Tent Attached To the rear door. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody used the SUV type tent that attaches to the rear hatch door? There are several brands out there that supposily will fit the 80. What are the pros and cons on this type set-up?

They seem reasonably priced, you don't need a ladder to get into them, what else?

SS

Last edited:
I got one that attaches to the back of the pickup with a shell. The only problem we have encountered is that this does not seal good agains bugs, and we got bugs here:crybaby: So, if we use this, then I tape all the joints to the vehicle and plug any holes with socks and other clothing. Kind of a pain, but sure worth it.

Last edited:
It would suck having to unload all your gear just to make enough room to sleep. Simlicity is great though...

Yeah, but we haven't used it but 4 times so far. I have been thinking about this and have decided that if we do any extended "camping", then I will try and put stuff in boxes or totes so that it is easier to empty the bed. Another idea I have is to remove the rear seat and stow all my crap in there in totes and leave the bed empty. Works for one or two nighters:)

I got the one from Campmor for $100. It works great for the price. I threw the gear under the rig and put a blow up mattress in the back which fit perfectly with the tailgate down. Wife and kid slept in there comfortably and I was outside in my own tent. It fits my 60 and 80. I originally wanted the one from SOR but couldn't justify the price. I don't use it that often, so I'm glad I got the $100 one. I agree with Coldtaco on it not sealing perfectly, but you can make it work with a little effort like he said. Sorry don't have any pics of it on.

cruiseroutfit said:
It would suck having to unload all your gear just to make enough room to sleep. Simlicity is great though...

Kurt,

I have the drawer system and the second row seats down for sleeping and or storage. I am thinking about putting a 2'x 4' swing away hitch hauler on the back of the Cruiser for gear. Then when setting up just disconnect the hauler and a few things out of the rear of the Cruiser and your set. As we all know no system is without drawbacks. But it seems that not carring a trailer behind you for short trips would be nice. Typically I would use this system for say 3-4 nights at a time. I also have the Aero Queen bed for comfort.
Also on a side note, typically these trips will be for bird hunting, and it is a pain with a trailer behind you on one way logging roads, etc, Trailers in expedition travel in the U.P. have lots of problems. Just trying to figure out if this is the system for me... before starting to buy another trailer, get it set up etc.

SS

Last edited:
Steve:

Picked up the 80 yesterday. Drove it home from Seattle.

As for your dilemma, BITE THE BULLET!!!

351444.jpg

Mike,

Congrats on moving on up to the 80. Glad your part of the club finally. That 60is a classic but as you know the 80 rocks... Yea I know about bitting the bullet, lol. I really like that Queen aerobed. Will it fit in your set-up?

SS

Last edited:
Steve;

The interior is 71'W X 87"L. Big tent in large size. Got one on my trailer, and am selling them to a number of guys setting up trailer rigs for trails, expeditions and for bird hunting/fishing/surfing/relief work, geology work/white water fun...

Sooo... if YOU sleep in the back of the 80, WHERE DO THE DOGS SLEEP? wHAT DO YOU DO WITH THEIR CRATES?

Just a thot.

M

Mike,

Well before they were in the insulated dog trailer. Hey I don't have all the answers, lol. That is why I am still asking questions, getting advice. What color of 80 did you get?

SS

Steve

The '96 FZJ80 is a light metallic grey over dark grey. No roof rack, leather, OME, ARB front bumper, Kaymar dual pivot rear bumper with spare tire carrier, 50 gallon fule capacity, gold bling, 110K miles. Drives nice. Needs good tires and sliders, working antenna, cigarette lighter seems to need a new fuse.

I will be fooling with it this weekend.

Mike

PS: I was kidding about the tent / trailer thing, of course! Hoser has a tent that you might try - the price is right.

Mike S said:
Steve

The '96 FZJ80 is a light metallic grey over dark grey. No roof rack, leather, OME, ARB front bumper, Kaymar dual pivot rear bumper with spare tire carrier, 50 gallon fule capacity, gold bling, 110K miles. Drives nice. Needs good tires and sliders, working antenna, cigarette lighter seems to need a new fuse.

Mike,

Is that the one I told you about? Man sounds like a very nice ride. Now you have to paint your trailer to match.:) Let's see the pics DUDE.....

SS

Steve

I bought this truck in Seattle. Flew up there, drove it home. I'll get some pictures. And yes, I am going to repaint the trailer box then Line-X the inside, fenders, and tailgate. BLING! I will also change the wheels on the trailer to standard FZJ80 wheels. One thing at a time,

Let's see... FJ40, FJ60, FZJ80...I am a newbie again!

M

Mike S said:
Steve

I bought this truck in Seattle. Flew up there, drove it home. I'll get some pictures. And yes, I am going to repaint the trailer box then Line-X the inside, fenders, and tailgate. BLING! I will also change the wheels on the trailer to standard FZJ80 wheels. One thing at a time,

Let's see... FJ40, FJ60, FZJ80...I am a newbie again!

M

Mike,

You must match the trailer to the 80. Bling, Bling. Who checked the 80 out for you? So first you advise me to buy an 80, and then some 9 months later buy yours. Hey and its grey too. Enjoy it big boy, it is a great hunting and expedition truck as you well know. Now your long tails will really be proud of their Daddy.:)

SS

Mike S said:
... cigarette lighter seems to need a new fuse.

Probably the fusible link that is part of the cig lighter assembly. It can be replaced or bypassed with a solid wire. I would try to replace it if you can. This is a fairly common problem if you try to use the cig lighter for something like an air compressor or any heavy loads.

-B-

Beowulf

Thanks. I fixed the issue - at least partially. Cigarette lighter now works, but the cell phone power unit won't work. Dunno why. Can't be a fuse or link.

Looking for a working power antenna now.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom