Tent advice - Idaho in September (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I need some advice, as I am unfamiliar with the climate in this area during this time of the year. Or bears...

I'm headed to Idaho for a 10 day long bear hunt the last week of September.

I need a tent that will hold up to the elements that may be prevalent @ nearly 8,000 feet. There will be 3 dudes, so space is a concern.

Any suggestions?

Anyone have experience with ironman or arb swags?

Aussie mates post up!

Easy choice, IF you are car camping. Go with Springbar or Kodiak.

What part of Idaho and when in September? Idaho will still be very comfortable feeling during the day, but will definitely get cold at night in September. Can't go wrong with a big wall tent. Are you needing space for cots? Give us a little more info.

B

You need a wall tent with a little wood burning stove in it. The weather can be 70* one day and snowing the next, you have to be prepared for a wide range of weather and temperatures.

I would get on it, wall tents take a while to order, deliver, set-up, make guy lines and frame etc...

I use galvanized steel poles with pole connectors at the ends. They are easy to use and will hold the snow.

Springbar Colossus.

Behold!!!

The Command Post Tent! 11' x 11' Aluminum framed bomb shelter

roamwoodstove.jpg

That will work, the stove is the key.

Up here I like to use an old military tent. This tent was used in Korea in the 50's, which makes it over 60 years old. It is one heavy son-of-a-bitch...but it's better than anything I've come across. It's a waxed canvus and the water just runs right off it. Add a 30 gal pot belly stove and I've been comfortable in -20.

Wow, thanks for the information guys.

We will be hunting the sawtooth zones 42,43,44. I believe the area is called bear valley?
Looks to be very near Oregon.

We will be there the 16th - the 26th.

Here's the area

image.jpg

Up here I like to use an old military tent. This tent was used in Korea in the 50's, which makes it over 60 years old. It is one heavy son-of-a-bitch...but it's better than anything I've come across. It's a waxed canvus and the water just runs right off it. Add a 30 gal pot belly stove and I've been comfortable in -20.
That's cool. So how hard is that to set up?

It's a two man job for sure. One person takes the center post and crawls in the door and raises the tent. Then the other puts the corner posts in and stakes them out. Once the corners are in, then the middle and front / back get posts and staked down. Then you go back and re-stake and set tension on all the guy lines that need it. It can go up in as little as 25 minutes, I know because there was 2 feet of snow once when we set it up. The stove portion takes about that long to set up because of all the pieces of pipe.

We usually hunt elk for about a week and for that long of a time a big tent is the way to go. It can sleep 6 comfortably with cots and bag areas. I wish I had pictures of the inside, but I just don't.

You need a wall tent with a little wood burning stove in it. The weather can be 70* one day and snowing the next, you have to be prepared for a wide range of weather and temperatures.

I would get on it, wall tents take a while to order, deliver, set-up, make guy lines and frame etc...

I use galvanized steel poles with pole connectors at the ends. They are easy to use and will hold the snow.

Agreed. We used a 16X20 internal frame for four guys. That included the dining table, wood stove, 4 cots, and a woodpile inside. We use a large tarp under the cot/sleeping area, but not under the stove. We had a separate cooking area and stored food, drinks, and extra gear in the 7X14 enclosed trailer.

Yes, in Oct at 8000 feet here, you need to be prepared for anything, literally. Bluebird days of sun and 80+ or rain/snow mix for the entire trip, but a typical day could start out frosty and be in the 70s by noon. Layers are your friend. Wear some wicking layers closest to your skin, topped with fleece or wool, and have a soft shell outer as well. Good packs are a must, too. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Last edited:
Just across the border here in Montana I use a Montana canvas wedge tent. The design holds the heat low so long nights stay comfortable. It will work with three, but is a little tight if you are using cots.

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Is that a sewn in floor in your wedge tent?

Yes. They come standard with sewn floor and screen doors on both ends. Of course you could delete the options if you wanted to.

Where do you buy that?

Jeez I'm from the gulf coast - a fire in a tent? That's crazy lol
Of course, I consider 3 consecutive days under 32* inclement weather & won't venture outside.

Just across the border here in Montana I use a Montana canvas wedge tent. The design holds the heat low so long nights stay comfortable. It will work with three, but is a little tight if you are using cots.

I want... Where to find?

For those of you who care about these kind of things, this tent is called a Tent, General Purpose, Small in the army. It is a great tent if you have a duce an'half to carry it around.

[URL="http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc452/snobdds/IMG_0099_zps55737b44.jpg"] [/URL]

Montana Canvas makes the wedge tent I posted up. They are made in Belgrade Montana. We've had ours for about a year and have used it far more than the travel trailer we used to have. http://www.montanacanvas.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom