Temp. rise after engine off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

My '83 60 stock 2F is heating up after I shut it down, it hasn't over heated/spilled antifreeze yet but comes very close. I just replaced the thermostat and waterpump, the radiator was tested to 35psi at the time and no leaks were found. It stays very cool while driving. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think this is normal, when shut off there is no circulation(or air or water)............so the temps will rise for a while.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I just never noticed before and after putting on these new parts I was checking the temp. and noticed that.

Thanks again.

the carb cooling fan on the drivers side quit working and caused my Fj60 to do the same thing. I was worried about it getting too hot after shutdown so I took the fan out and cleaned it and tested it only to realize it was a bad relay that was keeping the fan from coming on. Since then I have replaced the waterpump, radiator, thermostat, radiator cap and all the hoses only to see it still get hot after shutdown :p so be your own judge :D

So the fan was no help either? Even after you got that going?

[quote author=FJ55 link=board=1;threadid=8604;start=msg73415#msg73415 date=1071002026]
[/quote]
It shouldn't help, it is designed to cool the carb after shutdown to prevent vapor lock and the bowl from boiling over.
Don't worry. They ALL do this, because with the engine shut off, the same coolant is sitting in the block absorbing heat from the engine, and not being circulated and cooled. Absolutely normal.

My temp sensor defaults to H when I turn the ignition off. Could this be your issue? Try disconnecting your sensor at the engine and see if the same thing happens.

[quote author=FJ55 link=board=1;threadid=8604;start=msg73415#msg73415 date=1071002026]
[/quote]

it kept the temp out of the red but that's all. After replacing every component in the cooling system I'm convinced (like the rest here) that its perfectly normal.

YES, the fan is actually designed to blow air on the carb but it points directly at the exhaust manifold too, which I believe is the heat source after shutdown.

My 25 doesn't come with an expansion tank/reservoir, so when the radiator level is up, it takes a leak in its parking spot after I shut it down. Kind of like marking it's territory. :cheers:

[quote author=Cruiser_Nerd link=board=1;threadid=8604;start=msg73865#msg73865 date=1071071351]
My 25 doesn't come with an expansion tank/reservoir, so when the radiator level is up, it takes a leak in its parking spot after I shut it down. Kind of like marking it's territory. :cheers:
[/quote]

;) that's just sweat from hard work :D if I overfill my FJ60 or my Fj45 radiator it will dump what it doesnt want on shutdown.

Thank you everyone for all your input. I guess I'll just leave good enough alone.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom