Temporary Paint Touchup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ40's paint is looking a little old and faded. But it's been that way since I bought her. And I never really liked the red much to begin with.

A previous owner painted the inside all black. And the undercarriage. And did a pretty poor job of it. Some of the paint in the back is flaking. Some of the paint on the undercarriage is fading. And some part weren't really hit by his s*** paint job to begin with (anything about the skid plate)...

Thus far, the tub is in pretty solid shape. A little rust is starting to form on the surface, mostly around the back where the emblems, tire carrier mount and soft top tie downs were (tire carrier was previously removed, I took off the emblems and the tie downs).

Some of the paint inside the tub is starting to look like it might start flaking off soon.

And, I've decided to finally fix my gas gauge. And am convinced that I'll have to pull the roll cage out to get the gas tank cover off (I can see a bunch of gunk on the top of the sender unit that's gonna have to be cleaned, and I'm sure I'll need more access than the hole). And, I'm not sure what condition it's still in under the gas tank but I expect that I'll have something to clean up under there.

Given that I expect to find a bunch of surface rust that I'll want to clean off and coat and am planning to repaint the entire body in another 2-3 (ok, 5) years, and would like to get some nice quality paint (one of these fancy urethanes?), any suggestions on anything that's quick and easy to put a coat or two on now, and can scruff up a little and paint over when I get around to doing that job in whole?

And what is the best way to deal with all the backing plates / "speed nuts" on the inside of the body that are beginning to corrode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom