Temperature gauge reading HOT!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is about 70 degrees here today and this morning the gauge in my 89 FJ62 read normal. When I left work tonight, drove about two miles home, the gauge was all the way to hot. What could be causing this? Anyone had similar problems? Thanks.

did the fuel gauge also go to the full?

mine did the same after a long trip....apperantly I had driven through a BIG swarm of bees in Mexico ...totally covered the truck with splat marks and filled the fins on the rad with bug guts...took forever to clean it out at our camp site the next morning!!!!

Smell like anti-freeze fluid? Look at your hoses, maybe one blew off. Had that happen, very upsetting!

gauges are to tell you to stop, something isn't right ignoring them could prematurly reck your motor. My advice is to get some good mechnical gauges and when they say hot, stop shut off your truck, and either call a tow truck or asses and fix the situation!

dfmorse said:
Smell like anti-freeze fluid? Look at your hoses, maybe one blew off. Had that happen, very upsetting!

There is no fluid smell.

Landpimp said:
did the fuel gauge also go to the full?

The reason that Pimp is asking about the fuel gauge is that the temp and fuel gauges share a common voltage regulator in the body of the temp gauge. So of the temp spikes and the fuel gauge goes nuts simultaenously it's probably the voltage regulator that crapping out. Try searching for more info - you can disassemble the gauge cluster and dress the voltage regulator contacts or you can just buy a new fuel gauge. If you go the new route contact Cruiser Dan at American Toyota (see ad banner) for a good deal and the right part.

Harry

Mine does the same thing. It seems to do it only when I fill the fuel tanks full. They also share the same ground point. If the ground is bad then electricty will search for another ground. I have not looked too much at mine because I know that it is not overheating. Maybe this winter I'll open her up. Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom