Tent heating ideas for winter camping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for sources/ideas for various portable heaters (for winter camping). Temperatures down to as low as -25C.

I'm aware of Planar diesel heaters, as well as the endless Chinese clones. Also aware of Propex kits from Adventure Trailers in the US. I'm not looking to spend what these options are asking for.

Specifically interested in dry-air heat (ie. no Propane Buddy heaters), or other methods of keeping comfortably warm.

Are there other ready-to-go options that I'm missing which would be suitable for a tailer-mounted RTT? Tent is a FreeSpirit Recreation M60 Adventure Series. I'm aware of FSR's insulated Tri-Layer fabric option, but it's fairly expensive and tough to justify for two-three winter camping trips per year.

Current plan is to install some of the pink home insulation panels on both the interior of the RTT (I figure I get away with 1/2"-1" of insulation there) and on the bottom (1" will be an easy fit). This should give me around R7-R9 of insulation, depending on the products used. I'll also remove the current tent mattress, and replace it with the (slightly smaller) Exped Megamat Duo LW (which I already have); that's another R9 worth of insulation. Then I'll get sleeping bags rated to -30C, and leave the current 100%-down comforter on top. That should provide & retain plenty of warmth in the sleeping bags, but it would be great to have some warm air around the bags, too.

Any cost-effective ideas?

There should be a safe way to take the dwindling, but still hot coals of a campfire up into the the tent with you as a bedwarmer. Btw, I have done zero research on this idea, just popped in my head. Def could be cheap and effective.

I only recently came across Planar heaters, but seem to be in the high end price range.
I’d be afraid of heating and then collecting condensation when you fold up and move.
Have you any experience with Planar stuff?
I’m a firm advocate of warmer bag and wearing a balaclava when you sleep.
Company never hurts!? 😉 but I’m not a fan of heaters.

My biggest complaint about the heaters your interested in, is the development of condensate. Without bringing in outside air, like the Planar would, you'll have to deal with it.

There should be a safe way to take the dwindling, but still hot coals of a campfire up into the the tent with you as a bedwarmer. Btw, I have done zero research on this idea, just popped in my head. Def could be cheap and effective.

When my wife and I are camping in sub-zero weather we find a nicely shaped 10ish pound rock or two and heat them up next to the fire and then put them in our bed.
We heat them to the point that they are just a little too hot to handle with bare hands. Then I bring them into the bed/sleeping bag with gloves on and wrap them in towels.
They make getting to bed comfortable and are especially nice on cold feet.
The downside is they don't last all night.
The upside, free.

Currently leaning towards buying this double, -37C sleeping bag.

A heated bunk/pad is also a good idea, but the trailer won't have batteries until after this trip. All things considered, I'd like to have a diesel heater, but that idea will have to wait a few years, until we get a hard-sided teardrop/similar trailer.

I’ve never tent camped below 5*F.

But, I find a good wool blanket insulates any sleeping pad... mitigating any cold air.

A good bag, topped with another good wool blanket makes even my feet stay warm.

Add a good dog on each side of you and you are guaranteed to last comfortably thru the night.

Colder than that, I worry about my sanity and just stay home.

But, I’ve read that a Teepee stays very comfortable, with a campfire in the middle and the smoke venting thru the peak.

Heated blanky for the win. A 2nd body helps a bunch too. My electric throw heats up quick and we actually had to turn it off after about 30 min, it was too effective.

Now that morning cold air is another story. Wife wasn't pleased about that.

3 or 4 fire bricks in the campfire all day. just before turning in for the night, wrap them up in a few layers of foil n toss em into the foot of the bedding. i've got 2 baking pans that 3 will fit into so that's what i use instead of foil. x3 on the company, now if only i could persuade (read that seduce) a certain redheaded hottie to join me, i'd be golden.

So I've bought & received the TETON Fahrenheit Mammoth double sleeping bag, along with their liner. Rated to -18C (on the "extreme" side of the rating spectrum). Very big, bulky bag that should provide decent warmth.

Also bought a 5KW Chinese diesel heater (clone of Planar) off eBay. Should have that in a few weeks - will see how well it works. The heater and the sleeping bag together will likely be huge overkill, but if the heater fails for any reason, the bag will not.

ok, you gotta school this ole relic, who is this christina hendricks you speak of?

You are about to discover something wonderful ;).

wow! this google thing is awesome

I'm waiting to hear your thoughts once you figure out that you can go into Google search settings and turn off "safe mode". ;)

I'm waiting to hear your thoughts once you figure out that you can go into Google search settings and turn off "safe mode". ;)
:hmm:mud is a family friendly site right? so we'll just say my thoughts mirror any red blooded male with a virile heart beat's thinking.
oh, by the way, she's hauntingly similar to the one that derailed this thread🤤

I was at Expo East last week a dude in a Jeep had this mounted to his bumper...looked EXACTLY like this...plus you can get the heaters on fleabay for a little over 100 now. what I really like is the whole system is away from the tent...a lot less chance of anything going wrong inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom