Tent heating ideas for winter camping? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

856800ec41bcdca6c2ec45b757e1eb3e.jpg

Proper planning and preparation prevent piss-poor performance ( the 7p's)

Holy cow, Batman...I was just looking at that like 3 days ago on Ebay. Any issues with having it outside, pump the warm air to inside?

That's a perfect solution for me, unless the unit can't take the cold for some reason.

Oh yea...the Foxwing with a stove jack I sewed in.View attachment 2114679

Keep in mind there are about a million vendors that sell nearly identical units, and they are NOT all identical. Some people end up with missing parts or other problems.

I bought from this particular seller because when I looked at the sale history for that unit, I saw that the same person bought 4 units in three separate transactions over a few weeks' time; clearly they must have been happy with what they were getting to continue buying more, so I made the plunge. (Edit: just looked at the transaction history again, and the same guy has bought another one of these heaters.)

Keeping it outside is exactly what I plan to do. It's supposed to work fine to -40C or something like that, but who knows how well it'll actually perform. I'll do a separate review after actually trying it out in the wild (mid November).

So, what's the advantage of burning diesel over local hardwood? Is there areas where they won't allow you to burn wood?? It is a bit more hassle than diesel, and you might have to wake up more at night to feed wood. The wood you can find in the bush though, and breathing woodsmoke is preferable to diesel exhaust.

So, what's the advantage of burning diesel over local hardwood? Is there areas where they won't allow you to burn wood?? It is a bit more hassle than diesel, and you might have to wake up more at night to feed wood. The wood you can find in the bush though, and breathing woodsmoke is preferable to diesel exhaust.

Easier temperature control, not having to get up (or even wake up!) at night to feed the fire, no need to haul around (what I'm presuming to be) a bulky, heavy wood stove, and of course, no need to collect/quarter/chip the firewood. Convenience, basically.

just stumbled on this gem, of course "tent" configuration matters.
DIY wood stove from a paint can, pretty clever.

that is funny you posted that, I ran across that one the other night also. I have been researching small RV stoves and that one came up... I've got a trailer project going now and am really considering a little wood stove for it.

For now, I'm a double bag-it guy. socks, long johns, 20 degree bag inside another 20 degree bag... can't beat it. Add a fleece sleeping bag liner for even more, plus the padding gets pretty plush! I learned the hard way about cheap air mattresses... shivered all night at Area BFE in Moab in March about 10 years ago. But an actual Thermarest, or better yet 2 of them stacked, makes a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom