tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm Going on a camping/road/expo trip this summer that will last about a month and a half. I will camping (sleeping in the cruiser in bear country...) the whole time. I dont have a tent that is worth much of anything right now and was wondering what some of you might recomend. weight isnt too much of an issue as i wont be packing with it too much. I need eiter 2 or 3 person capacity. Need a rainfly and would like the rainfly to have a vestiblue where i could store gear. Thanks for the help.

I love my MSR Fusion 3 (not made anymore). MSR tents aren't the cheapest, but the quality and durability are a big plus. They also put a lot of thought into the little details (field repairable zippers and poles, reflective zipper pulls/guylines/flys, extra reinforcement in certain areas). Their lightweight line of tents is also very nice (Hubba series).

Check out Spingbar tents. They are made of canvas, so they are quite heavy but are extermely durable, water proof and comfortable. Extremely good build quality as well.
There is a thred in this forum comparing Springbar and Kodiak tents. Check em' out.

Let you walet guide you. Tents can get out of control expensive quick.
I owe a Marmot Swallow (2 person Freaking Bomb shelter~400ish), MSR Hubba (1person supper light ~200) and the REI Half Dome (2 person ??$).

The Marmot is freaking bullet proof. It's 4-5 yrs old now, but damn thing has withstood some sick rain, wind and snow. It was a gift from an ex-gf. I can;t afford things this nice.

MSR is the "hardcore" arm of REI. The Hubba a wicked light and pretty spacious for a one person.

THe Rei Half dome is a great not very expensive 2 person tent has been my car camping and summer tent for a long time. Great ventilation. Good sized vestibule and $169. it's small enough to take backpacking and light enough tto carry anywhere. I'm a pretty big fan of this really versitle tent.
here is the link: REI Half Dome 2 HC Tent at REI.com

There are a bunch of great products out there. good luck

patrick

This is the one I'm planning to get after looking at them all for over a year

I like the dual vestibules and doors since I usually go to bed after she does and no crawling over anyone.

Gunnison

They are pricey but, you will only need one for the rest of your camping days Mountain Hardware. I live by their products. Black Diamond makes a nice tent as well. I think the key to buying a tent is keeping it real, by that I mean you don't need a tent worthy of an episode on MTV cribs. Different vendors offer tents that can hold a entire football team. IMO If I was to buy a new tent the key factors I would look at is easy set up, good rain fly, strong seams, and a heavy duty zipper. Nothing suxs more that loosing a tooth on your zipper. Just my 2 Cents

What, nobody has mentioned Sierra Design? One of the first companies to use clips insteada tent pole sleeves, good value for the money. Don't remember the name of my tent but I do like the option of using only the footprint & rainfly when they ain't any bugs out...

Cabela's Alaska Guide Tent

Try the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent. It comes in several sizes and several vestibule configurations are available. I have owned one for 12 years. We use it about a month out of the year in all kinds of weather. I believe it is the best tent out there for the money if weight is not a factor. I like the fact that I can stand inside the 6 person model. It is great with the kids on rainny days or for playing cards when the weather turns sour.

Try the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent. It comes in several sizes and several vestibule configurations are available. I have owned one for 12 years. We use it about a month out of the year in all kinds of weather. I believe it is the best tent out there for the money if weight is not a factor. I like the fact that I can stand inside the 6 person model. It is great with the kids on rainny days or for playing cards when the weather turns sour.

This is the tent to get. It's perfect for your needs and it's the only tent I've been in that is truly dry in a real rain.

I have the 4 man and it's roomy and dry.

Inexpensive for what it is, too.

I like Springbar - US made as well. What ever you get ... if you are not "packing" it on your back - look for one with sufficient height to stand up in. Makes dressing a lot easier and allows places to hang/dry clothes. After Springbar I would be looking for a "teepee" style to get the height - like the military arctic 5 man tents...my 2cents

Thanks for all the replies i'm definately looking into them. Cabelas guide series is looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom