on post #20 below) birf on one side and will be doing the other one this year, I'm thinking. This is the original birf with 280k miles and a part time conversion, so it doesn't spin much. Been on one wheeling trip with lots of 4low action, no complaints.

Since I am part time, I used a birf for a pre-ABS year and it fit nicely with the Aisin lock out hubs. This birf is missing the ABS tone ring as well.

Last edited:
My VC was seized, yanked it and swapped sides with the birfs when I did my axle... smooth sailing.

Many thanks, all. @thatcabledude the truck has 250k on it, and by external view now terribly well maintained. Fluids have all been surprisingly good, but most everything else in the front end is scary looking if it involves grease Or maintenance beyond fluids.

The front end has a mild but disconcerting whine unless you let completely off of the accelerator, I’m scared to guess how long it’s been since a brake job, the knuckles are bone dry, etc. I really don’t want to tear this down twice in short order, so based on what I’m seeing and hearing it seems like the smart thing to do is just bite the $1,000 bullet in parts and make the front end great again. No? (Well, add another couple of hundred for front brake job.)

On the viscous coupler discussions - isn’t that an FZJ thing? I may have more reading to do…

@Squeegee by standard do you mean the non Japanese ones?

Last edited:
Many thanks, all. @thatcabledude the truck has 250k on it, and by external view now terribly well maintained. Fluids have all been surprisingly good, but most everything else in the front end is scary looking if it involves grease Or maintenance beyond fluids.

The front end has a mild but disconcerting whine unless you let completely off of the accelerator, I’m scared to guess how long it’s been since a brake job, the knuckles are bone dry, etc. I really don’t want to tear this down twice in short order, so based on what I’m seeing and hearing it seems like the smart thing to do is just bite the $1,000 bullet in parts and make the front end great again. No? (Well, add another couple of hundred for front brake job.)

On the viscous coupler discussions - isn’t that an FZJ thing? I may have more reading to do…

@Squeegee by standard do you mean the non Japanese ones
Their standard duty ones are made in Japan, it’s their brand. I think they just call it that to separate it from the heavy duty chromoly nitro ones.

DD1377F7-1B59-4483-9AAC-F7FA016EA216.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom