Tent recommendation, that’s not a RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a small child and are trying to figure out the best options.. either a ground tent, either attached or detached from the rig. I am thinking some kind of canvas, large setup where we can fit a queen mattress and a small pen for the kid. Being able to stand up at 6’3 would be awesome. price isn’t a primary concern. Thanks!

Check out the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 VX model. It is heavy, but is easy to setup. They also make a 10x10. I also like my REI Base Camp 6. I am 6' and I can stand in both of these, but the Kodiak is bigger and roomier. The way we normally camp is set a big base camp and explore an area so a stand alone tent works for us. If you only stay 1 night and move on maybe an attached tent would work better.

I have an OZ tent RV4, totally love it after a couple years of regular use. If you don't mind the packed size something like an RV5 would probably be a good option.

Kodiak 10X14. All the size you'll need for small family, easy set up, and robust. If you decide on Kodiak, be sure to get the VX with the side windows for So.Cal weather.

Check out the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 VX model. It is heavy, but is easy to setup. They also make a 10x10. I also like my REI Base Camp 6. I am 6' and I can stand in both of these, but the Kodiak is bigger and roomier. The way we normally camp is set a big base camp and explore an area so a stand alone tent works for us. If you only stay 1 night and move on maybe an attached tent would work better.
I had an REI Base Camp 4 for about 13 years, until the fly disintegrated last year in storage. I loved that tent and never had a single issue with it, so I wouldn't hesitate to get the 6 if I needed a bigger tent again.

I have a Gazelle tent now, the smaller one, but only have a couple of nights in it so far, so I can't really review it that well.

We have a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6. We are 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 11). It is plenty big enough. Not sure about 6'3" but I'm 5'10" and can stand in the center without any problems. That model might not be ideal for your needs but check out BA anyhow. They have all types of tents (weight, size, style) to fulfill your needs. I'm not a spokesman but very impressed with their product.

Our club president (@Tony_Farson ) just recently got a Gazelle Tent and has been raving about it. Not sure what your price point is or if there are size/weight requirements but until I got my dad's old canvas tent I was looking at the Kodiak Tents.

Other more standard nylon tents are a dime a dozen and all comes down to your requirements.

We really like the idea of the gazelles. Can’t decide on the 4 plus or the 8.. we will be using a raised blowup mattress and a pack n play for the baby. Will probably end up with one of those, price and size are decent. Won’t be tent camping with baby if weather is bad

We have the 4 for the two of us. We use Teton Adventurer XL cots and oversized sleeping bags and still have about three feet between the cots for a small table to play cards on or use as an end table. They are HUGE! They are also HEAVY and LONG. 94"x 94"x78" for the T4, the T4 Plus is twice as long! I haven't looked at the T8. But collapsed our T4 is about 8" wide x 8" deep, and 64" long and it weights 40lbs.

All that said, from the bag closed I can have the tent up in about 30 seconds and broken down and into the bag in about 60 seconds. Storage of the huge monster is the only real challenge if you have a smaller rig full of other gear, kids, dogs, etc.

My only gripe is that the fabric doesn't seem to be as strong as I'd like and I don't see it lasting for more than 5 years of "regular" use. One of the bag handles started to pull away from the bag, and one of the door ties pulled tight off. I hear this is a common complaint, so hopefully they'll address it if they haven't already.

_DSC2360.jpg

We have the 4 for the two of us. We use Teton Adventurer XL cots and oversized sleeping bags and still have about three feet between the cots for a small table to play cards on or use as an end table. They are HUGE! They are also HEAVY and LONG. 94"x 94"x78" for the T4, the T4 Plus is twice as long! I haven't looked at the T8. But collapsed our T4 is about 8" wide x 8" deep, and 64" long and it weights 40lbs.

All that said, from the bag closed I can have the tent up in about 30 seconds and broken down and into the bag in about 60 seconds. Storage of the huge monster is the only real challenge if you have a smaller rig full of other gear, kids, dogs, etc.

My only gripe is that the fabric doesn't seem to be as strong as I'd like and I don't see it lasting for more than 5 years of "regular" use. One of the bag handles started to pull away from the bag, and one of the door ties pulled tight off. I hear this is a common complaint, so hopefully they'll address it if they haven't already.

View attachment 2382296
How are the cots with the floor? I've never owned a cot but have slept on some before while camping and though this would be good for me in my Gazelle. Just wasn't sure if the feet might punch thru the fabric floor.

The speed of setup and teardown on the Gazelle is so great. I have the smaller T-3 and it fits sideways in my 4Runner on the back seat or floor with no problem. I would have gotten the T-4 if it wasn't so long when packed up and I didn't want to carry it on the roof rack.

How are the cots with the floor? I've never owned a cot but have slept on some before while camping and though this would be good for me in my Gazelle. Just wasn't sure if the feet might punch thru the fabric floor.

The speed of setup and teardown on the Gazelle is so great. I have the smaller T-3 and it fits sideways in my 4Runner on the back seat or floor with no problem. I would have gotten the T-4 if it wasn't so long when packed up and I didn't want to carry it on the roof rack.
See this is where I love having a canvas tent. The tent we currently use is my dad's that he bought in Australian when they lived there in 1973. Still going strong today. I remember growing up going camping in it from some of my first memories until I was about 14/15. Then it sat in the shed at my parents house (muggy central california) until about 5 yrs ago when the wife and I had gone through yet another coleman tent (costco specials). I had started looking at the Kodiaks when I told my dad about it and he said "I think I still have the old tent if you want it."

Low and behold she was still in decent shape. After the first year we had to replace the floor as it was just starting to rot and one zipper. But we use it with the wife and I and our three dogs (all over 60lbs each).
Fizzy Canvas Tent by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

This thing is 9x14 and at the peak about 7' tall with ends being just about 6' tall. She has served my family well and continues to do so. If you can swing it I would say get a Kodiak, check them out atleast as they are supposed to go up and down rather quickly (not Gazelle fast) but taken care of they will last for a very long time.

Seems fine. We use a thick tarp as a footprint under the tent too sometimes which will help if you're worried about damaging the floor. One of our members gave me the idea of cutting 4x4 plywood squares to put under the feet to spread out the load and help level the cots. I'll be following his lead on that one for sure. Brilliant!

We used to the use the Coleman Deluxe cots but while they're super comfy, they were too bulky. So we just switched to these Teton Adventurer cots and use the Coleman pads from the old cots to provide extra cushion.

Amazon product ASIN B01GLGRWLQ
The pivot arm is a game changer for setting up the final crossbars.

See this is where I love having a canvas tent. The tent we currently use is my dad's that he bought in Australian when they lived there in 1973. Still going strong today. I remember growing up going camping in it from some of my first memories until I was about 14/15. Then it sat in the shed at my parents house (muggy central california) until about 5 yrs ago when the wife and I had gone through yet another coleman tent (costco specials). I had started looking at the Kodiaks when I told my dad about it and he said "I think I still have the old tent if you want it."

Low and behold she was still in decent shape. After the first year we had to replace the floor as it was just starting to rot and one zipper. But we use it with the wife and I and our three dogs (all over 60lbs each).
Fizzy Canvas Tent by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

This thing is 9x14 and at the peak about 7' tall with ends being just about 6' tall. She has served my family well and continues to do so. If you can swing it I would say get a Kodiak, check them out atleast as they are supposed to go up and down rather quickly (not Gazelle fast) but taken care of they will last for a very long time.

Love the tassels! Are they functional? ;) :rofl:

I'd get a canvas tent with a wood burning stove in a heartbeat if I thought I'd use it for long enough periods of time to justify the expense and the time it takes to set one up. They're awesome for winter camping for sure, but not something I'd bother with unless I was staying a week or more in one place.

Seems fine. We use a thick tarp as a footprint under the tent too sometimes which will help if you're worried about damaging the floor. One of our members gave me the idea of cutting 4x4 plywood squares to put under the feet to spread out the load and help level the cots. I'll be following his lead on that one for sure. Brilliant!

We used to the use the Coleman Deluxe cots but while they're super comfy, they were too bulky. So we just switched to these Teton Adventurer cots and use the Coleman pads from the old cots to provide extra cushion.

Hahaha, the video of it is pretty funny. I'll add that to my list and probably give it a shot.

Good idea with the plywood too.

Have to agree with this... We have the same ones (don't think they are the XL) that we bought after years of sleeping on some cheapo Costco special ones that every time I tried to load/unload them from the vehicle I wanted to huck them off a cliff! The Tetons are AWESOME, super comfortable (no cross bar in the back) and setup real quick. Most of all the pack down into a small case that is easily stowable and not overly heavy.

Love the tassels! Are they functional? ;) :rofl:

I'd get a canvas tent with a wood burning stove in a heartbeat if I thought I'd use it for long enough periods of time to justify the expense and the time it takes to set one up. They're awesome for winter camping for sure, but not something I'd bother with unless I was staying a week or more in one place.
Check out the kodiak and other springbar canvas tents. You will be amazed at how quickly they go up. Hell, I can put mine up by myself in about 20 minutes and that is with me throwing out a tarp for under it and staking that down.

Check out the kodiak and other springbar canvas tents. You will be amazed at how quickly they go up. Hell, I can put mine up by myself in about 20 minutes and that is with me throwing out a tarp for under it and staking that down.

Yeah... No. I like my 30 seconds with the Gazelle for short trips :)

Where is the best place to buy a Gazelle? AKA quickest to receive? We leave next week for our trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom