tent trailer canvas patching? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
In Moab now, last night a tree decided to come down on my new tent trailer, the canvas is (was) in such nice shape too. It has long rips in several places, can these be patched? I really don't care about the way it loooks as long as it can be patched and it will be waterproof. Bows are bent but I can have on remade by a friend that owns a metal shop or buy a new one. Thanks,

Noah

I would contact a local boat yard...they always seem to have a canopy shop located in them somewhere or very near.

A shop like that will have a large sewing machine, and I'm sure a very resonable priced remnant to make the repair.

good luck, Pat

I have had sucessful repairs done but you will need to remove canvas from the trailer for sowing.Some are stapled to trailer some use sail track you just have to check.While you have the tent off think about any other mods you need doing with the tent eg gear/clothes/book pockets sown on inside.

If your canvas is REAL canvas, you can repair it easily in the following fashin:

1. Cut a piece of canvas from a real canvas duck tarp or similar. The patch obviously needs to be larger than the hole/tear. I also prefer rounded corners.
  2. Purchase some Tear Mender or similar product for patching canvas. I got mine at the local Factory Army Surplus.
  3. Apply the tear mender to the patch and the material to be patched covering liberally. I use nitrile gloves as this stuf is messy.
  4. It fully cures in <30 minutes.
I've used this procedure on all four of my bunkend corners and the result is bulletproof.

Good luck!
:cheers:
Nick

In Napa we have a Canvas awning place which can repair and replace torn or worn canvas tops. I am sure you have some there as well. btw, the place hear started from being a sail repair shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom