Temperature sending unit annnnndddd?...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright here we go 1974 FJ40 stock. To set the repair mood... I was noticing some bubbling out of the radiator cap and it relieved pressure hence spraying coolant throughout the engine bay. I looked into it a little further and did a compression test to see if it may be head gasket related. The forward most piston read 105 psi while the other five were reading between 125-130. Motor is original never to my knowledge been gone through 1974 F1.5. There was exhaust gas coming through the radiator fluid per the dye test kit that looks like a Swedish made Austin Powers penis enlarger pump. Oil has no sign of radiator fluid and no white smoke. So I took the head off and the plan is to do a gasket kit and replace water pump, radiator, thermostat, and necessary sensors while I'm at it. I appears as though there are two temperature sending units on the head. The first was easy to find with the inner portion being flat in nature. The second appears to have a nipple and I'm yet to find it and/or identify what I should replace it with. Take a look at the pics , the second one shows original placement of the 'nippled' one. Please advise what I've got going on thanks.
fj1.jpg
fj2.jpg

I've got two on my 12/78 as well. I agree with Dizzy - one for the computer and emissions stuff. Both mine appear to be almost identical. Maybe only slight differences as if one was replaced some time ago. Maybe the one you have with the nipple is badly corroded or broken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom